A Step Further

Unexpected

 

**Hyunchuls Perspective**

I felt someone grab me by my wrist. It was none other than, Suhoon.

“Can we talk for a second?” Suhoon asked.

“Why?” I replied.

“I think we need to.” He said.

“Alright.” I said. We sat down at the nearest bench.

“I think I should just get straight to the point,” Suhoon said. “I know I shouldn’t be asking this but….do you like Sun by any chance?” Suhoon said.

I decided to act clueless of what he was saying and said something stupid. “Of course I like her, we’re friends…”

“No, I mean more than that.” He said.

Why was he asking me this in the first place? It’s really not his place. I’ve never really talked to him before and he’s acting so informal.

“Umm… Why does that come of importance to you? We don’t really know each other well Suhoon so why would I respond to that question…” I said trying not to act rude.

“Okay I understand then… I guess I’ll just come out and say it. I like Sun.” He said.

“I don’t know how to respond… Why are you telling me this?” I said.

“Because I just need you to know, that I really like her and that I’m willing to fight for her. I think you know that she’s not an ordinary girl and so….I really like her.”

“Look Suhoon…I’m not really comfortable with you telling me this. I feel kind of burdened and you telling e this won’t change anything. I think I know what you’re trying to say and I’m not going to adjust to your feelings. I’m really tired of seeing Sun get trampled on because of you and your friends.” I said.

“What!? Trampled over? How could you say that? Like you said we barely know each other, so how could you just judge me and my friends that way?”

“Because I’ve seen how she looks after she gets hurt, have you? You’re just the one hurting her, she runs away before you can see her in pain. But me, I always see her..actually I only see her when she’s upset. I’m not saying all of her pain comes from you, because it obviously comes from many other things, but still. I don’t think you need to add to her stress.”

“Hyunchul, I’ve seen her in pain before. I’ve seen her cry her eyes out before, I’ve seen it all, so don’t say things you don’t even know about. Look I didn’t come to fight, okay. Clearly there’s no point in talking to you. I’ll leave first.” Suhoon said getting up and leaving.

Yes I was acting really rude and disrespectful but I just had so much anger in me. I don’t know why but whenever I see Sun hanging around with Suhoon I get a really bad feeling.

**Suns Point of view**

After what Jihwan told me…. I just can’t stop thinking about it. Why would Suhoon like me though? When I think about it we don’t really know that much about each other. I mean sure we talk and laugh a lot in class and Raina and I usually eat lunch with him and his friends but is that really enough for him to confess to me? But then…Wait, why do I like him? These thoughts just keep repeating in my head.

Suddenly I saw Suhoon and Hyunchul sitting on a bench talking. They both didn’t seem to be having a happy conversation.

“Wait.. What if they’re fighting?” I decided to walk up to them to see what was going on but then I felt someone’s hand on my shoulder.

“Mind your own business Sun.” Hyunmin said.

“Eh? What are you talking about I was just walking down the hall peacefully.” I said.

“You were eavesdropping.” Hyunmin said.

“…..So what if I was?”

“Let’s go.”

“Go where?” I asked.

“Wherever you were heading.” He replied.

“I was heading to the girls bathroom actually. Still want to follow me?”

“Sure we can talk on the way.”

“Haha, suit yourself,” I said as we continued to walk. “So what do you want to talk about?” I asked.

“Suhoon.” Hyunmin said.

“But of course. I mean what else do you ever talk to me about? Suhoon should just confess to you inste-...” I said realizing what I just let out.

“What..?! Instead… Does this maybe mean..”

“Huh?! What are you talking about. I’ll be going now,” I said attempting to make a run for it before he grabbed my arm. “Ugh again with the arm pulling. Jeez Korean boys really don’t know what personal space is at all.”

“You don’t have to worry, I already knew.” He said.

“Wait what?! You know he con..fff..ess.ed to me?” I said. It felt so weird saying the word ‘confessed’ out loud.

“Me and Suhoon are really close, I know everything.” He said.

“Well considering how nosy you are, I’m not surprised,” I said. “Wait so is that what you wanted to talk about?”

“What are your feelings for him?” He asked.

My cheeks suddenly got red by the question. “How can you ask me such a question so directly and straightforward?” I said.

“I am Hyunmin, I don’t have time to waste. Why are you so embarrassed? Do you perhaps…like him!?” He said.

“Oh stop putting words in my mouth. Why should I answer your question-“

Suddenly we both saw Suhoon walking past us angrily at a fast pace.

“Whoa I wonder what happened.” Hyunmin said.

“See, that’s why I was going to interrupt them earlier so that this wouldn’t happen.” I said.

“Go after him.” Hyunmin said.

“What…?”

“Go after him. Sun considering how slow you are I’ll just tell you what it was about.”

“…”

“YOU. Therefore you are accountable for him being angry and therefore you should go after him and see what’s wrong.”

“Are you serious Hyunmin? Why should I go after him? I mean it’s not my fault that he’s angry. And.. angry Suhoon is scary.” I said defending myself.

“How is it not your fault? Everything that happened today is your fault. He’s only upset because of you these days.” Hyunmin said.

“Wait.. What!? Because of me? But-“

“Can you just shut up and go after him, you are wasting both of our time.”

“Ugh fine.” I said giving in. Hyunmin pushed me forward and so I decided to go after him.

As I was looking for him I finally saw a big black sweater and could identify it was him.

“Why is he opening the door to the staircase? Why not use the elevator?” I said to myself.

I took a deep breath before opening the door. Why am I so nervous?

“Okay, crazy Sun mode. Crazy Sun is not afraid of anything.” I said finally opening the door.

“Suhoon! Why are you in here?” I asked.

“Sun what are you doing here?” He replied.

“Hey, that’s my question.” I said.

“Because… There’s no one here.” He simply replied.

“Why are you…upset though? I guess that’s the question I want to ask.” I said.

“You don’t need to know.”

“But I want to know, and I deserve to know. You and Hyunchul fought right?”

“I… don’t like that boy.”

“Why do you two dislike each other so much?”

“It’s nothing, okay.”

“You never tell me anything anymore. Even things that are about me.” I said feeling disappointed.

“Why do you think it’s about you?”

“Hyunmin put that into my head.”

“Well.. He’s right.”

“You guys were fighting because of me? But.. Why?”

“What else would we be fighting about Sun?” Suhoon said.

“I don’t know…”

“Anyways that’s all Hyunchul would have wanted me to say about the situation. I’m not going to say anything else. I’m just really stressed out. I have a million things going through my head. School projects, Tests, Injun leaving, and… Y-

Suddenly, seeing Suhoon’s upset face, I felt like my heart was going to burst. He looked like he was in so much pain and I felt sorry for everything that happened. So….

I hugged him.

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry for over reacting in the morning and not understanding. I’m sorry for screaming at you and I’m sorry for jumping to conclusions. I’m just sorry for everything.”

I felt Suhoon begin to hug me tighter. I felt my heart beating extremely fast and so loudly that I was afraid that he could hear it. But I became less embarrassed when I was able to feel his heart also beating quickly. At that moment I felt like this was no one way thing. We both liked each other. Or at least, I hoped so.

Suddenly I heard the door opened. We both turned our heads to see who it was. As I turned my head slowly my eyes immediately widened.

It just had to be Hyunchul. Of all people.