Chapter 11

A Riddle Love

 

''It's me.'' I listen to Zelo's words as my mouth agape with incredulity. After hearing his words, I lost in my thought.

''No way!'' Suddenly Jaerim's loud voice wakes me up and her eyes becomes scarlet as she eyes me. Zelo didn't gives any responds to Jaerim as he keeps his stare only on me. What should I do? My grip on the chair become tight as my gaze change from Jaerim to my lap. I can't bear to look into her eyes any longer.

 

Zelo let out a sigh and drop his hands from my shoulder. His lips slowly curled upwards as he lifts my chin to look at his face. I slowly raise my head up and unfortunately, my eyes land on Jaerim. She grit her teeth and a painful expression can be seen on her face. 

 

''It's me, Hyeri ah. I'm-

 

Jaerim suddenly pull me away from Zelo as she doesn't want to hear any confession come out from Zelo's mouth. Her grips on mine become solid after we leave the coffee shop. I turn around, only to see Zelo still in the coffee shop, dumbfounded with Jaerim's sudden action.

 

Jaerim suddenly stop from taking another step, making me bump on her back. I look around us and notice that we're already reach the hills behind our school. She turns to me and her eyes now full of tears. I gulp down my saliva slowly after watching Jaerim's condition. I'm at lost of action because I don't know what should I do to make Jaerim feels better right now. She start to broke down and sob like a child. 

 

''Jaerim ah..'' I bent down to her and pat her back slowly. 

 

She quickly push my hand away from her back and glare at me. Her eyes shows that she really hate me because the confession that Zelo made earlier. I feel a bit guilty as I remember the promised that once I made with Jaerim about Zelo.

 

''Don't call my name with your dirty mouth.'' She said between her sobbing. 

''I'm sorry Jaerim ah. I don't know Zelo is the one who send those letters to me.'' I said, trying not to stutter.

''Hyeri ah, you promised not to fall in love with a guy named Zelo right?'' Suddenly Jaerim looks at me and her eyes somehow looks pleading.

''Please Hyeri ah, you know I love Zelo right?'' She gets up from the ground and hold both of my hand. I let my eyes wander around the view as I can't look Jaerim's pleading eyes. 

 

Yes, I already promise not to fall in love with a guy named Zelo. I can't break the promise right?

 

My head hang low, I'm lost at words. My lips froze as well as my brain. I can easily tell her that I will not fall in love with Zelo but that words somehow so arduous to speak it out loud. Am I already fall in love with Zelo too?

 

''Don't tell me you're falling in love with him too.'' Her voice suddenly become serious and her eyes now become vicious. I didn't said anything but my gaze now full on her. 

''Right?'' She asks again. Once again, my lips froze again. I can't said 'no' because I don't want to let my heart shatter into pieces and at the same time, I can't said 'yes' because I don't want to hurt Jaerim's heart.

''I consider it as yes because you don't give me the answer even though I hate to let the words escape from my mouth.'' She said while wipe her tears away from her cheeks.

''I'm sorry.'' Finally the words that froze in my lips finally broke.

 

She shook her head and her face now become expressionless.

 

''If you want me to forgive you, please die.'' She said, pointing at the cliff.

 

My eyes become wide after hearing her words. I step backwards only to bump with a huge tree. Somehow, Jaerim's action freak me out.

 

''Can you change your sorry into die instead?'' She holds both of my hand in a pleading ways.

 

 

Zelo's P.O.V

''It's me, Hyeri ah. I'm-

 

I about to tell Hyeri the truth but suddenly Jaerim pulls Hyeri away and leave me alone in the coffee shop, dumbfounded. I realize Jaerim's face earlier, her face become pale and her eyes start to fill in with tears after I mentioned about the letters.

 

''Am I said something wrong?'' I said, my gaze follow their direction. 

 

I quickly paid the coffee before walk out from the coffee shop to chased after them. They quickened their pace when they walk along the street until they reach up a hill which seemed to go up forever and found themselves on the edge of a cliff.

Hills?

What will they doing there? There's nothing there.

 

I become curious with their action so I decide to follow them. They stop after they already reach the top of the hills. I quickly hide behind the tree and try my best to listen in on their conversation. Suddenly, I can see Jaerim's crying face and Hyeri's blank face.

What's wrong with them? I become annoyed because I can't hear their conversation since their voice too slow and the strong wind make my ear become deaf.

 

This can't be, I really need to know about their confabulation so I crawl slowly in the bushes and set my target to the tree near them. As I reach at the old-huge tree, I look at them and fortunately, I can hear their voice. 

Their voice not too clear but I only hear they mention about me, promise and love. Why they mention about me?

 

I shrug off the weird feelings that lingered in my head and just wait the next words they will said. About a minutes, it's only cover with a silent until I heard their voice again. I pop my ear out from the bushes and I swear I hear a 'die' words. 

I become panic and quickly peek from the bushes. Jaerim walks toward Hyeri and push her to the dangerous cliff's edge. 

 

''Stop.'' I said out loud and run toward Hyeri's direction. Fortunately, I arrived in a time to grab her hand or else she will fall from the cliff. Jaerim's eyes become widen as she saw my presence. She quickly run away, leaving me and Hyeri at the hills. I wonder why she needs to push her bestfriend from this dangerous cliff.

''Are you okay?'' I said, dragging her to the huge tree. Hyeri didn't said anything but looking from her face, I believe she still in a shock after Jaerim try to push her earlier.

''Please stay away from me'' Hyeri's sudden words make my world stop for a while. I look at her but she keeps her eyes on the ground, avoiding my eyes.

''Why? Is that a sin for falling in love with you?'' I said, feel a bit angry with her sudden words. 

''No.'' She simply said and about to walk away from me but I quickly grab her, making her stumble into my embrace.

''Is it because a promise?'' I said, try to guess what have I heard earlier from their conversation.

 

She just nod her head and struggle to let herself out from my embrace. I hug her tightly and put my chin on her head.

 

''Is the promise is important?'' I said again. Same as early, she didn't said anything instead she just nods her head in my embrace.

''What's that? Can I know?'' I broke the hug and hold her shoulder to make an eye contact with her.

''I already promised to Jaerim, not to fall in love with a guy named Zelo and it's you.'' She finally said after a long silent. A promise not to fall in love with me?

''But, you're not fall in love with a guy named Zelo right?'' I brush off her bangs and smile.

''Huh?'' She looks at me with a confused face.

''Because I believe you're falling in love with a guy named Junhong.''