Chapter 5

A Riddle Love

 

I wake up due to a loud sound from downstairs. I make myself in a sit position and grab my phone beside a pillow. Looking at the screen, suddenly the call from yesterday night hit me, making me shiver of dread. My mind start to make up such a positive thought about the caller. Maybe it just a wrong call.

Satisfied with my positive thought, I get off from my bed and walk to the bathroom. 

After done with my daily routine, I make my way to downstairs and walk straight to the kitchen. The breakfast already on the table, making my lips spread into a wide smile. I sit comfortably, start to dig in my breakfast. While I keep eating, suddenly a piece of memo caught my attention. I put the spoon beside on the table slowly and pick up the memo. 

 

''Don't wait for me. I'll be late today.'' I read out loud and put the memo on the table back. I let out a sigh and continue to dig in my breakfast. I better finish it quickly or not I will be late to the school.

 

After finish with the breakfast, I put the bowl in the sink and wash it as fast as I can. I quickly make my way to the front door and put on my sneaker.

 

''Today I can't hang out with Jaerim. My life is in danger right now. I need to be home after school finish in order to keep myself safe and sound.'' I said while walk toward the school direction.

 

I keep walking lifeless when suddenly a hand grip my shoulder. I quickly turn around and my heart beat quickened when I saw a smiling Zelo beside me. 

 

''Do I make you surprised?'' He chuckles while playing with his skateboard wheel in his hand.

''Uh..No.'' I said, eyeing him up and down.

''Why are you looking at me like that?'' He said and angled his skateboard to the ground and pushed off, skating towards the school. I didn't said anything instead I try my best to walk even faster since he already a few meters in front of me.

 

About a 10 minutes walking or better I call running, finally we arrive at school. Zelo smiles at me and grabs his skateboard cooly before walk beside me. I make my way to the locker area and find Jaerim there. Her gaze totally on me and I can tell that there's something wrong with those gaze.

 

''I'm going to my class first.'' He said and waves at me cutely. I smile and wave back at him but then a hand stop me by grabbing my wrist. I turn to my side and put my hand down. Jaerim?

''Let's go to the class now.'' She said while clench her fist hardly. I glance at her fist but she quickly hide it behind her back.

''Ok.'' With only that word that I manage to said, we stroll to our class quietly. 

 

I put my bag on the chair and take out the book in my bag, placing it on the table. I somehow feel guilty because I come to the school with Zelo since Jaerim already told her feelings toward Zelo to me. I look at Jaerim and she keeps avoids making an eye contact with me. Is she angry?

 

''Yah, why are you so quiet today?'' I poke her shoulder playfully. She turns to me and give me a thin smile before open to reply to me.

''We're promised, aren't we?'' She said in a serious tone. I nod slowly. She suddenly smile and nods her head.

''I put my trust on you.'' She add again.

 

What's wrong with her? I'm not trying to steal away her Zelo.

 

''Yah, you know someone called me yesterday night.'' I said as I remember the caller incident. She suddenly become more attractive with my story and turns to me.

''Why? What did that person said? Is that person make you feel insecure or threatened you?'' She asks, there's a hope in her tone.

''Yes.'' I simply said. Wait, how can she knows? And why is she become interested with my story so sudden? She quickly look down and I can see her lips crept upwards. 

 

Did I just see that she's smiling over my story? Her face suddenly become serious again and she glance at me. 

 

''Don't worry, you have me.'' She said but I swear that I just see her smirks in a blink seconds before she said that concerned words. I nod my head and quickly turn away from her. Make myself busy with a books and a task papers so I can avoid myself from her.

 

-

 

A bell start to ring as the students make their way out from the class, heading to the cafeteria. It's a lunch time and I still sit on my seat, didn't care to headed to the cafeteria. Jaerim already leaves because she said that she wants to grabs a lunch with Zelo today.

I take out my headphone from my bag and plunged it into my phone. Sweeping the screen, I put on a lullaby song while let my head rest on the table and close my eyes.

 

I rub my eyes as the noise suddenly filling the classroom. I accidentally doze while listen to the lullaby song.

Looking to my side, I found no one beside me. It seems like Jaerim still at the cafeteria. I look at the clock and it show that I only have 10 minutes to doze off before the class start. Smiling, I put my head on the table and about to close my eyes but something caught my attention. 

The letter?

I scan the letter beside my bag and take it carefully. 

 

''What should I do with this letter? Should I read it?'' I sigh and put it on the table. Biting my lips slowly, I open the letter and blink a few times.

 

What is worth a billion dollars but comes to you for free?

 

Huh? What is this? I keep reading the letters until all of the students in my class already come back from the cafeteria. 

I spot Jaerim outside the class and look like she's heading this way. I quickly fold the letter and toss it in my bag before Jaerim reach me.