Chapter 10

A Riddle Love

 

 

I sigh as the distance between me and Jackson getting closer. I start to count a number since my right foot already step outside the cafe, leaving Zelo in the coffee shop. I remember once, when I was a kid, I used to read a book about hoping. If we're need to been separate with the one that we loved, we just need to count until 10 and the person that we loved will come back to us and asks us to stop getting far away from him/her. 

It's fool right? But I still believe in it.

So, I put my trust in this statement and unknowingly I really hope that Zelo will come to me and asks me to stop for take another step to Jackson. 

 

''..9..10..Please..make my wish come true.'' I turn around slowly and to my disappointed, there's no sign of Zelo. 

 

I let out a sigh of dismay and close my eyes for a while. Everything's just falling apart. Let just accept the truth concerning the letter. I nod hopelessly and persuade myself that Jackson is the one who send the letters for me since the hint is too obvious telling about the color of the shirt and the important thing is Zelo wasn't the one who sent those letters.

 

''Yah Jackson, look. There's a girl comes to you.'' One of Jackson's friends suddenly voice out and all the eyes now on me. 

 

I startle as the seven of them now have their attention on me. What should I do? What should I say? 

 

''Annyeong.'' Only a simple word manage to flee from my mouth as I become more panic now. I waved awkwardly with my right hand and try my best not too fluster in front of them. They show their sincere smile but none of them talk to me until someone breaks the silent. 

''Annyeong, I'm Jackson.'' He comes stand in front of me and take out his hand from his pocket to me.

 

My gaze fix on his hand and back to his face. He smile, ensuring me to accept his handshake. All of his friends's attention now on me, smiling. 

 

''Hyeri.'' I said, introducing myself and accept his handshake. Is he the one that sent me those letters? Why he doesn't recognize me?

''I love your name.'' His words make my eyes become bigger and my heart start to race rapidly. 

''Thank you.'' I blush hardly and received a playful laugh from them. After hearing Jackson's word, suddenly I feel Jackson is the one behind these letters.

 

As we keep laughing, suddenly I feel someone's grip on my wrist making all of us become silent. I turn to my side and found the tired Zelo. He grabs my hand and panting hardly. Did he runs all the way to here because I can see his forehead covered by sweat. 

 

''Listen, I need to talk to you.'' He whispers into my ear slowly but then he clear his throat loudly to gain Jackson and his friends's attention. Seven of them set their eyes on us and their face plastered with a confuse look.

''Uh..Sorry for interrupt you guys. We'll be back.'' Zelo said and drags me into the coffee shop again, leaving the seven of them dumbfounded in their spot.

 

I stare at Zelo's back as he keeps dragging me back into the coffee shop. I wonder what he would ask me when we reach at the coffee shop. I don't have any idea why Zelo's behave like this.

 

''Sit.'' He said to me as he throw himself on the chair in front of me. 

''Hyeri ah, I thought we're already make a promise right?'' A really familiar voice suddenly ringing in my ear. Small, prickly goosebumps broke out across my arm and stomach, sending a small, cold shiver through me. This voice really make me feel insecure when she mentions about 'promise.' 

 

I gulp down a saliva that stuck in my throat and close my eyes to inhale the air. After feel a bit placid, I open my eyes back and turn to my side. There's a girl named Jaerim glare at me like I've done something wrong. I blink for a few seconds and make a quick decission to just sit beside Zelo. I avoid her glare by looking at my lap, I swear if I didn't avoid her glare, I'll be dead by now. It's feel like there's a wall covering me. A wall of anger.

 

''A promise? What's promise?'' Zelo said, breaking the long silent.

''Promise tha-

''It's just a girl promise.'' Jaerim cuts me off and smile at Zelo. That smile. There's something wrong with that smile.

''Okay then, so Hyeri ah, I want to ask you something.'' Zelo turns to me but I just stare at my lap, didn't dare to raised my head up. 

''Are you sure that person is Jackson?'' His sudden question make me automtaically lift my head up and I quickly look at him.

''Yes, I told you before. Maybe Jackson is the owner of that letters.'' I reply. Suddenly an unsure feeling washed over me but I just nod my head.

''Maybe? You still don't know whether that person is Jackson or not?'' Zelo said.

''What are you guys talking about? Can I join? Jackson? Who is Jackson?'' I about to reply to Zelo but stop when Jaerim suddenly asks so many questions.

 

The atmosphere become silent once agian as Jaerim's eyes never left Zelo even a second, hoping for Zelo to answer all her questions.

 

''I'm going to tell you about that later.'' Zelo serious tone suddenly can be heard. I take a peek at Zelo and find his face become red due to anger..maybe, because I can feel his face now changes to a fierce one.

''But Zelo-

''I wonder what goes through your head when you read the hint in the letter.'' Zelo said, didn't even let Jaerim finish her words. I was speechless after hearing Zelo's words and my lips froze, don't know what to say anymore. Why did he becomes serious all of sudden?

''Did my hint is really hard for you?'' He looks at me with those scary eyes as he put both of his hands on my shoulder. His eyes somehow looks misery when he faces me to him.

''Huh?'' I fluster by his words. Wait, did he just said 'my hint'?

''Your hint?'' Both me and Jaerim said out loud, still don't get it what Zelo's mean by 'my hint'.

''It's me.'' Zelo said.