Friendly Faces

Into the Digital World



“AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH I’M GONNA DIE !!!! MPAOSGPOAJWOFJMAPFJFFF!!“
 

Sooyoung's hair battled against the wind and spazzed out in air.
 

Sooyoung fell from the sky, and crashed into a family of ginormous trees . Her long body did not do her any good, as each of her limbs continued to snap branched on the way down.

With her face smothering the dirt, her long legs were stuck in branches above her and arms bent in awkward positions. She grunted as she untangled herself from nature and laid flat on her belly.

She then slammed her palms on the ground and moved her arms in sweeping motions. “ YESSSS!  LAND! MWAH MWAH MWAH! ” Sooyoung kissed the ground. 

 

Lifting her face up with dirt all over her face, she felt her entire body. “I’m not dead?.. I’M NOT DEAD! I FELL FROM THE HEAVENS !? AM I AN ANGEL ?!? “
 

She twisted and turned her body. “OWCH ! Okay that part hurts. ” Rubbing her right thigh.

Sooyoung got up with the help of the healthy tree and became obvious of her surroundings.

 

“This.. is a.. jungle.  I’M IN A JUNGLE!??! WHY AM I IN A JUNGLE !?? “  
 

Before thinking and analyzing what could have happened, she screamed up to the sky.
 

“GET ME OUT OF HEEEREEE !!!” And she ran with her famous Olympic style.
 

She ran for a good 5 minutes without a destination, then stopped to catch her breath. The high adrenaline and lack of athleticism took a toll on her lanky body. Reaching over to lean on a tree, she fanned to cool herself.

A while later, she stopped fanning herself and tilted her head at the random noise.

 

“The heck?”
 

Without much thought of the possible dangerous outcomes, she made her way to it.

……


Up in the sky, cute monsters perk their ears at a sudden loud sound. They brought up their gaze to the sky and witnessed what seemed to be a large object heading for a landing. They all disperse in panic as the sound got louder and louder.

“#&%()@(%*)#@*%) MAAAAADAR FADEERRRR!” 

*SPLASH*

Hyoyeon belly flopped, landing in a mid-speed river bank. She became completely submerged in the water as the speed carries her down the river.

 

“UGH!!” She surged up from the water and gasped for air. 

Hyoyeon spat out excess water in and took in much needed oxygen. Keeping her head up along the current, she knew right away she had no time to enjoy this kind of swim, and needed to get out or find an object to hold on to, fast.

 

With her limited sight, she spotted a big , floating flat piece of wood just ahead of her. She kicked her tired legs towards it and pulled herself onto the board.  
 

She immediately planned her options to get her out of this situation. But, all came to an abrupt halt when she saw what was up ahead.
 

White bubbles. Loud water rushing. 
 

“Crap. CRAP! CRAP ! That’s a frickin’ waterfall !!” She panicked.
 

“Hold on, maybe it’s not so bad. Maybe it’s a small one and I can enjoy it. Yeah! That’s possib- “ She tried her best to look further, hoping it wasn’t a steep drop.
 

Following the sound of the many loud curse words, Sooyoung knew it was a human. She was all too familiar with the words.
 

Sooyoung arrived at a the side of the big waterfall and spotted a girl with platinum blonde hair riding a wooden board.
 

“HEEY YOU!! ARE YOU OKAY??” Sooyoung waved her arms. “LOOK OVER HERE!!”
 

Sooyoung crouched down and extended one of her long legs into the water, in hopes of the platinum blondie grabbing onto it. However, the water was too cold and she quickly retracted. She couldn’t figure out what else to do, but to do the following.

“HEY GIRL!  JUMP!!” 

Hyoyeon glanced to the voice. Shocked and confused, but relieved at the same time to see another girl. She regained her thoughts and contemplated what Sooyoung suggested. 

 

“WHAT? JUMP!? YOU’RE TOO FAR! “
 

“JUST MAKE SURE TO JUMP HARDER !!”


“OH OF COURSE , WHY DON’T I JUST FLY ? ”  Hyoyeon pretended flapped her arms sarcastically.
 

Sooyoung waved her arms with great exaggeration.  “ YAAAAH! I SAID JUMP!”
 

Reaching near the tip of the river bank, terror consumed Hyoyeon. She became scared to jump over in case she couldn’t make it and fell to her doom.
 

“ARE YOU DEAF?! DID YOU HEAR ME?!”
 

“I CAN HEAR YOU PERFECTLY FINE !” 
 

“ THEN JUMP !!”
 

