Our First Date?

Unexpected

 

“Wake up! Or you’ll be late for your date!” Raina yelled in my ear.

“What time is it, just five more minutes!” I said shooing her away. I clung on to my bed sheets and tried to get back to sleep. Ofcourse Raina being the person she is, wouldn’t give up that easily.

“You don’t have 5 minutes, I need to make you look pretty!” Raina shouted.

“Look pretty? No thanks, I think I’ll wear my no make-up face today.”

“Haha, what a funny girl you are. Do you want to scare the boy with your huge eye bags? Now get up you lazy!”

“Fine fine, but why are you up this early anyways? Do you even have a class today?” I asked.

“Yes, I have a lab today. Me and Injun are partners for it hehe.” Raina said while blushing.

“You must be really happy. Why don’t you worry about making yourself look pretty then…”

“Because, I am always pretty, you always look like a mess so last night I picked out what you’re going to wear.” Raina said bringing me my clothes.

“Firstly, this is not a date. Secondly, I don’t even know where he is taking me.” I said while heading to the bathroom to wash my face. “omo, I do look scary. Why do I look so tired?”

“See I told you. And I know where you’re going so don’t worry.” Raina said.

“Wait, you know? Where!?” I asked.

“I’m not going to tell you because Injun told me not to.” Raina said while laughing.

“Injun, Injun, Injun, why don’t you just confess to him already. Stop worrying about my love life and worry about your own.” I said.

“Hurry up and get dressed or you’ll be late.” Raina said handing me my clothes.

Surprisingly Raina didn’t pick out something too out there. Just a simple white v-neck t-shirt with skinny jeans and a cardigan.

“This is what you picked out?” I said surprised.

“Yes, I tried to pick out something Suhoon would like.”

“Oh dear, why don’t you go instead of me? Please Raina? I’m kind of nervous and scared.” I said.

“Haha don’t worry. I think you’ll like where you’re going.” Raina said with a warm smile.

I finished getting ready and then rushed to the main building since it was already 10:10 AM.

 

 

I saw Suhoon from a distance and rushed over to him.

“Hello.” I said nervously. How long was he waiting for? Not too long right?

“You’re late.” He said, grabbing my hand. “We’re going to miss the bus.”

The moment he grabbed my hand my heart sunk. Why? I don’t know. I didn’t bother to say anything, surprised by my actions; I let him pull me to the bus stop. I should tell him to let go right? For some reason, I didn’t want to though…

We got onto the bus and sat in silence for a bit.

“Where are we going?” I finally asked.

“Itaewon”

“Itaewon! I’ve heard of that place, I think I went there once when I was a kid. Even though I am satisfied with the place we are doing this project on, shouldn’t we have decided this together?” I said trying not to sound rude.

“I thought you’d like this place since its where a lot of foreigners go, so I chose it. I wanted to… surprise you.” He finally said.

Surprise me? Why would he want to do that? I didn’t know what to say, so I just kept silent.

“You can’t get lost, okay?” Suhoon said. “You don’t know the streets well right, So… just stay by my side, and in my sight at all times. Raina said if I lose you she’s going to kill me, and that girl is scary when she’s mad.”

“Haha, don’t worry, you have my number right. I won’t get lost.” I said giving him a warm smile.

“If you walk around looking clueless strange people may come up to you, so just stay by my side at all times, okay?”

“Okay.” I said looking down.

We finally arrived. I followed him out of the bus to see a place filled with people, many of them foreigners. I was amazed by the look of it. It looked like a place filled with 100 things to do.

“You’ll need this.” Suhoon said handing me a map. “Just in case, but make sure people don’t see you looking at it. They’ll know you’re someone unfamiliar tot these streets and some people may try to fool or trick you then.”

Why was he treating me like this? He seemed so worried about me getting lost.

“If you’re so worried you might as well hold my hand the whole way.” I said quickly putting my hands over my mouth, realizing what I just said.

He stared at me for a few seconds and gave me a strange look.

“Good idea.” He said grabbing my hand. “Let’s get going then”

I just stared at me in shock.  Why was he treating me… like his girlfriend?

“Are you hungry?” He asked while we were walking. I couldn’t even think with his tight grasp around my hand. The only thing I could hear was my heart beating quickly. It beat so loudely in my ears that I was afraid he would hear it.

“Sun..? Are you hungry?” He asked again.

“Huh.. Yeah a little, I skipped breakfast.” I finally said.

“Let’s go eat then. Everything we do is for the project so make sure you observe everything well.” Suhoon said.

Suhoon directed me to an Italian restaurant named “La Travola”. The smell of pasta as we walked in was a scent I could never forget, it made me two times hungrier than I already was. 

“Table for two?” The waiter asked.

“Yes please.” Suhoon said. Just then we both realized we were still holding hands and I quickly let go of his grasp.

We got seated at a table right beside the window. I loved looking outside and seeing the busy streets of Itaewon, it really amused me. There was so many things going on at once and everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves. I decided to relax and enjoy being here. Looking at the people outside, excitement stirred in my stomach making me anticipate spending the day here with Suhoon.

We were given our menus and I immediately flipped to the Pasta section since I hadn’t had some in the longest time.

“What are you going to order?” I asked Suhoon.

“I think the Tomato Basil Pasta.” He said. “You?”

“Vongole pasta, I’ve always wanted to try it.”

The waiter came to take our orders and then we just sat there in silence for a while. I kept telling myself to say something, but I couldn’t think of anything.

Suddenly got a text and went to check it.

I heard you’re with Suhoon. You’re still alive right? keke –Hyunchul

I laughed at Hyunchul’s message.

“What are you laughing about?” Suhoon asked.

“Oh nothing, Hyunchul just sent me a text.” I said.

“Seems like you are always together nowadays.” Suhoon mumbled.

“Huh? It’s not like that, we’re just friends.” I said looking up at Suhoon.

“Okay.” Suhoon said with a strange expression. Was he bothered by me being with Hyunchul. Was he jealous…? His mood seemed a bit glum and I felt bad for being so quiet so I decided to try to creat a more brighter mood by stealing some of his pasta.

“Wow its good.” I said.

“You should ask first right?” he said while laughing then stealing some of mine. “Yours is good too, do you eat Pasta a lot?”

“I use to. My best friend back in Toronto is Italian so at least once a week I would go to her house for dinner and eat Pasta. I miss doing that. It’s kind of hard letting go of these routines now…”

“I would imagine it would be hard to leave people behind and come to Korea, a pace so far away from home.”

Yeah…Where are we going to go after this?” I asked, quickly changing the topic before Suhoon sees emotional Sun.

“Wherever you want, there’s a list of places on the map.” Suhoon said.

“This may sound random, but can we get ice cream after we’re done here? I’m craving it for some reason.” I asked Suhoon.

“There’s a really good Ice Cream store nearby, so we can go there then.” Suhoon said.

We finished up and split the bill since I refused to let him pay for the whole thing and he refused for me to. Plus the restaurant was incredibly expensive.

When we stepped outside the air felt colder then it was before. Suhoon surprisingly held my hand again, as if it was nothing.  I felt closer to Suhoon now, I wondered if he felt the same way. Would he start treating me differently tomorrow?

“Here we are, there’s a lot of flavours to choose from.” He was right, there were tons, I found it so hard to choose.

“What do you want?” Suhoon asked.

“I’ll have the two scoops with Banana Caramel and Coconut, what are you going to get?”

“Just chocolate.” Suhoon got our ice creams and then we headed outside and sat at a nearby park.

“The sun looks so pretty when it goes down.” I commented.

“You really like skies, huh?” Suhoon said with a smirk.

“How did you know that?” I said curiously.

“It’s obvious, whenever you’re beside a window you stare at the sky in amusement.” Suhoon said while imitating me.

“Why are you observing me so intently…” I said with a smile.

“Observing? Don’t get too excited. You’re just interesting, or weird? Hmm, I can’t decide which one.” Suhoon said with a chuckle.

“Weird!? I’m not weird.” I said shocked. I was waving my hands while trying to defend myself and accidently got ice cream on Suhoon face.

“Oops…” I said. “I have a napkin, I’ll wipe i..” Before I could finish my sentence I felt cold chocolate ice cream on my right cheek.

“There, now we’re even.” He said satisfied.

“umm no we’re not, I didn’t do that purposely! I’m not giving you any napkins.” I said about to grab a napkin. But of course Suhoon grabbed them all out of my lap before I could get to them.

“Thanks for the tip.”

“Ya give those back! are you going to let me have chocolate ice cream on my face all day?” I said.

“Fine, I’ll wipe it off. I’m not going to let you take these napkins, just in case.”

“I’ll wipe i..” I stopped talking at the sight of Suhoon a few inches away from my face. Now I was sure he could hear my heart beating. He was so close, I could only stare at his perfect skin. Why couldn’t he just let me wipe it off? I felt so embarrassed.

After he wiped it off he just stared at me for a few seconds, and then quickly backed away. We were just sitting there awkwardly for some time, until a sudden spark of fireworks appeared in the sky.

“What are the odds?” I said with a smile. “I love fireworks. This will be great for the project.” I said.

“Yeah, for the project…” Suhoon mumbled.

“Wow, look art that one” I said pointing to a sapphire blue spark in the sky.

I could feel his gaze on me but was too scared to turn his way. Then I felt his hand getting closer to mine. I abruptly suggested that we should head back after the fireworks before it gets too late.  He just nodding in agreement.

“Let’s go then.” Suhoon said after the fireworks.

 

 

We arrived at the university an hour later. It was 9pm when we finally arrived.

“are you tired?” Suhoon asked.

“No, not really, why?”

“I was thinking, how about we just write the summary of what we did right now since its fresh from our minds. It’ll be better that way, right?”

“Yeah, that’s fine with me. Do you want to go to my room then? Hyunmin’s your roommate right? It’s too distracting with that boy around.” I said with a laugh.

“Sure, But Hyunmin isn’t at the dorm though. He and jay went to some overnight festival thing 2 hours away from the university. It’s a class trip.”

We finally arrived at my dorm. I unlocked the door but didn’t go in right away.

“Wait here, let me just make sure Raina is… dressed.”

“Dressed..?” Suhoon said with a strange look on his face.

“Just don’t ask, it’s a girl thing. One sec.”

I walked into the room and found Raina and Injun on the floor covered in a blanket, books all over the floor, her head sleeping on his shoulder. They were both asleep. I stared at the sight for a frew seconds, feeling a bit… jealous?  I quickly ran out of the room.

“We can’t go in there.” I said looking down.

“Why not?” Suhoon questioned. “Can’t you just tell her to put her clothes on?”

“Oh she’s fully clothed. She and Injun are kind of… umm.”

“What are they doing in there?” Suhoon pushed me out of the way and entered the room. It only took him 2 seconds to go in and go back out.

“See, told you. Ugh what am I going to do? I can’t sleep in there, it will just feel weird.” I said worried.

“Guess you’ll have to sleep in this dirty hallway then.” Suhoon said with a chuckle.

“Hmm, oh I guess I’ll just sleep in Hyunchul’s room then. He doesn’t have a roommate and I’m sure he’s lonely.” I said purposely trying to piss Suhoon off.

“Or you can just come to my dorm.” He said grabbing my wrist, leaving me no time to reply.

“I’m not falling asleep in your room. We can just do the project and I’ll stay awake until the morning.” I said crossing my arms.

“Do as you wish miss Sun.” Suhoon said with a smirk.

We entered Suhoon and Hyunmin’s dorm, which was surprisingly clean.

“Okay, let’s get to work then.” Suhoon said while bringing out his lap top. We sat on the floor and wrote the summary since the desk was too small for the both of us.

We managed to get the rough copy of the summary done in an hour. It was 10:15 PM and I was beginning to get tired.

Suhoon then put blankets and pillows on the floor.

“Just in case you fall asleep.” He said

“I won’t.” I knew I would, after he falls asleep though. I can’t fall asleep in a guy’s room, I’ve only known for a little over a week. This was definitely breaking my father’s “No boys” rule.

“Okay let’s edit it now” Suhoon said. He kept talking but it was all a blur to me, I was exhausted too exhausted to think.

“I’m jealous of them.” I said.

“Of who? Raina and Injun?”

“Yes, They looked so..cute.”

“Well Injun has liked Raina for a while.” Suhoon said. “Oops, don’t tell anyone I told you that.”

“I won’t, Raina likes Injun a lot too.”

Suhoon continued to edit the Summary as I just sat there, finding it difficult to keep my eyes open.

 

 

**No one’s point of view**

Morning came and there was Suhoon and Sun, sleeping side by side. Suhoon suddenly woke to someone poking at him.

“What do we have here?” Hyunmin said with a smirk.

Suhoon looked around to see Sun in fatal position with her hand hugging his like it was a teddy bear.

“You’ve got some explaining to do! I go for one night, and I find you and Sun sleeping on the floor together.” Hyunmin said while laughing.

Suhoon delicately took Sun’s arms off of his and got up. Then he managed to carry her to his bed and tucked her in.

“Hyung, what are you doing? Just wake her up!” Hyunmin said with a confused look on his face.

“She’s really tired, just let her sleep. She can’t go to her Dorm because well, Injun and Raina are kind of there.”

“Doing what?” Hyunmin asked. “Oh so now everyone has girlfriends except for me and Jay.” Hyunmin said irritated.

“I’ll explain later okay, just let her sleep.”

Suhoon and Hyunmin left the dorm to leave Sun there to sleep.

“Do you like her?” Hyunmin asked with a serious face.

“…Maybe.” Suhoon replied.

“Maybe? What kind of answer is that?”

“Yes, I like her. Happy now.”

 

 

**Suns point of view**

I awoke, finding myself in Suhoons dorm and in his bed.

“Why am I in his bed? I don’t remember making it all the way here… Nothing happened yesterday right? Omo I need to get out of here.”

I got my stuff and hurried out of the dorm.

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is an extremely long chapter, almost 3,000 words. Sorry about that, hehe. Hope this chapter is interesting. Enjoy~

 

Photo: Itaewon