Chapter 34

Blind Date
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

'Is it...that hard?'

Haneul gave up on her luggage and sobbed until she has no energy left to cry. Even though she was occupied with her feelings at the moment, she did realized that Soojin has been sitting beside her, trying to comfrot her by passing the tissue every once in a while when she thinks Haneul needs it. Haneul knew Soojin always has a warm heart. No matter how much she tried to be harsh on her, her soft side still showed up when it needed to. 

Haneul nodded to her question. 'It has always been hard. Since the beginning. Since my dad is not around. But it just gets harder. I have so much regrets. I am so angry and sad and disappointed, all at the same time. With myself. I miss him. I should have said that to him when I could. I should have told him that I miss him, that I like him, I love him when he's there in front of me. Why does it only now that I have the urge to say that to him? When I can't anymore? He is still in front of me since I could stare at the back of his head everyday, yet he is just so far away for me to reach him. We're just merely strangers now.'

A sudden thought hit Soojin. To get close to someone requires a lot of effort and time but only a second could ruined it all. A single mistake. Only a single action could change everything. Two best friends could change into nemesis overnight. Two lovers, who thought of forever change into strangers right after the word 'break up' muttered by one of them. And every single thing they've worked hard for, crash into pieces just by that simple action.

'He's going to Japan in four days' time so now, he's been stressing out about searching for new renter for the rooftop room. The landlord asked him to search for someone close and he asked if I knew anybody who wanted to rent the place. I don't think I know anybody who wanted to live in that place. Or would you?' Mari teased Jaeeun knowing that the girl has never gotten fond to such places.

'Seriously? Why would I wanted to live in that small space?'

'Who puts out a place for rent?' Soojin asked when she heard her friends talking something about a place for rent. Mari and Jaeeun gave a look to Soojin at first since they realized how she wasn't giving any attention when they were having conversation before. They were wondering why is she having so much interest in this. They don't think Soojin is in need of  place to stay right now.

'The sunbae I talk to you about before. The one I said who's planning to further his studies in Japan. He's searching for a person who wants to rent the rooftop room he's staying.' Mari explained.

'Immediately? Does he still stay there?'

'Do you have anyone in mind?'

'Oh about that,' Soojin didn't know how to answer Mari's question. Should she mentioned that Haneul is in need for a place to stay? 'I do. An acquaintance.' Maybe no. 'Can you give me his numbers? How much is the monthly rent?' she asked, taking in the extra information. Both of her friends still has the weird look on their face wondering who is she helping out so much for but nevertheless, Mari told her what she wanted to know. Well, she's helping out a person she knows as well, It's a win-win situation for both of them. Why should she be bothered so much by it? It is someone Soojin knows. There's nothing to worry about.

 

 

Leaning her hands against the balustrade while studying the view from the rooftop, Haneul smiled liking the place already. Haneul went straight to the address Soojin texted after class because she's scared she might lose the chance again. She was surprised at first to see there is still a person living there at first but when he introduced himself and told a little bit about him, Haneul was cleared and relief after much deliberation. The rent is still in her range she's looking for and even though it was quite far from her part time place, she found it fine when she came to like the place already. 

'Anyway,' he spoke up making Haneul to look back towards the lad. 'You can move in today if you want to. I just came by to pick my little last bits back to my parents' house. You came just right on time actually. We can meet the landlady after I'm done alright? Just give a few minutes.' he said while walking back inside. 

Haneul followed his steps. 'You must be really close to the landlady, huh? she asked while looking at the interior, now that she's inside. 

'Yeah, she has been taking care of me a lot while I'm staying here. Don't worry. She's really nice. That's why she entrusted me instead to get someone I know since she didn't want to risk on some strangers, afraid they could ruin the place. But since you're Soojin's friend, I guess I could trust you?'

'Of course. I wouldn't let this chance slip. I've been searching for a long time, I'm really happy that I got one now.'

'Why did you try to get a place when you were given hostel to stay?'

'Ah that's...' Haneul hesitated. She didn't know what to say. It's too long to tell and she didn't really know how to summarize it to tell people after minusing a few parts that should be kept by herself. It is so complicated.

'If it's personal, you don't have to tell me. It's alright. I'm being so nosy, didn't I?' he scratched the back of his head awkwardly. 'I heard a lot about you. Haneul right, you told me?' she nodded in return. That's what it makes it different now and then. No one knows her existence back in the day and now, someone just said to her that he heard a lot about her. It freaked her out a little but she managed to keep a calm face despite the shock she's having when she heard him said that. 'You don't seem like what people are talking about. Don't be scared. I don't have anything against you. I guess that's the perk of hanging out with those good looking bunch of guys? It sure brings you trouble, wasn't it?'

That's the first time Haneul ever heard someone putting the blame on others but not her. It's not like she's feeling victory after listening to that but it was quite fascinating for her because all she ever accidentally heard people are talking when she walked pass them are always something that wasn't nice to hear. Now she found out, not everyone thought the same like them. There are people who viewed the situation differently. 

'You don't believe them?' Haneul asked

'Not everyone believe what they heard. At least, not me. And by the way, I'm close to Mina. She used to get those weird story around people are making when she dated Chanyeol. I wasn't sure when she was once happy with him. Why went through so much when you were bounded to break up at the end? Everyone could see that happen. That's why they keep playing this game. Because seeing people's unhappiness is a way for them to get happy. Those bunch of lifeless people are really sad case, you know. Instead of getting up, they work so hard to bring people down to their level and they got nothing from it.' he said while picking up his things around the room into a bag. Haneul realized how the room is complete with everything as her eyes followed him. It was fully furnished. No wonder the landlady didn't want to rent the room to just anybody.

'What I can tell you is, one way to get those people away from you is to avoid the people they're paying attention on. Like Exo. They're just bunch of good for nothing guys. When you are around with all this sorts of mess, did they do anything about it? At least, assure you? It's none of their business, so why should they?' his lips twitched one side. 'I'm done. Should we-'

'They're not angels. They're human beings too. Just because people look up to them, doesn't mean they are different than any of us. They already have their own problems as it is so why should they involved in o

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter