The Beginning

Unexpected

 

I felt butterflies gather in my stomach as we approached Pearson airport. The light rain and gloomy weather didn’t make it any better. I couldn’t believe that this day had finally come, that I was actually leaving and going to be living on my own. I’m only 19 years old, can I really make it on my own? Why am I only having these thoughts now?

Olivia and I helped unload the bright red suitcases out of the van. My father got a cart for us to put all the suitcases on so we could take them into luggage check. From the moment we arrive at the airport until I checked my bags in and walked to the departures section, no one spoke. I couldn’t even look at anyone, knowing that once I did I would have to say goodbye. Suddenly Olive hugged me and started crying.

“Crap, I told you not to cry but now look who’s crying”

Crying is a contagious thing for me. Once someone starts to cry, I automatically star crying too. I finally let out all the emotions I was holding in and started to cry. I could barely see anything but I could tell that my parent’s eyes were watery.

“Maybe I should just study here, with you. That would be better, wouldn’t it?”

“No, I can’t let you do that, you can’t do that! Listen sun, you’ve always wanted to study in Korea, this is your dream, Don’t you ever forget that! You’re getting on that plane, understand me! No matter how painful it feels right now, you have to get on that plane and make me proud ok! Our friendship is so strong that we will still be together, no matter how far apart we are, you know that.” Olive said while holding my head and wiping all my tears away.

“All your make-up is ruined now! Now no cute Korean boy will look at you! Eotokke!” Olive said while crying.

We both started to laugh and cry at the same time.

“You better not find another friend here in Toronto and replace me! I’ll kill you if you do!”

“You better not replace me with some cute boy, or I’LL kill you!”

“We’ll see who kills who first then!”

I turned to my mom and dad to see them laughing and smiling at us.

“You kids are too much, it’s going to be so lonely without you too bickering and fan girling all over the place”

“Omeni, its okay, I’ll still visit and annoy you, you don’t have to worry.”

“Oh dear” My mom said with a sad smile on her face while turning to me.

“Don’t get into much trouble, don’t do anything stupid. Make sure you eat well, and keep your house clean!”

“AND No boys!” My dad interrupted.

“You can’t leave your dorm ever unless you're going to class. Don’t even think about talking to a boy. And no boys! Do you understand” My father kept repeating.

“Of course… none of that.” My mom said in a sarcastic tone while winking at me.

“I saw that” my dad said while looking irritated.

“Dad don’t worry, I won’t talk to any boys….Unless they’re cute.”

Olivia and I couldn’t contain our laughter after looking at my dad’s face.

*Flight to Seoul Korea now boarding*

I spread out both of my arms and hugged all three of them.

“I’ll miss you guys; don’t worry too much about me okay? I’m going to work hard and make you all proud.”

I bowed my head took a deep breath. I smiled brightly and waved.

“Good bye. I love you.”

“Goodbye, be safe, we love you.” My mom said.

I turned around and made my way to the line to board the plane.

I guess this was it. The beginning of my journey. 

 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope this chapter was enjoyable. Subscribe and comment. Constructive criticism is allowed =) 

P.S thats a picture of Pearson Airport =)