4.

Revolves Around You

 

Prompt: Sehun is a famous dancer who injures himself and is unable to dance again. Luhan is a stranger who tells him nothing is impossible. 

Word count: 1,865


"We all need someone who we can confide in. Someone we trust." 

Sehun grunts. "Who?" 

"That's for you to find out." The therapist smiles sweetly. "You need to find that person and then you won't be so sad all the time anymore." She leans forward and pats Sehun's knee. Sehun eyes her warily, knowing that she knows he can't feel a thing. She catches his eye and retracts her hand. "Sorry," she says. 

Sehun scoffs and rolls his eyes. "You can leave." He puts his hands on the wheelhair and rolls off. " yourself out." 

 

Everyday is a struggle for Sehun. Getting out of bed, getting dressed, taking showers, opening doors, making breakfast, even sleeping is a struggle. Sometimes he calls Jongin over to help but Jongin's busy with his career. The same career path Sehun could have continued if he hadn't got into the accident. 

Sehun uses his arms to push himself slightly off the chair to reach the peanut butter. His fingertips graze the surface but it only pushes it further away. He falls back down on the chair and sighs. "Damn you, Jongin," he mumbles. He wheels away from the counter and settles on drinking two glasses of milk and toast. He pushes himself into the living room and calls Tao. 

"What?" Tao mumbles, sounding sleepy. 

"It's already eleven, why are you still asleep?" 

"Don't ask. Why are you calling?" 

"Can you come over?" Sehun asks. "I'm hungry and Jongin put the peanut butter jar too far away. I can't reach it." 

Tao sighs and Sehun can hear the faint sound of someone else's mumbles in the background. "I'll be there in fifteen minutes." 

 

"You need to get someone to help take care of you. I can't come over all the time and Jongin's busy." Tao finishes spreading the peanut butter on the bread and hands it to Sehun. "And it's about time you find a girlfriend or something. You're not going to be doing anything, might as well fall in love." 

Sehun takes a bite of the sandwich and then thanks Tao. "I'm not finding anyone. I don't need anyone." 

Tao scoffs. "You called me over to make you a sandwich, Sehun." 

"Still." 

Sehun rolls out of the kitchen, Tao trailing after him, telling him off for finding a girlfriend. Sehun zones him out until he hears, "You're not going to become a dancer again, Sehun. Stop moping around and move on!" 

Sehun stops chewing, the peanut butter suddenly tasting bitter and thick in his mouth. 

", Sehun, I'm sorry. I-" 

"It's okay. You can leave now. I won't bother you anymore." 

"Sehun, that's not what I meant. Look-"

"It's fine. Bye, Tao. Thanks for your help." Sehun drops the sandwich on the plate on his lap. His eyes become moist and he hastily wipes them. "Sorry for being an inconvenience." 

 

Sehun had somehow ended up in a cafe that night, eating a sandwich, lettuce falling from between the bread slices. He sighs and picks them up from the napkin he placed under his food. He sticks them back into the sandwich and continues eating. He stares outside at the people, smiling, laughing, walking.

Sehun puts the sandwich back into the brown bag it came in and places it aside. He holds the warm cup of tea in his hands and stares at the liquid inside. He blows air into it to cool it down and then takes a small sip. The liquid travels down his throat and warms his stomach. Even though he was sitting around people, Sehun had never felt more alone.

Tao, out of all people, didn't believe in him. He didn't believe that Sehun could dance again. He was injured, yes, he knew. How could he forget? 

Sehun feels tears welling up in his eyes and he takes another sip of tea. But his emotions overcome him and he lets out a choked sob.

"Hey, you okay?" 

Sehun buries his face in his hands and folds his body in half so that his arms are on his lap and he cries openly, not caring that he was attracting stares. 

"Hey."

Sehun feels a hand on his back, rubbing comforting circles. Sehun tries to compose himself, but it doesn't work. All he can think of is how much of a failure he is and how he'll never do anything great with his life. 

"Are you okay?" Sehun feels someone's hand touch his bicep and then travel to his hand, where they tug experimentally to see if Sehun would budge. He does and lets the person take his hands away. "Why are you crying?"

Sehun only shakes his head and cries more. The stranger puts his arm around Sehun's back and gives Sehun a one-armed hug. "Tell me what's wrong. I'll help you." 

Sehun hiccups and looks up. He wipes his eyes with his sleeves and blinks tears away from his eyes. "I'm a failure," he croaks.

The person smiles softly and shakes his head. "How so?"

"Look at me! I can't even walk!" 

"So?" 

Sehun looks at the man incredulously. "What do you mean, 'so?' I can't do anything if I can't walk!" 

"How'd you get here?" The man smiles. "See? You can do things." The man takes out a napkin and hands it to Sehun. "Here." Sehun takes it from him and blows his nose. "Don't feel bad. You're not a failure." 

"I am." 

"No, you aren't. You're Oh Sehun, aren't you?"

Sehun looks at the man with wide eyes. "How do you know?" 

"You were famous. Still kind of are. See?" The man points outside, to where there are a crowd of girls staring at him, holding little banners that say, 
"Oh SeHun." When they see him look in their direction, they squeal and wave. "You have fans that love everything you did. Don't let your injuries stop you from doing what you want." 

"I'm a dancer. Dancers need legs to dance," Sehun points out. "I'm nothing without them," he adds in a whisper. 

"If you can't dance, find something else you're good at. That's what I did. Draw, paint, make music, take care of kids, test mattresses." 

Sehun laughs at the last one, only a small laugh, but it's there. "Dancing's about the only thing I'm good at." 

"No, I don't think so. I think you have a lot more potential than that. Have you ever tried walking? Maybe you're still sitting on this wheelchair even if you can walk." He taps his temple. "It might be all in here. You just have to try or you'll never find out. Nothing is impossible. They thought that the world was flat at one point. But someone said, 'that's not right' and proved them wrong." The man stands up. "Nothing is impossible, Oh Sehun. I hope you're feeling better. Sometimes we just need to let it out, you know?" He waves goodbye and then walks away. 

Sehun sputters to find words and turns around quickly to see the man at the door. "Who are you?" he asks. 

"Your fan," the man replies before he opens the door and disappears from sight. 

 

Sehun meets the stranger again three years later. 

Jongin was telling him that Luhan, his best student, was coming later and Sehun needed to meet the guy to help Jongin put together a piece. Sehun had refused, saying that he needed to do laundry or else he'd run out of things to wear. 

He was leaving the studio when he bumped into him, talking on the phone and holding a little girl's hand. Sehun rolls down the ramp and stops right in front of the man. The man stops and stares at him for a moment with quizzical eyes but then a look of realization dawns in his eyes and he tells the person on the other side of the phone, "Hold on. I'll call you back." He puts his phone away and then tells the little girl to wait a little bit. "Oh Sehun," he says.

Sehun smiles. "I don't think you introduced yourself to me before."

"Lu Han." 

Sehun's eyes widen. "Y-you're Luhan?" 

"Jongin told me to come." Luhan gestured to the studio. "I heard you became a dance teacher." 

"Yea, I did." 

"Why?" Luhan glances down at the little girl and tells her to hush and stop jumping around. 

"Because you told me that nothing was impossible. Dancing again would be hard, but teaching it is the next best thing, don't you think?" 

Luhan nods. "Were you about to leave?" 

"Oh, yea. I didn't know that it was you that was going to come." 

"Good thing I met you here then." Luhan smiles and walks to behind Sehun's wheelchair where he grabs the handles and begins pushing Sehun up the ramp. "Come on, Hara." 

Sehun lets Luhan push him back inside the building, the little girl, who Luhan introduced as his step-sister, skipping along. Luhan pushes the door open and Sehun wheels himself in. Jongin looks up from where he's fiddling with the speakers and waves at Luhan. "Oh, you're back?" 

Sehun nods. "Met Luhan on the way out." 

"Good we can skip the introductions." Jongin reaches his arms out and Hara jumps into them, yelling, "Hello, Kai!" Jongin spins her around and then puts her back on the floor. "Let's get started then." Luhan takes out his iPod and plugs it into the speaker and Jongin presses play.

Sehun watches as Luhan moves to the music and thinks he's fallen in love. 

 

"You know why I came up to you that night?" Luhan asks. He runs his fingers through Sehun's hair and stops right at his nape. 

"Why?" Luhan leans in and presses a light kiss on Sehun's lips. "It wasn't because I was crying and you knew who I was?" Sehun mumbles. 

"Well, yes, but there was another reason too," Luhan says, moving down and kissing Sehun's collarbones. 

"What?"

"Because I was like you one point in life." Luhan's eyes flicker to his right arm. "I couldn't move this arm for about a year. I just couldn't. I was a painter. How do you think I felt?" He waits for Sehun to answer, but when Sehun says nothing, he continues. "I felt exactly like you. Like a failure. But I found something else. Music." Luhan lies down beside Sehun on the bed. "I started to dance. It was hard, but eventually my arm started working again. It was all in my head. The only reason why it stopped moving, was because I didn't try and thought too much about it." Luhan pokes Sehun's forehead. "Maybe we can try to help you walk one day. Maybe you'll be able to walk again." 

Sehun smiles. "You know, the day before I met you, my therapist told me that I needed to find someone to lean on, someone I could confide to. The day I met you, my friend told me I should settle down and find a girlfriend or something." Sehun turns his head so that he's facing Luhan. "Is that a weird coincidence?" 

"I don't know. It might be fate," Luhan says. 

"That's impossible, Luhan. There's no such thing." 

"Nothing is impossible." 


This is going to be my last update for a while. I'm going to be really busy in the upcoming weeks, so don't expect too many updates (once or twice a week at most) I am also going to shamelessly advertise here because this is my story and I do what I want. XD You can skip this if you want~ 

I finished "It's Complicated" last month and I really want to advertise it. So if you want, please donate a few points. I'll pay all you guys back if I don't win, and I'll still pay you back if I do. It might take a while for me to pay you back, but I promise that I will. I'm really attached to it, it being my first successful story here on AFF, so if you can, please, please donate. I haven't really made up a date on when I want to advertise it, but I have an idea. If you don't want to donate, please at least check it out. It would mean a lot to me. 

Okay, I'm going to stop begging now, lol. Thanks everyone for reading and commenting! <3 <3 Much love~

P.S. Can we talk about how cute Sehun is here? OMG HIS FACEEE.