Chapter 29

Let's Meet Halfway
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter 29

 

 

 

“Hey what’s up ‘Roxie’?” Tiffany Unnie peeked at my dressing room when the musical show ended. She gave me a bouquet of roses to congratulate me. And all my Unnies came inside and greeted me.

 

“Maknae!!!” Taeyeon Unnie hugged me. “I’m so proud of you. You really nailed that 'Roxie' character you played!” She said. Then she combed my hair with her fingers. "You've grown up already, really!"

 

“Of course she did grow up already. She’s even getting married ahead of us.” Yuri Unnie commented. 

 

I hugged all of them. “Thanks Unnie. I’m really glad you were all able to come for the finale stage.”

 

“You’ve worked hard. How about we celebrate?” Hyoyeon Unnie suggested. 

 

“Okay. But, let’s just celebrate at home.” I said. 

 

When we all head back to the dorm, we bought food to munch to have a little celebration of the ending of my musical and also to celebrate the success of Sooyoung Unnie's movie. My Unnies and I are all working indivually now than as a group, but I'm glad we're still intact despite everything and still meet each other once in a while.

 

“Oh by the way, where’s Daehan?” Sunny Unnie asked me. 

 

I was getting kimbap and answered, “He has a convention in Singapore today. He called to say that he can’t watch the last day of the musical."

 

“Your fiance is really busy making money.” Sooyoung Unnie said while eating. “He must really be preparing so much for your wedding and your future."

 

"As if he still needs to make money.... he can provide for his family and even up to the 7th generation." Taeyeon Unnie commented.

 

I just smiled. 

 

“Oh Maknae... By the way,” Jessica Unnie hurriedly got up and picked something from her bag, “Here.” 

 

“What’s this, Unnie?”

 

“Designs. Designs to choose from for your wedding gown. I contacted the other designers I met when I was in school in New York and look, we found designs that are perfect for you." Jessica Unnie said excitedly.

 

Slowly, I scan the portfolio and look at the designs. My other Unnies look at it too and they started to talk simultaneously and nonstop about their suggestions and all. As usual, my Unnies are more excited than me.

 

I promised Daehan Oppa that we will start planning for the wedding after my musical and after his two last conventions. He wanted to be hands on with the preparation. And since we're not promoting a new album anymore, and I am more active off cam by composing songs and mentoring our hoobaes, I have all the time to prepare for the wedding.

 

“So, is there any design that caught you?” Yoona Unnie asked while the others are still scanning the portfolio. 

 

“Well... They are all beautiful.” That was all I said. 

 

When all of us were done eating and cleaning up, I immediately took a shower to freshen up while my mind was preoccupied on how to start the wedding preparation.

 

“Hon, congratulations on your musical. I know you did well. About the wedding, I can hire a wedding planner, Hon. But it's better if we plan it ourselves to be more personal. Well, the venue, reception, sponsors and guests... these should be prepared but we can make it more exclusive and private like what you always want. Don't stress yourself. Your Unnies will help you anyway. I'll help you when I get back, okay? I love you." 

 

Reading Daehan Oppa’s message was overwhelming already. What more to start the real preparation. The water on the shower is dripping all over me. I feel stressed out because I feel like I'm forcing myself. It's like I can't find the drive inside me to start. But I can do this. I can, right?

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“Omma!” I hugged my mother right away when I saw her waiting at the Busan Terminal. It was a one-week vacation from the army. Since I have two months left before my release, we are given more freedom now than the novices. 

 

My mother embraced me tightly like I was back being a little boy, “Yonghwa-ya!” She muttered and examine my face. "Look at you, you become so skinny now." She said worriedly. 

 

I laughed as I crossed my arm on her shoulder while we walk toward the parking lot, “It’s okay Omma. That’s even better since at least, no one recognizes me for now." I said. "I can go back to my normal weight after the army."

 

We talked endlessly on the car on our way home. She said she cooked a lot to welcome me for this vacation. I’m excited to spend time with my family. I am also excited to see Jonghyun tomorrow since he's also spending his vacation here in Busan. I wish Jungshin and Minhyuk were here too.

 

After greeting my Appa, they started to prepare food while I walk toward my room. I breathed deeply. I missed this. I never thought I would feel new to my own home. I miss my family and my hometown.... but I aslo miss our dorm in Seoul. Or maybe the dorm is just an excuse, but the truth is I want to see if my 'neighbor' who lives on the fourth floor is there now. Or she might be in their dorm.

 

My room didn’t change a bit. I lit a candle with a scent and told my parents that I’ll take a nap for a while before eating. Just like what I always do, I lie on my bed and turn on my music player to play random songs. I grinned, it was 'Love Light' that was first played. 

 

After enjoying the playlist, I decided to turn it off. As I reach my hand on the table beside me where my boombox is, I accidentally flipped the newspaper beside it. I got up... and froze when I read the headlines. 

 

 

 

“The Chaebol and the Princess Maknae are finally about to start their ‘Happily Ever After’?”

 

There’s a Biblical saying that ‘the first shall be the last and the last shall be the first.’ And will this saying be proven by the Maknae of the Nation's girl group?  Will she be the first SNSD member to walk down the aisle?

 

SNSD’s Maknae Seohyun was spotted with her boyfriend, Shin Daehan, the heir of Shin Group of Companies and currently the CEO of Diamond Hotels, entering a private wedding shop last week.

 

About this rumor, a lot of fans were surprised and at the same time excited for the beautiful Maknae who is now a fully grown lady and who has fulfilled her career and education goals. So now, is she preparing to be a bride already?

 

Both parties haven’t confirmed yet about this but right now, fans still continue to wish the couple the best of luck whatever their future plans are. 

 

 

“Yonghwa-ya, come on let’s eat. I cooked your favorite-” 

 

With trembling hands while holding the newspaper, I heard my mother stopped talking and just walked to approach me. She sat beside me on my bed and looked at the newspaper I was holding.

 

“Yonghwa...” Omma held my hand. “I was holding that and was supposed to keep it. But I think I left it here when I was cleaning your room." My mother explained.

 

I felt my eyes welling up and my breathing becomes harder. I felt like I was palpitating inside. With my voice cracking, “So that’s the reason why she never responded to my letters...she's getting married, Omma?" I asked softly, then looked away before my mother sees my tears.

 

Omma hugged me right away and patted my back. We stayed like that for a while. And like a little child, I buried my face on my Mother's shoulder and let out my emotions silently.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

 

“I read the news Hyung.” Jonghyun said as we sat on the bench, watching the sunset after a two-hour-jog at the park near Haeundae beach.

 

When Jonghyun and I met, we just started jogging right away. No words needed, just a brotherly greeting. I knew it. I knew he already read the news. That's why he didn't say a thing when we met up here at the park. I was panting from jogging, he is too. I just nodded my head after drinking water.

 

“I did too.” I said. 

 

My dongsaeng turned to me, “Any plans?”

 

“I’ll gate crash their wedding. I’ll escape from the army and ruin their wedding. I’ll run with Hyun and never come back to Seoul.” I said. Then I looked at my dongsaeng and saw that he was flustered. I hit him with my elbow and smirked, "I was joking. Of course I won't do that."

 

He laughed a little. And even when we’re trying to ease the atmosphere, I know that Jonghyun notices that I don’t feel good about it. He placed his hand on my shoulder and squeezed it to comfort me, "Hyung..." he mumbled as he tried to smile.

 

“She’s probably married already even before we get to be released from the army.” I said.

 

Jonghyung sighed. “This question is so dumb, but let me ask you still. How do you feel Hyung?”

 

I drink water again and answered, “When I was struggling in the army, thoughts of her helped me to survive Jonghyun-ah. I look at her picture every single morning and every single night for me to be reminded that there's someone out there worth living for.” 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter