Burdened

Into the Digital World



(✿◠‿◠)><3 
Recap of last chapter : The girls got beat by the demon, Gaius. And Yuri was kidnapped by him.

--------------

 

Goddess Martel glided down the hallway to do her routine check-up after the whole incident. She felt incredible guilt for not reaching the girls in time.
 

If only she got there earlier, Yuri wouldn’t have been kidnapped. The girls wouldn’t have lost a friend.
 

Martel monitored the remaining two girls laying on their beds; who have yet woken up from their injuries. Tiffany who had fallen asleep by Taeyeon’s bedside refused to leave the room. Martel admired their great friendship.


The atmosphere was no longer wild and crazy. Martel looked over to the dining hall with the Yoona and Sooyoung merely picking at their food.
 

It wasn’t the same.
 

Every single one of them needed to be together to create synergy.  Martel returned back to her Garden to organize a plan while the girls were in a recovery state.
 

Taeyeon slowly lifted her eyelids to feel her eyes stinging from the rays of lights shining brightly. As she adjusted her sight, she found herself laying in a bed. Light from the balcony doors reflected off the pearl white walls, making her want to close her eyes again. She wanted to bring her hand to cover the brightness, but her hand was occupied.
 

There, she saw a familiar girl resting on the bedside.
 

Huh? Who’s that with the messy hair. 
 

Tiffany groggily rubbed her eye when she felt  Taeyeon’s  twitch. “Tae…Tae?”
 

Taeyeon responded by continuously blinking, marvelling at the girl who had just woken up.
 

Wow, was she always this hot?
 

“Taeyeon.” Tiffany said a few more times. 
 

Hearing Tiffany call her name finally registered into her brain.
 

Taeyeon abruptly sat up. She groaned, every part of her body ached and she laid back down all in one motion. There were bandages wrapped around her torso and head. 
 

“Are you feeling better?” Tiffany was surprised by the sudden movement of Taeyeon. 
 

Taeyeon’s hand was warm for some reason, she glanced at Tiffany who was still holding her hand. 
 

“Oh, sorry...” Tiffany embarrassingly retracted her hand unwillingly. She didn’t want to let go. It felt empty.
 

“…Where are we now?” 
 

“Back at the fortress. Goddess Martel warped us back here after- “
 

“Where’s everyone! Is everyone okay? Yu- ” Taeyeon blurted out as she got up again, but she hunched over once the major soreness set in.
 

“Taeyeon, relax. ” Tiffany helped Taeyeon ease back against the wall. “You’ll wake up Jessica. She still needs to rest.”
 

A small distance away beside Taeyeon’s bed, Jessica was peacefully resting with small band aids on various spots.
 

Taeyeon laid eyes on the girl sleeping soundlessly. “Jessica… She still hasn’t woken up yet, has she?”
 

The relay of the whole incident played back in her head. Taeyeon bit her lip and sighed, looking up to the ceiling in deep thought, she shut her eyelids. 
 

“She hasn’t. But rest assure, everyone’s safe. The rest of the girls were in better shape than you.”
 

Tiffany brought her gaze down. “But… Yuri… They got Yuri..”
 

Taeyeon set  her hands to her side and clenched the bed sheets. “… It’s all my fault.”  
 

Taeyeon was beating herself mentally. With every thought, she gripped harder, her knuckles turned white. “If only … If only I was stronger… This wouldn’t have happened. I would’ve been able to protect you all.”
 

Tiffany placed her hand on top of Taeyeon’s  tensed fist. “Don’t be so hard on yourself. We were all there, so we’re to be blamed too, not just you. “
 

Just from her gentle touch, Taeyeon’s tight grip on the bed sheets relaxed.  


“Now, sleep. You need to heal. Look at Jessi, she’s resting just fine.” Tiffany carefully led Taeyeon to lay back down.
 

Tiffany and Taeyeon glanced at the girl laying on her bed with her arms by her sides. 


.......


“Give that back!”

“No, we’re going to play with it.”

“You can’t! It’s not yours!”

“What are you gonna do? Cry to your momma?” One of the three older girls dangled a toy plush above little Jessica. 

Two of the three girls, were holding back little Jessica from reaching her toy. They pushed and shoved her as they giggled evilly.

 

“Do it.” One said. 

“My my, I wonder if this is stretchable.” The older girl with the plush in her hands held each arm with both her hands. Having the plush hanging above her, the older girl relentlessly pulled the arms, slightly ripping the stitching. 

Jessica had tears flowing down her baby cheeks, she felt helpless. Powerless. 

All of a sudden, the older girl holding the plush was tackled to the ground by another little girl. The two were rolling and squirming on each other, loud scuffled noises came out of the two. The tussling slowed, until, sounds of sobbing took over. 

“Yuri?” Jessica whimpered out.

Yuri, who tackled the bully, had just punched her square in the face. Her nose had started bleeding and she began to cry. 

“There’s more where that came from.” Yuri seethed at the cowardly girl.

With the two remaining older girls witnessing their leader holding her bleeding nose, they felt scared and intimidated at Yuri.  

 

Yuri turned and faced the other two older girls, she angrily approached the two.
 

“Let go of her!” Yuri taunted them with a quick step towards them.  

The two older girls dropped their hold on Jessica and scurried to their leader.

“If you ever lay a finger on her again, I’ll kill you!”  Yuri threatened them, scaring the bullies off. 

Once the bullies had left, Yuri went over to grab the plush the girls took from Jessica and  saw the plush had ripped a bit. Yuri came back to Jessica with her plush in hand.

 

“They broke it...” She frowned  and gave it back to Jessica. 

Jessica thankfully took back the plush and pressed her tiny body into Yuri. She wept quietly in Yuri’s embrace while Yuri patted her head lightly.

 

“I will get you a new one tomorrow. Let’s go home, now.”  Yuri smiled and broke the hug, then gave out her hand for Jessica.

Jessica nodded and reached out for Yuri’s hand, but she couldn’t grasp it. Yuri’s figure was receding away.  She began to run after Yuri’s fading body.

 

"Yuri! Yuri wait! Where are you going!” Tears starting streak down her cheeks watching Yuri leaving her.
 

“Don’t leave me!” Jessica broke down as Yuri had completely vanished in front of her.  


“Jessica..” 

 

“Don’t go…” 
 

“Jessi! Wake up!”
 

Tiffany and Taeyeon who went over to Jessica’s bedside upon hearing her soft whines switch to distressed weeping. Tiffany continuously called out to Jessica, tapping her arm lightly.  Taeyeon  hovered closely next to Tiffany, eyes darting about in concern.
 

“Yuri!” Jessica sprung up with distraught eyes.
 

“Jessica!” 
 

Jessica frantically looked around her, trying to get a sense of where she was. She sat there for a minute, until the echoing of her name had assured her it was only a dream.  She saw Tiffany with Taeyeon by her side looking frightened. 
 

“Jessica! Oh my god what kind of nightmare were you in?!” Tiffany sat beside Jessica and rubbed her back.
 

“Are you okay?! You started to cry.” 
 

Jessica sat there with the same expression; the feeling she had woken up with. Taeyeon noticed the restlessness occurring from Jessica.
 

“Jessica, what happened? You called out Yuri’s name. Was Yuri the reason of your nightmare?”
 

“...Where’s she?...Where’s Yuri!” Jessica desperately searched around the room, ignoring Taeyeon’s question. She tried to get out of the bed, but was stopped by the two girls keeping her down. 
 

“Hey hey, don’t move too much, you’re still hurt.” Taeyeon and Tiffany carefully calmed Jessica down.  Tiffany in her teeth and glanced at Taeyeon, she didn’t know whether or not she should be the one to remind her. 


“Yuri... They got Yuri…” Taeyeon shut her eyes reliving the scene with much regret.
 

“That demon, Gaius. He wouldn’t let us go until Yuri agreed to go with him.”
 

“I remember hearing Yuri agree, in exchange on letting us go.” Taeyeon finished and looked down, away from Jessica. “She agreed to give herself to him as long as we were set free.”
 

“It can’t be…Yuri… That idiot.” Jessica’s eyes began to brim with tears and gazed at the open doors of the balcony. The sunshine rays twinkled across the room, as the breeze fluttered the sheer white curtains.
 

Jessica recalled to their childhood memories. “She’s gone… She’s gone again. Just like that.”
 

“What do you mean again?” Tiffany continued to try  and comfort the girl. 
 

Jessica bit her lip and the gripped the edge of her blanket “… She is my childhood best friend. But, she doesn’t know how I look like now.“ 

Taeyeon leaned in closer, her shoulders touching Tiffany’s. “You two knew each other before this whole thing?”

 

“I’ve known her since we were little… But, I was forced to move and couldn’t tell her. And by the time I landed in America, I tried to call her, but the lines were always dead. I had no way of reaching her anymore…”
 

“And... And I’ve finally found her… I can’t lose her again… I can’t… ” Jessica didn’t bother to wipe away her tears as they dropped to her lap.
 

“Don’t worry Jessica, I’ll get her back, we’ll get her back. We’ll do whatever it takes to save Yuri.” Taeyeon sat in front of Jessica on the bed, and reached over to wipe the stray tear. Jessica remained indifferent, even from Taeyeon’s fingers brushing against her cheeks, she was still staring at the radiant sunshine.


Tiffany also joined the two, as she sat beside Jessica and side hugged her. “ Whatever it is between you two, just know that we’ll be here.”
 

Jessica replied with a sigh and hung her head low. Tiffany brought her arms around Jessica’s head and hugged. The long silence filled the room.
 

MMMMM… Two. Hot. Girls with messy hair hugging. Skin touching. Too. Hot. Did Tiffany always look that Y? But, Jessica , woo she’s so heavenly- Ah! Dude, Taeyeon, it’s not the right time for this! But, hoohohoho, that hug looks so inviting, why I oughta shove myself in there and- 
 

“Sica unnie!” Yoona came bursting in, the door slammed against the wall, swaying from the single hinge. “Are you okay? You didn’t wake up for a long time and we thought you were really hurt!”
 

Jessica and Tiffany broke their hug, and she smiled lovingly at her. “I’m okay, Yoona.” 
 

“You guys are awake! Finally! Do you know how worried we were!?” Sooyoung entered the room using her loud voice, with Sunny, Hyoyeon, and Seohyun following her closely behind. “We couldn’t even eat! All that food out there, and not one bite!” Sooyoung  shrunk her shoulders from all the worrying. 
 

Sunny walked near the girls seated on the one bed. “She’s exaggerating. She did eat, look at her face. You can still see bits around .”
 

Sunny laid her hand on Taeyeon’s shoulder and raised one eyebrow. She saw a knowing mischievous look,  plastered on Taeyeon’s face.
 

Taeyeon replied with a naughty grin of ‘ I don’t know what you’re talking about.’ Tiffany tried to read the wordless communication between the two, but let out a defeated sigh knowing she couldn’t.
 

Yet. 
 

Sooyoung wiped sloppily. “Ok! In the beginning I couldn’t eat, but then I got really hungry."
 

“Sooyoung unnie even ate my portion,” Yoona rubbed her tummy and frowned at the trash can.
 

“Yoona unnie, you ate my food when Sooyoung unnie stole yours.” Seohyun spoke like she solved a mystery.
 

Yoona grinned playfully and supported her chin with her hand. “Did I ? I don’t remember. Hehehe.”


.....


In the Garden, Goddess Martel sat alone on her throne with her staff in one hand. She was silent, deep in thought. The feel of nature set her mind in a mediation state. 

 

“… I’d grown to love the Chosen’s. As I watched over them, I fell under the illusion that they were my own children. And to go on supporting ‘my children’ I averted my gaze temporarily from the Demon Lords movements. “
 

Goddess Martel closed her eyes and paused for a moment. She fluttered her eyelids open and the iris of her eyes had completely changed colour. 
 

“AHHHH”
“SON OF A – “

 

The 8 girls were warped from their room and plopped down in front of Martel. She heard the room emitting noises, echoing throughout the palace, she figured they were better now. They looked a lot happier, seeing their friends well again. 
 

“Taeyeon, Jessica, how are you feeling?” 
 

“Still not used to you randomly teleporting us,” Taeyeon shrugged. 
 

“I meant you’re injuries.” 
 

“Oh. I’m not as sore anymore.” Taeyeon spun around, looking at her bandages wrapped around her. 
 

“This Garden is to gradually heal all physical wounds, that’s the reason why everything is less painful. And you Jessica?” 
 

“Better… Thank you for saving us.”  
 

“I didn’t save you girls.” Martel’s expression turned grim. “And I’m sure you all know who did.”
 

The 8 girls looked away with guilt and sadness. 


“…But, we’re going to save her, right?” Taeyeon spoke earnestly.
 

“Definitely.” Martel replied without hesitation.
 

“Why Yuri, though, why did they want her and not us?” Taeyeon pressed on, confused about the whole situation.
 

Jessica’s attention sharpened upon hearing Yuri’s name.
 

“That is because…” Martel paused and let out a sigh.
 

“Their wish is to eliminate this world and recreate it as a world of chaos. And the power they need to accomplish that is… The Dark Core. ” 
 

“How do they know it’s her?”
 

“They’ve must’ve detected a somewhat disturbing presence. And this is extremely unusual, a Chosen retaining more than one Core has never happened. Yuri possesses the Spirit of Fire and Spirit of Darkness. If she finds a way to master it, she will…“
 

Yoona gasped. “…Wait, you’re saying they’re going to use her…?”
 

…Use Yuri? What are they going to do to her… Jessica stood there, like a statue. She didn’t want to imagine any of it, but she couldn’t help it. 
 

Martel nodded her head grimly. “Yes, they are. In what ways, I am not sure of.”


“…By using Yuri, they’re attempting to wield tremendous power in order to create a new world.” Sunny concluded with understanding. 
 

“A hole in the world, created from vast quantities of Dark Mana. An incarnation of evil will appear.” Seohyun reiterated from memory as everyone stared at her from shock at what she had spoken. “Goddess Martel-nim, why have you not informed us about their desire to summon something evil?”
 

“That is correct, Seohyun. It’s because it would be impossible. They are incapable of summoning evil without… The Spirit of Darkness. To be very honest, the Dark Core is not supposed to exist within a Chosen. Now, that they’ve captured Yuri, the Demon Lords are now able to perform such rituals.”
 

Jessica squeezed out, her voice quivering, “ …What will happen to her? Is she going to…” She couldn’t finish what she feared. 
 

“I do not know. But, it shall not happen..” Goddess beat the ground once with the end of her staff. Goddess Martel watched the girls digest the information. The sight of Taeyeon had reminded her of another thing.
 

“Taeyeon. Has something piqued your interest perhaps?” Martel stood from her throne and stepped down closer to the her. 
 

“You know, don’t you?” Taeyeon looked back at her and emitted her powers on her palms. “ That I, also, possess more than one Core.”
 

“I know. Again, this is remarkable. ” Martel calmly spoke as she stood in front of Taeyeon and the girls. “ Taeyeon… You not only possess more than one Core.. You possess four.” 
 

“FOUR?!” Everyone choked. Sooyoung was coughing and hacking while Hyoyeon was slapping her back, trying to loosen up the cough. 
 

“My dear Taeyeon, you are… Lord of the Four Great Spirits.” 


“L-Lord of F-four… Great S-Spirits?!” Taeyeon gaped in awe from her statement.
 

“Indeed you are. Wind, Water, Fire, and Earth. You are able to combine all those four Spirits. “ Goddess Martel  bent her knees slightly, lowering herself eye level to Taeyeon. “You are the guide. You must lead.” 
 

“M-Me??” Taeyeon nervously pointed at herself. 
 

Martel kindly nodded and smiled. She placed her hand on top of Taeyeon’s head. “ There is no one else to do it, but you.”
 

“W-Wow… “  Taeyeon let out a disbelieving exhale. I don’t think I’m the right role for it, though…
 

Martel lightly patted Taeyeon’s head and took her hand off, she switched views. “Jessica, have you become aware of your second Core?”
 

“Wh-What? … I have two?” Jessica expelled out in complete surprise. 
 

Martel glided her way to Jessica and studied her fondly. “Yes, Jessica. You have two powers fused into one. Not only are you the Spirit of Ice, but also….”
 

Martel pointed her finger at Jessica’s centre, right below her collarbone. “ … Spirit of Light.” 
 

“…Light.” Jessica let the new info soak in as she stood in astonishment. Spirit of Light…
 

Martel stood up and looked at all of the girls. “You all are individually unique. Be it personality or powers. You all share the same feelings. Which is, you treasure one another. And with that passion and affection, you girls will prevail and flourish.” 


---------



Helloooooo readers! Hopefully this chapter clarified the Spirits for for Jessica, Taeyeon, and Yuri.
I'm thankful for you all for taking a chance at this or stopping by :D 
See you soon!