Coincidence Or Fate?

Unexpected

 

“Where are we going….? Aren’t we going to take the bus? We just passed the bus stop..” I asked as Suhoon was dragging me somewhere.

“It’s a walking distance.” He replied.

“A walking distance!?” Where could he be taking me if it was a walking distance? There was nothing that interesting around our university. “Are we going to eat somewhere then? We could have just eaten at the University.”

“Sorry to let you down but no, where we are going does not involve food.” He said laughing at me.

“Then this is a waste of my time.” I said pouting.

“So if you’re not studying or eating then it’s a waste of time eh?” He asked.

“I guess so” I said.

“Well you’re going to have to add seeing me to that list because I know you like spending time with me and I’m sure you don’t think that I’m a waste of your time..”

“sure….” I said teasing.

“Here we are!” He said.

“A jewellery shop…? Umm why did you bring me here?” He better not have brought me here to buy me something. I really hated stuff like that.

“Don’t get too excited I’m not buying you a golden ring.”

“Hah, as if I ever thought you were going to do that. We students can only afford plastic rings.” I said laughing.

“I want you to meet someone in here.” He said as we walked into the store.

“Meet someone… Does someone you know work here…?” He wasn’t going to introduce me to his parents or anything..right? I really need to stop jumping to conclusions. I guess when you’re in a relationship you tend to do that a lot… or maybe it was just me.

“Suhoon!” I heard a familiar voice called.

When I turned my head to see who it was I met eyes with a familiar face. “Uncle!” I screamed.

“Uncle?” Suhoon asked in shock.

“I haven’t seen you for so long,” I said as I hugged him. “I didn’t know how to get in contact with you. I also couldn’t find where your chandelier shop was…. Did you turn it into a jewellery shop..?” I asked.

“Yes I did. I’m so glad to see you! But.. did you happen to come with Suhoon..?”

“Yeah, I did. How do you guys know each other?” I asked.

“I was about to ask you the same thing.” My uncle asked.

“Oh he’s my… my…”

“Boyfriend.” Suhoon finished for me.

“Ummm… right.. that.” I said embarrassed.

“Boyfriend!? Suhoon is your boyfriend. Your father won’t be happy to hear this.” He jokingly said. “This is a very interesting coincidence though..” My uncle said.

“So how do you guys know each other?” I asked again.

“This is really interesting,” Suhoon said still looking shocked. He looked like he was in deep thought. “Actually, he’s the man who gave me this necklace.” Suhoon said holding our matching necklaces.

“w..what?! Uncle you’re the one who gave it to him?” I asked shocked.

“Did you two happen to meet after I gave you that, Suhoon?” My Uncle asked.

“Yes… On the day you gave it to me we had a misunderstanding.” Suhoon said laughing at the reminder of it.

“Why did you give it to him?” I asked with curiosity.

“Well he found it for me and I kept losing it so I decided to let him borrow it… But I think you should just keep it now.” My Uncle explained.

“Keep it?” Suhoon said acting shy now.

“I’m pretty sure you know that it’s not a coincidence that the name Sun is engraved on the back of it. I was close to the craft man’s lover. She passed on both of the necklaces to me before she died since he died a year before her. She told me to give one to my sister and to give the other to someone who deserved it…” My Uncle said.

Suddenly I remembered something my mother had said to be before we left to go to the Airport.

“This necklace means a lot to me. Actually if it wasn’t for this necklace me and your father would have never met, but I’ll tell you that story later.”

I now became really curious to know how they both met. Was it under a similar circumstance of how Suhoon and I met? I know I was probably jumping to conclusions now but I was feeling quite nervous suddenly.

 

This atmosphere kind of got awkward after that so my Uncle made some tea. For an hour or so we stayed there and I answered my Uncles questions. Suhoon stayed pretty quiet the whole time. Even on the bus ride back we were pretty quiet. I was relieved when we finally arrived back at the university.

“Umm I have to go to the main office because of something so you can go ahead.” I lied. I needed to go somewhere alone to call my mom.

“Oh.. okay. Bye Sun.” He said.

“Bye” I said immediately making my way to the nearest building. I called my mom not caring about what time it would be there, I just needed her to answer.

“Hello, sun?”

“Mom!”

“Why are you calling so early in the morning…”

“It’s the evening here…” I said.

“Ahh right. How are you doing?”  She asked.

“umm okay.. I guess. But I wanted to ask you about something…”

“What is it?”

“How did you and dad meet?”

“Isn’t that kind of sudden.” My mom said laughing.

“I need to know!” I said.

“Why..? You sound strange.” My mother said.

“Well there’s this boy and..”

“A boy!” My mom interrupted. “Do you have a boyfriend Sun!? Your dad is going to freak out when he finds out” My mom said laughing.

“That doesn’t seem like a problem right now to me, I’m kind of…scared…” I said.

“Why so? Because you’ve never had one before? Oh by the way you need to tell me all about him so I can make sure he’s not dangerous, does he have facebook?”

“Mom really? Facebook? Why would I give that to you, I’m embarrassed enough that you have one.”

“Excuse you! Anyways, how did you meet? Not at a club right?”

“I met him in the druggies pit at out University. All the coolest people hang out there!” I said laughing at my own joke.

“If that was true I would fly over there now and slap some sense into yo0u!” My mom said.

“Back to being serious…We met..well it’s kind of a complicated story… But you see.. you know how the necklace you gave me is a couple necklace?”

“Yes…” My mom said confused of why I brought it up.

“He has the other one..” I said.

“WHAT? How?! Is he related to the couple that made it? Omo this suddenly seems a lot more complicated than I thought.” My mom said freaking out. As you can see I get that from my mother.

“No he’s not related to them, Uncle Park gave it to him…before we met.” I said.

“Gave it to him? Why would he do that? Do they have a close relationship?” My mom asked.

“No, they don’t. He just gave it to him after he found it for him. Uncle said he had a feeling like he should let him borrow it for a while…” I said.

“That’s quite a coincidence Sun” My mom said sounding worried.

“We also met because of the necklace…How did you and Dad meet?” I asked

“Well I told you it was because of the necklace your uncle gave me. Your father and I met in university and I happened to lose the necklace in my first year there. Luckily when I went to the lost and found it was there. It had a note that was attached to it…a corny love letter. At first I thought it was a prank or a joke. Later I found out it was from your father and he told me that I dropped it while I was walking. He liked me then so he wanted to return it and confess at the same time” My mom said giggling.

“Wow dad is really corny…” I said.

“Speaking of dad, I have to go wake him up so he doesn’t get late to work. I’ll talk to you later Sun about this. Just act normal for now. Bye!” My mom said hanging up.

My mom’s story was strangely similar to mine. It scared me even more and I just felt really weird.

“Ugh, what are you thinking Sun!” I said hitting my head.

“What are you doing Sun?” I heard a voice call.

“Ahh Hyunchul. Ummm.. My head just hurts a lot...” I said.

“So you’re hitting it? I don’t think that will work…” He said laughing.

“Haha yeah, I guess you’re right.”

“Why’re you in the science building? You don’t have any science classes..”

“Oh umm… I was really cold so I came here..”

“Ah.. so not to see me I suppose.” He said joking.

“That too!” I said smiling. “Since its cold, do you want to go drink some tea at the cafe?” I asked.

“Sure…” He said.

 

“What did you do today?” Hyunchul asked while he was adding 2 cubes of sugar to his tea.

“I went to this jewellery shop with..” I stoped myself from saying Suhoon. “…a friend..” I said smiling.

“Suhoon…?” He said. I’m not very good at covering things up.

“I just didn’t want to make things awkward, sorry.” I said.

“Why did you guys go there, already getting married?” He said jokingly.

I almost spit out my tea at the sound of that.

“Are you alright?” He said laughing.

“I’m fine.” I said as I was coughing from almost choking. “We went there to visit my Uncle..” For some reason that didn’t seem to sound better.

“To get his blessing?” He said teasing again.

“Hey! Stop that before I spit my tea on you this time!” I said laughing. “It was just a coincidence. They knew each other and he wanted to introduce me to him and well he turned out to be my Uncle..” I said.

“Wouldn’t you have known it was your Uncle’s shop though?” He asked.

“No… He had a chandelier shop before but now changed it so I couldn’t find where his shop was.” I said.

“Why do you look so stressed then? You just saw your Uncle who I assume you haven’t seen for a while.”

“Stressed? I’m fine,” I said forcing a smile. “You seem…okay now..” I let out.

“Okay with what? You and Suhoon? I guess that’s something I’ll just have to get use to. Don’t get your hopes up though, I still don’t like seeing you two together..”

“You two could be close friends.. I think you both would get along but I guess I kind of ruined the chance of that ever happening..” I said.

“Would we being friend make you happy?” He asked seriously.

“Yes…”

“Hmmm… we’ll see about that..” He said. I didn’t bother to get my hopes up though.

 

“You go in first; I have to get some books at the library.” Hyunchul said as we were standing outside of the dorm building.

“Ahh..okay. It was nice talking to you Hyunchul. I feel better now. See you tomorrow.”

Suddenly Hyunchul hugged me. I didn’t know what to do. If I pushed him away wouldn’t he feel really hurt… In Toronto this wouldn’t be that big of a deal to hug a friend but here it was if that person wasn’t your boyfriend…

“Can I just hug you for a little bit?” He said.

“Umm…” I didn’t know what to say or do.. I simply just stood there.

 

**Hyunmins Point of View**

As I was finally heading back to the dorm I spotted Sun’s navy blue jacket. As I was about to call out her name I saw someone with her…

“Is that.. Hyunchul?” I whispered to myself. “Not like it’s a big deal, I guess they’re fine now.”

As I was about to continue walking towards the doors I came to an immediate halt.

“What is he doing!?” I said shocked. I quickly hid behind something.

“Is Sun crazy? Why isn’t she pushing him away?”

“Hyunmin? What the heck are you doing hiding behind garbage can at this hour” I heard a voice say.

“Jihwan, shh and don’t show yourself!” I said.

“Why.. Are you drunk?” He said.

“No you idiot, look!” I said.

“Omo… is that Sun!”

“I know right, that crazy bi..”

“Hey! Watch your language.. he’s just hugging her.. That no big deal in Alaska right?”

“Alaska.. You mean Canada you idiot.”

“Oh right, oops.”

“Idiot..” I said trying not to laugh.

“Finally he left… Wait until Suhoon hears about this.” I was angry, confused and disappointed. What exactly was going on and why did Sun let it happen.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So sorry for not updating for the past few weeks. After the winter break i had so much work i could barely take an hour break. Exams are over now and i'm enjoying my exam break! I actually wrote like half of this chapter a week or so ago but it wasn't interesting enough for me to post so i decided to continue it after i was done exams. Hope you all enoy it!