“I CAN’T !”


Seeing the rush of white bubbles intensify, a surge of fear hit Hyoyeon and she instantly did her biggest jump  towards the girl.
 

“OMMPPFFF” They both grunted.
 

Hyoyeon’s body landed on Sooyoung in a criss cross position. And she got off Sooyoung who was in a state of disbelief that she survived that. 
 

“ YOU’RE ALIVE!! OMG WE’RE ALIVE!!!” Sooyoung got up and did a happy dance.
 

Hyoyeon looked back at the girl, who was popping and locking. The thought of how she survived ended quickly when she was reminded by those unforgettable, frightful moves.
 

“IT’S YOU !! YOU’RE THE LANKY GIRL I MET!” Exclaimed Hyoyeon.
 

Sooyoung stopped and stared at the blonde girl for a while. “COOL !! IT’S YOU, THE DANCER GIRL !! Him Kyoyeon ??”

“It’s Kim Hyoyeon.” She corrected. “And you are?”

Sooyoung, doing an embarrassing model pose.

 

“I AM CHOI SOOYOUNG! ” She announced loud and proud.
 

“Choi Sooyoung… I know of you! You got a name for yeah around the streets. Choi Sooyoung, ‘The Shikshin’. ” Hyoyeon pointed out.
 

“That’d be me!” Sooyoung replied with a huge smile on her face. “BUDDIES?”
 

“BUDDIES!” They celebrated with a bro fist. 
 

“Shhh,” Hyoyeon put her hand in the air. “You hearing that ??” 
 

The two girls were turning their heads searching for the right direction.

…..

“WHAAAAAAT TTTTHEEEEEEE FFFFFFUUU ”

Crash landing on top of a cliff, Yuri was skidding on the harsh rocky ground. She couldn’t stop the momentum, and rolled off down the cliff.

 

“WHOAA WHOAAAA!! ” She managed to grip on a rock before falling, but the rock was weak and broke off, causing her to plummet down the rocky edge.
 

Yuri’s body continued to tumble against the rocks, until she  landed hard on her stomach. She shut both eyes tightly to help ease the pain, and remained still to collect herself.
 

Slowly opening one eye, Yuri looked up and saw green. Lots of green. She tilted her head slightly to the side and saw a glistening lake. Alarmed of what she saw,  she quickly sat up. 
 

“Agghhh,” Yuri held her side. “My everywhere hurts.” She checked her arms and legs, there were many bloody cuts and bruises forming.

Looking at her surroundings again, she stayed confused and dumbfounded.

“What .. Where in the world am I ?“ She talked to herself dazedly.  

 

“YAAH SOOYOUNG! I FOUND IT ! THE THING WE SAW FALLING FROM THE SKY !! IT’S A GIRL ! “ 
 

Yuri jolted her head upwards and saw a short girl with bright platinum blonde hair standing at the top of the waterfall. It was so bright, it was competing against the sun.
 

“WOW!” Sooyoung loomed over Hyoyeon. “ YOU REALLY WEREN’T LYING THIS TIME!”
 

“YAH! WHEN DO I EVER!? LOOK, SHE’S DARK SKINNED LIKE YOU!” Hyoyeon pointed at the tan girl sitting on the bed of pebbles.
 

Yuri watched them in confusion as they pointed at her and shouted at each other. They were seriously loud, she heard everything they said. Especially, the dark skinned comment.
 

“Tan is the new y. Stop the jealousy Hyo!” 
 

“Quit lying and let’s get down from here!” 
 

“YOU!” Sooyoung pointed and roared.
 

“YOU DARK SKINNED GIRL WHO I’M POINTING AT  SITTING RIGHT THERE ! STAY PUT !! WE ARE COMING!!” Yuri stared at them quizzically, though slightly amused. 
 

“YEAH STAY PUT !” Added Hyoyeon.
 

Yuri responded with her free hand by doing a slight wave. Waiting for them to find their way to her, she heard chit chat and bickering coming from somewhere. 
 

“AAAHH!” 
 

Sooyoung slipped and slid down a hill of dirt, grabbing Hyoyeon’s leg in the process. With the sudden grab, Hyoyeon was unable to find anything to hold on to and ended up being dragged along too.
 

Yuri faced the direction of the sound and laughed at the scene in front of her.
 

“WHOAA!” Hyoyeon yelped before sliding unattractively down with Sooyoung. 
 

Yuri carefully got up and made her way to the gong show. 
 

“YOU’RE SO HEAVY GET OFF ME!! “
“YAH PIG YOU GRABBED MY LEG!” 

 

They bickered as Hyoyeon was being bounced around from having trouble getting off a struggling Sooyoung, who wouldn’t stop wiggling around underneath.

Yuri approached them and gave Hyoyeon her hand. Once Hyoyeon was up, they both helped Sooyoung up. Patting each other from the dirt, they check for injuries.

“You guys good?” Yuri asked.

 

“Meh , would’ve been better if this thing didn’t grab me.” Hyoyeon snarled. 
 

“You were the closest stable thing I could get a hold of OK??? “ Sooyoung defended herself.

Hyoyeon glanced at Yuri and noticed her cuts and bruises. “Daaang, you look pretty beat up there.” She scrunched up her face.

 

Yuri shrugged. “It’s fine, it’ll heal itself.”  
 

 Sooyoung went up to Yuri to take a closer look at her.
 

“Hold on… YOU. I KNOW YOU!!” Sooyoung said eyeing her up and down.

“You know me?” A confused Yuri asked, “Really?”

Incapable of adding to the conversation, Hyoyeon looked at the two.

 

“YES,  YOU’RE KWON YURI !! THE GIRL THAT’S ALWAYS GETTING HUNTED BY THOSE BIG MEN!”
 

The comment surprised Hyoyeon and she also began to think about her more thoroughly.

“Huh? How do you know?” Yuri asked.

 

 “But yeah t-that’d be me.” Yuri sighed and nervously continued, “I don’t have a choice! They’ll keep coming after me until I’m dead..” 


“I know. I was told the whole story actually. Almost everything that went down in your life.” Replied Sooyoung.
 

That had perplexed Yuri. “What? How?” 

“I’m Choi Sooyoung! Daughter of the ‘CHOI-FUL FEASTING FAMILY Restaurant!’ ” She proudly proclaimed. 

Yuri and Hyoyeon raised their eyebrows at her.

 

“ Your dad used to come eat all the time with another man! He would talk about you NON STOP!“ Sooyoung finished with her arms flailing.
 

“Hmm.. That rings a bell.” Yuri made a thinking face.
 

 “I guess you must be ‘THE SHIKSHIN’ that he told me about one time!” Yuri snapped her fingers to her realization.
 

“How come he never introduced?”
 

“ONLY ONE TIME?! Aish… Well you had this other little girl that you played with all the time,” Sooyoung to wiped a fake tear. “ I feel so cheated.” She wiped the other tear.
 

“That little girl...Her name was Sooyeon. But, we got separated for years since we were kids.” Yuri sighed at the memory. 
 

“That’s one sad story.” Sooyoung spoke with a hint of sympathy. 
 

“Yeah, I doubt we’d be able to recognize or find each other now.” 
 

“Nuh uh, If you care about each other dearly, then there will always be a connection! “ Hyoyeon said optimistically. 
 

Yuri smiled softly at them.


“Anyways, enough of the sappiness.” She waved it off. “Shikshin, how about we – “
 

“I REMEMBER NOW!” Hyoyeon burst out in a loud voice.
 

All eyes shifted to her.
 

“You were the girl who I always saw running up and down the streets with men chasing you.”
 

“Is that what I’m only known for?” Yuri chuckled. “So, you must be?”
 

“I’m the girl who keeps dancing on the street! “
 

“Dancing on the street.. ?“ Yuri pondered.
 

“Yeah, I always dance in that area with the fountain where the billions of unpleasant couples make out.”
 

“I’ve totally seen you before then. I see you dancing when I run past! I’ve always wanted to dance with you.” 
 

Sooyoung cleared and interrupted this moment by wrapping her arms around each of the girls.
 

“Guys, guys. This is a precious moment. We are all long lost friends thrown into this random planet. Let’s hug .”
 

Inside the big hug, Sooyoung happily declared. “FROM NOW ON, WE ARE BEST FRIENDS!” 
 

They dispersed hugged again and hi-fived. 
 

“The three amigos!” Yuri yelled with a huge smile. 
 

“The three stooges!” Sooyoung happily shouted.
 

“YAH! We’re not the three stupids!” Hyoyeon punched Sooyoung’s arm.
 

“The three little pigs!” Sooyoung continued.
 

“YAH!! You’re the pig ! You Shikshin!” Yuri poked Sooyoung’s forehead.
 

“Enough with the violence,” Sooyoung shoved them away. “I got it. This is a good one.” She does a smart pose.
 

“We are - ” Sooyoung smiled widely.
 

During their happy moment, the sound of loud rumbling took place.
 

 “-WHOA WHOA!” Hyoyeon shoved her palm into Sooyoung’s face. “Guys, look over there!” She pointed at the direction of a huge cliff. 
 

Yuri and Sooyoung looked to where Hyoyeon pointed.
 

“Cool!! A rockslide!” Shouted Sooyoung.
 

“Idiot ! Look closer!“ Hyoyeon smacked Sooyoung and guided her  eyes. “ Those things falling don’t look like boulders!”
 

“Hey… Hyoyeon’s right. I see some… people?!” Yuri focused on the falling bodies.
 

“WHAT?! PEOPLE FELL!? I still don’t see!? ” Sooyoung yelled.
 

*BOOM!!!* *ROAAR*
 

“OH MY GOD! “ Hyoyeon stepped back a bit from what sounded like a huge explosion.
 

“WOW AWESOME! ” Yuri shouted with much thrill.
 

The three girls could only look on at the tremendous amount of dust and debris that blasted outwards in all directions..
 

“Let’s  go check it out!!” Yuri exclaimed.
 

“WHY ARE WE GOING TO SOMETHING SO DANGEROUS?!” Sooyoung cried out.
 

“Something bad must have happened!” Yuri readied herself to run towards it.
 

“They might need help!” Hyoyeon turned and shrugged.
 

“You can stay here alone!” Yuri took off.
 

“BYEEE! ~ ” Both Yuri and Hyoyeon waved as they ran off to the disaster. 
 

“YAH!!! DON’T LEAVE ME !! WAIT FOR MEEE!! ” Sooyoung hollered while she tried to catch up to the very fast running girls.


…..


Partway through the course, Sooyoung was struggling to keep up. It looked like she was in combat with nature.  Leaves and sticks in her hair, she was vividly losing the battle.

“YAAHHH! DON’T FORGET ABOUT ME!!” Sooyoung bellowed and raised her fist behind their backs.

 But, she stopped and saw the two girls ahead of her leaping and jumping over everything. She looked down at the giant obstacle in front of her; a larger than normal tree log.

“HOW am I supposed to get over this.” 

Sooyoung lifted her leg and placed her one arm on the log. She hugged the log tightly as she slowly shifted her body weight until her belly was on top completely. As she laid flat and rested her chin on the log, she took many gasps of air.

“I’m… So… unfit..” Sooyoung’s stomach gurgled.

“Great, I’m starving too.” She lazily slid off the log with her legs first, and when her feet touched the ground, she took her arms off the log. Fully overcoming the obstacle, she started to run to catch up to the barely visible girls.    

Moments later after she started running, her foot caught a root and fell head first into a tree trunk. The impact was strong that it shook the tree. She fell back holding her head in much exaggerated pain.

“Ow ow ow!! How cruel..” She said as she laid uncomfortably and unattractively on the bumpy ground. Sooyoung looked up to the sky, closed her eyes, and prayed for something good to happen. 

All of a sudden, a couple of bananas dropped down from the sky and landed on her lap.

“Huh?” Sooyoung stopped her praying and glanced down at her lap to find bananas. “FOOOOD !!!” She stood up and smiled at the sky.

“THANK YOU GOD !!” She muffled out with bananas stuffed in her face.

With a belly fed from bananas, Sooyoung became recharged and scampered off to catch up to Yuri and Hyoyeon to the rockslide.

By the looks of it, Sooyoung was making progress and was catching up to Yuri and Hyoyeon, while bellowing incoherent words.

 

Hyoyeon matched her speed with Yuri’s and made a suitable distance between the two.
 

“Yuri, did you hear that too?” Hyoyeon asked as she hurdled over a huge log.
 

Yuri  swiped some vines out of her way.
 

“I did, it sounded-” Yuri crawled up the large rock ahead of her and leaped off of it.
 

Yuri landed on her feet and took off again. “ Very high pitched? ” 
 

“It kinda sounded like a dolphin.” Hyoyeon paced beside Yuri.
 

“Dolphin?” Yuri thought.  Only she could scream that high... Could it be?... No, it’s impossible.
 

“Earth to Yuri??” 

Yuri snapped out of her daze. “Huh?”

“I’ve been saying your name, what’s up with you?” Hyoyeon asked.

 

“Sorry, didn’t hear.” Yuri said. “It’s nothing, just thinking.”
 

“About?”

“What you said,” Yuri concentrated at the direction where they were heading.

 

“It did sound like a dolphin.”