Chapter 30 + Epilogue

Let's Meet Halfway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 30

 

 

The first thing that I saw when I went out of the bus where other soldiers are, was a camera. I can’t help but smirked when I saw it. It's been like forever since I last saw a camera and it was like a wake up call that indeed, I am back to reality. I am finally back to my life. I felt relieved when I saw my parents waving at me when I got off the bus. I think I only made five steps before I started to be bombarded by the media. 

 

A lot of reporters and cameras surround me. I noticed my dongsaengs too and we were all led to be together by our company staff who also waited for our arrival.

 

“So what’s the first thing you’ll do when you arrive home?” A reporter struggled to ask with all other media men on the crowd.

 

I smiled. “I’ll sleep. I’ll definitely sleep first.” 

 

Everyone laughed. They also probably noticed how tired-looking we all are but I guess we're genuinely smiling now because we're finally together again. 

 

“When are we going to expect a CNBLUE comeback stage?” One reporter asked.

 

“Absolutely very soon. We’re going to spend time with our families for a while then get back to work again immediately. We definitely miss doing music together." Jonghyun answered. 

 

“Now that you’ve finished the army service, did marriage come to your mind?” 

 

Marriage? The mic was actually towards me. So the question was surely for me but I was caught off guard. Good thing Minhyuk saved me when he spoke.

 

“Well everybody thinks of marriage. But for now, we want to just go back to work and to our usual lives, and when we feel that we want to get married, we would absolutely not hesitate to do that. I mean, a lot of our colleagues got married already, we are also at the right age too, so I'm sure our time for that will come." Minhyuk explained.

 

Before any other reporter can ask other questions, we thanked the people and our fans who waited among the crowd, cheering us up. Our company staff led us to the van to take us away from the media.

 

“Wow. I think I need to get used to the media again.” Jungshin commented when we all relaxedly sat on the van. “It was overwhelming that I couldn't seem to answer any question anymore."

 

“But really,... Minhyuk-ah... It seems like you really have thought of marriage already when you answered the question, huh?" Jonghyun commented.

 

“Aniyo.” Minhyuk defended. “It’s just that Yonghwa Hyung didn’t answer and the reporters are waiting already. I just answered whatever comes to mind. Besides, we're not young and new to the industry anymore for those questions. Right?"

 

Jonghyun didn’t comment another word. He just stared at me and tapped my knee. I remembered our conversation back in Busan during our vacation. Then I recalled the reporter's question: 'Did marriage come to your mind?'  I was silent. But my heart was screaming. How can I think of marriage when the woman I love is probably married already?

 

I wanted to ask the people. I wanted to ask anyone. How is she? Is she married already? Is she happy? 

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Take care, Oppa.” I said.

 

Daehan Oppa tapped my head lightly. He visited me here in the dorm to inform me that he’s leaving for France tomorrow and will be staying there for a year. It has already been two months since we broke up.

 

Last month, we made a public statement about our relationship, saying that we both decided to go on our separate ways. We thanked all the people who supported us. And surprisingly, there were no negative rumors about the break up. I guess being more active off cam has helped us move on with our lives without too much public's attention. 

 

“I will. Take care too Joohyun-ah.” He said. 

 

I smiled at him. “One day Oppa, I hope you will find someone who will truly make you happy.”

 

He looked down and grinned sadly. “I did.” He said. “But she loves someone else.”

 

“Oppa...” 

 

He tapped my cheek lightly, “Don’t worry. It’s okay. I’m fine. And I am sure you are too. He’s home Joohyun. Make sure to see him and be happy with him."

 

Before I can even answer, Daehan Oppa walked away and drove off to go home. I took a deep breath. I am thankful that he remained to be my friend despite the break up. But then I sighed again. He's home. Yong Oppa is home.

 

While I was mentoring my hoobaes a while ago, I received a phone call from Tiffany Unnie, telling me that she saw on the news that CN boys finally arrived in Seoul today from the army. She said  they all look tired but definitely more mature and handsome. Just the thought of Yong Oppa being in Seoul again makes my heart beats faster. He's here. We're just in the same city.

 

After taking a shower, while I was drying my hair up, I opened my drawer. I took out the boxes. The boxes of letters that I kept for entire two years.

 

“Excited?” Hyoyeon Unnie stopped my thoughts as she suddenly spoke and sat on my bed. 

 

I looked at her while holding some of the letters, “Excited and nervous.” 

 

“Nervous? Why should you be nervous?” 

 

“I’m excited to see him... But I’m nervous about what will I say when I see him. Plus, for the last two months on his military service, he stopped sending me letters."

 

Hyoyeon Unnie stood up and embraced me. “Maknae... There’s no point of worrying anymore. You’ve been through a lot.” Then she releaed me from her hug, "I knew it. We all knew it. CNSD are not delusional. You see, despite everything, you still want him in your life. And do you know how hard we all try just to get you two together? So stop worrying... you both have to work it out."

 

“Thanks Unnie. I know you all suffered because of our stubbornness too.” 

 

“Ani.” She said. “We just want you to be happy. So go on... And everything will be alright.”

 

I still don’t know what will happen if I see him. I don’t even know when, where or how I’ll be able to talk to him.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

After spending time and eating lunch with my parents on my first day as a released soldier, I had to say goodbye to them right away. They have to go back to Busan for a business and I already have a schedule tonight. I am really back to work again.

 

Well, my dongsaengs and I decided that there’s no point of delaying our work. We just need a one night full sleep and then we can go bak to what we used to do before. Although ironicallly, despite answering the reporter that I'll sleep on my first night, I wasn't able to sleep.

 

Aside from my parents, the first person I wanted to see was Seohyun. I wonder where she is right now. I wonder if she saw us on TV yesterday when we arrived from the army. Or maybe not. I wonder if she's in Seoul. Or she might be somewhere else, spending her happily married life.

 

“Ready guys?” The DJ approached us. As our first schedule, we are going to have an interview on a radio station, to talk about our plans as newly returned band.

 

We were happy with the fans' reception. In just a blink of an eye, we were like back to how our lives were as public figures. Answering questions, and even joking around like we used to do.

 

The DJ tapped our shoulders, “The band who slayed the world is finally back.” He said when we finished the radio interview. "Welcome back guys. We're excited with your music. See you around."

 

We said goodbye and thanked the staff. 

 

“I’m hungry. It’s late already and we haven’t had dinner yet.” Jungshin whined while walk toward the parking lot. 

 

“Hey...” I said, checking my pockets. “I think I left my phone at the studio.” I said. I turned to the boys and to our Manager. "Go ahead, I'll just follow you. I brought my car anyway." I said then ran back inside the studio.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I massaged my neck while I stare at the restroom mirror after my last schedule for the week. I had mentored Red Velvet for their comeback and just now, I just finished an interveiw because I wrote their title track.

 

I look messed up and tired. But I’m glad I was able to finish my schedule. After thanking all the staff and crew, I decided to go home right away. I was looking for my phone inside my bag to call Hyoyeon Unnie and tell her to prepare food because I'm a little hungry.

 

“Seohyun?” Someone suddenly called out my name. But instead of looking right away to see who it was, I paused. 

 

That voice. I knew that voice. 

 

Then my heart suddenly beats faster. And my hands started to tremble. I slowly look up. A man wearing black pants, gray jacket and sneakers, standing few meters from me. I felt the whole world suddenly stopped.

 

***

 

I immediately went inside the building to get my phone. Good thing it was there. After chatting to some producers a little, I walked down the hallway. My stomach is grumbling already. I'm a little hungry.

 

While walking, I check messages from my phone. Then  I heard footsteps from the other hallway. It was surely from a woman because of the sound of the heels. I almost lost grip of my phone when I  turn to see who was walking. She has a long, dark brown, wavy hair, wearing a black coat that reaches her knees, pants and brown boots.

 

And when she flipped her hair and her face was shown, my heart stopped. 

 

“Seohyun?” I immediately mumbled. I didn’t think anymore. I didn’t wait anymore. 

 

She paused. She didn’t move a bit. Then slowly, just how perfect a slow motion on movies is, she slowly look up. And my, that face. The face of an angel. I always look at her picture, but seeing her in person again felt so surreal.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

Jung Yonghwa. He’s here. Yong Oppa is right in front of me. 

