Welcoming

Unexpected

 

Making my way slowly to the front desk, knots started to form in my stomach. Why was I so scared? There were hundreds of things going through my mind the moment I stepped into the university. My heart beating quickly to every new though that formed.

Will I have a roommate? If I did who would it be? Would they be nice? Mean? What if I suddenly forgot all my Korean? Would they notice my slight scent? Would my teachers be nice? Was I under or over dressed?  Oh and most importantly, what am I going to eat for dinner tonight? I was so hungry since I didn’t eat anything on the plane.

Every little detail started to scare me. I kept repeating in my head Calm down sun, calm the heck down.

When I arrived to the front desk I was awaiting my turn In line.

“Next please”

I was soon in front of a girl with a neat pony tail wearing a dark black suit that looked very expensive.

“What may I help you with?”

“New student registration.”

“Ah! Welcome! Do you have all of your forms and ID?”

“Yes, right here.”

I was making sure to act as polite as possible as I told and gave her everything she asked for.

One of the main things that scare me coming here is the change of culture. Something that may seem totally normal and fine in Toronto may seem rude and/or repulsive here. But then again, maybe I was just being paranoid, as always.

“You’re all set! Here is your Seoul University ID Card, with your student number. Most importantly this folder includes which dorm you’ll be staying in as well as your schedule and Seoul University guidance counsellor’s name.”

She kept going on about al the information in the folder she had just given me, I was so excited to just see which dorm I was in, and what my schedule looked like!

“We hope you enjoy it here, and if you have any questions please feel free to ask!”

I bowed and quickly left in search for my dorm. I pulled out the blue coloured sheet that had my dorm floor and number on it. Room #: 15, floor #: 13, dorm building #: 7. I was so confused, where is building 7? How are there so many buildings anyways? I was extremely shy being in a new atmosphere but I had no choice but to ask someone for directions.  If only that damn ajussi hadn’t disappeared in the airport.

I looked around to find someone walking alone, since I thought that would be less awkward then asking someone with their friends. Interrupting people talking with their friends would be rude here right? I saw a boy about my height with his head phones in walking slowly looking at his blue sheet as well. Since it looked like he was also on the way to his dorm I thought that this would be my chance to ask.

“Excuse me…”

The boy looked up and smiled with his eyes.

“Yes…?”

“I’m kind of new here and.. well a little lost. I have no clue how to find where my dorm is.”

“Ah, it’s my 2nd year here, welcome. Show me your blue sheet.” He said while pointing to the blue sheet in my hands. I quickly passed it to him.

“Most if not all of the dorms are in building 7, so I’m heading there too.”

“Ah really? I feel so stupid.”

“Haha, it’s alright. Let’s go then!”

We started walking. It felt kind of awkward since I was practically walking with a total stranger so I decided to also put my head phones in.

Sorry if its rude but are you new.. to the country?”

“ugh its my accent isn’t it.” I said while pouting my lips and looking down.

“Hehe your accent is quite good, but of course someone who’s lived here all their life can tell. Where did you come from?”

“Canada, Toronto. Both of my parents are from Korea. I have visited Korea quite a few times too, but since my best friend isn’t fluent in Korean and since I was born in Toronto, I usually if not always speak English. ”

“Oh you came from Toronto! That’s so cool, my friend just visited his friend there for vacation.”

“Hehe, really, I hope he enjoyed it there.”

“He also goes to this university.”

“Ah … I see.”

We stayed silent until we arrived at building 7. It took about a 10 minute walk to get there. We stepped into the elevator together, him pressing floor # 15, and me pressing floor # 13.

“Ah well this is my stop. Thank you so much….umm”

“Injun”

“Ah Injun, I’m Sun Soo Hee, but I usually just go by sun.”

“Nice meeting you then hope to see you around again soon. If you have any troubles you can just ask me.” We quickly exchanged numbers.

“Thanks a lot for the help. Sorry for the bother” I quickly bowed and left the elevator in search for dorm # 15.

I began to make my way down the long hallway, looking at every printed number on the white painted doors. I finally arrived to room # 15, The place I would be living in for the next while. I was so excited to open the door and see how it looked like. This university is known for their nice dorm rooms. I opened up the university folder the lady had given me earlier to get my form key out.

I put the key in the door lock and slowly opened it in anticipation. As I was walking in I almost tripped on… a suitcase.

“Ah! That was close!” Wait so this means that I do have a roommate.

A tall girl with long blond hair, smiling sparkling eyes and a cute small face appeared in front of me

“Hello, I’m Sun Soo Hee but you can just call me Sun, Your roommate.” I said as I immediately bowed and smiled.

“Ah~ Hello! I’m Oh Hye Rin, but you can just call me Raina it’s my preferred name. Nice to meet you, are you new here?”

“Yes I am, also kind of new to the country too. I just arrived from Toronto.”

“Ahh I could tell.” She said while pointing to the tags on my suitcases with Canadian flag prints on them.

“Its so cool that you’ve come all the way from Toronto to study here, I hope you like it here! If you ever need any help you can always ask me! Lets become good friends~”

I was so relieved that I had a sane respectful and nice roommate. Suddenly all my worry’s begun to fade away. I felt like it was time to stop worrying and start being happy and anticipating my new life here. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you enjoyed this chapter, even though it was a little boring right? Trying to make it as itneresting as possible but i'm still quite new to this. It'll get more interesting later! Ah! and I decided to use After School's Raina in this story ^^ AS is also my favorite girl group~ All the posters made (chapter 1, chapter 5) are made by me, so sorry if they're bad hehe. Made this chapter  little longer as well ♥