 

We stared at each other for a long time. We were like examining each other’s faces. And I finally realized I am not really dreaming when he started walking toward me. He walked slowly, but the more he gets closer, the more my heart beats faster. Then without thinking twice, I walked toward him too.

 

Slowly, each footstep was like slowly recorded on my mind. Then we stopped. 

 

“Hi.” He started to speak again. 

 

“Hi.” I answered back. 

 

Oh my, there are so many things I want to tell him. I have been planning for two months what to tell him when I see him, but here I am, speechelss. And he is too.

 

As we continue to stare at each other, it feels like we both don’t know what to do next or even what to say next. Then we laughed a little at the same time, feeling how awkward we are and how unexpected this meeting is.

 

Then he started to wander his eyes around, he suddenly chuckled. “Look.” He said. As his eyes point out our surrounding. "Remember?" He asked.

 

I slowly looked at the place. And yes, photographic memories started to run in my head. And the more I remember the details vividly, I can't help but smile. This was exactly the same lobby where we met. The place where it all started. The most unforgettable moment of meeting for the first time.

 

Yong Oppa bowed his head lightly, then pulled out his hand. “Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Jung Yonghwa. I’m 30 years old. I just got back from the army. But I am a singer, and an actor too. I am a composer, a lyricist and a producer."

 

I happily pulled out my hand and touch his for a hand shake. “Annyeonghaseyo. I’m Seo Joohyun. I’m 28 years old. I am a singer and a musical actress. I am also a composer, lyricist and a music trainer. It's nice to meet you... Jung Yonghwa."

 

Then he held my hand tightly, and nodded slowly while looking straight at my eyes, “Yes... It’s nice to meet you...again, Seo Joohyun." Then he grinned, "Just like the old times..."

 

I nodded and smile widely. I forgot to ask why he’s here. I think I don’t need those details anymore. The most important thing is that he's here and I am not dreaming. Yes. Our hands touch, this is not a dream.

 

Then suddenly, he looked around.“Are you.... Alone? Is Daehan with...with you right now?” He stuttered. 

 

Instead of answering, I just bade him a smile. “Can you come with me?” I said immediately. I know he was a little confused. “This won't take long. I just want to show you something." I said.

 

And with just a second, he just nodded his head and agreed.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

I kept staring back and forth to the road and to the woman beside me while I was driving. Until now, I can’t believe that I’m with Seohyun. I wanted to ask her so many questions. I wanted to say a lot of things when I longed for her during the military service.

 

My mind is filled with words to say, like rumbling words but I don’t know where to start. She didn’t answer my question about Shin Daehan. I am a littlel confused. She was silent the entire drive too. She was just looking forwardly, with hands fidgeting.

 

We’re in a very weird situation. But the weirdest thing about it, is that I like it. 

 

“Ah... By the way, where are we going?” I asked while driving.

 

She chuckled. “I thought you’re not going to ask me since you just drive right away. Let’s go to our dorm.” 

 

She told me to wait outside when we arrived in their dorm. I parked the car. While waiting for her, leaning my back on my car, I think I am still in awe. Am I just dreaming? Am I really with Seohyun now? Then with just a few minutes, she came back, holding a paper bag, which I think was a little heavy for her to carry so I helped her right away.

 

Without a word, she led me to the park across their dorm; that park we stayed at when she gave me the YongSeo Story II at the end of our virtual marriage.

 

I looked at her once more, then she looked back at me. “It’s really you. I’m not dreaming, right?” I said.

 

Her eyes smiled and sparkled, that kind that makes my heart flutter, that kind of sparkle that I always loved. “And it’s really you.." She looked at me, like tracing every part of my face. Then suddenly, she picked the paper bag.

 

We sat back on the bench, then she handed me boxes. My eyes grew bigger when I realized what they were. These were the boxes of letters I sent her during my military service.

 

Then I felt a twinge in my heart. It pained me. I think she’s returning all the letters I wrote her.

 

“When I was reading your letters, I really felt that you were having a hard time in the army.” She looked at me with those beautiful eyes, "I wish I could have been there to help you..."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter