Chapter 29

I Said I Love You
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

CHAPTER 29: I GUESS HE LIKES YONGGUK

 

MAGNIFICIENT. Daehyun could not take his eyes off a certain someone as his lips unconsciously curled up into a contented smile. He liked to watch how occupied Jongup was with his family. They were currently at the Jung family’s mansion as they hosted a BBQ party that day. They were in the middle of summer and it was like an annual occasion to have a BBQ party at one of the Kims. This year was Jaejoong’s turn and all was invited. Only Taehyung was not there, which make Daehyun smile all day long.

 

“Yah, the meat is going to burn!” Himchan exclaimed as he elbowed Daehyun. The latter was brought back to reality and quickly picked all cooked steak tips from the grill to a plate. He silently cursed under his breath when some parts of the meat were heartlessly burned. Himchan laughed while shaking his head. He was assigned to grill corn on the cob which he believed was much easier than Daehyun’s. Afterall, Daehyun was better at grilling meat.

 

“What are you looking at, Daehyun? Are you afraid he is going to disappear?” Himchan teased his cousin. He had been watching Daehyun silently and he knew the latter was looking at Jongup since then. He exchanged a meaningful look with Kyungsoo who had been silently preparing different types of salads at the next table.

 

“Wh-what? No! I wasn’t looking at Jongup.” Daehyun denied, unaware of the fact that his ears already turned red out of embarrassment for getting caught redhanded. Himchan and Kyungsoo guffawed as they witnessed how flustered Daehyun was.

 

“I didn’t even mention Uppie’s name, Dae.”

 

“.”

 

The older team laughed again. Daehyun ignored them and pretended to be busy with his grilling task.

 

“What’s so funny, Channie?” Youngjae came with a glass of fruit punch. He gave it to Himchan who gladly accepted it and thanked his wife. Youngjae instinctively reached for a napkin on the table and gently wiped the sweat that was forming on his husband’s face. The older expressed his gratitude and love by pulling Youngjae closer and cradling him into his side.

                                                                                                             

“Nothing much.” Himchan replied before pecking Youngjae’s lips.

 

“Is everything alright?” Yunho came out of nowhere. He was previously talking to Sunggyu and Kibum before deciding to get himself a bowl of pasta salad. Sunggyu had taken a day off that day and they were discussing about Kibum’s intention to build more hotels in and out of Korea.

 

“Yes, as for now.” Daehyun retorted before turning the chickens and hot dogs on the grill.

 

“Young Master Youngjae…” said person and the people around him turned their head in unison. A maid was carrying a sleepy Junhong who had just waken up from his nap and was asking for his mother. Upon seeing his mother, the baby whined slightly and did some grabby hands, silently asking for Youngjae to cradle him instead. Himchan cooed at his spoiled son when Youngjae took him and the baby instantly rested his head at the crook of his mother’s neck.

 

“Ait, look at this spoiled baby…” Himchan teased as he poked Junhong on his side.

 

“Himchan, go help Youngjae prepare for Junnie’s food. I’ll take over your part.” Yunho instructed and Himchan thanked the elder before guiding his wife to the buffet table. Daehyun looked around and realized there was only his father and he at the barbecue grill at the moment. Kyungsoo already left the table, a tray of salad-filled bowls was in his hand as he made his way to dining table. Daehyun eyed his dad who was immersing himself in putting vegetable skewers on the grill. Taking a deep breath in, he opened his mouth to speak. This is the right time, I suppose.

 

“D-Dad…” Daehyun gritted his teeth for stuttering. He was really nervous, he admitted that. Yunho briefly lifted his head up to look at Daehyun before focusing back on the skewers. The son nervously swallowed the lump in his throat. He just did not know how to start!

 

“Actually…I’ve something to tell you.”

 

“What is it about?” Yunho inquired. Though he was the chairman of Jung Group, he preferred not to talk about business at home. Home was actually a place for them to spend time with family. If possible, no business-related matter was mentioned when they were at home. Yunho did not really like to mix personal and business matter and that fact was well-known by the other. That was what made Daehyun respect his father the most.

 

"I'm not sure if this is a pleasant matter or otherwise..." A heavy sigh escaped from Daehyun's parted lips. Yunho smiled a reassuring smile as he looked up, encouraging his son to continue.

 

"Just spill it, son." Yunho placed the vegetable skewers on a plate and called out for Kyungsoo to take the plate to the dining table. Daehyun kissed his lips as he silently calmed his fast beating heart down. He was caught off guard when he saw Jongup was smiling his precious smile when he stealthy took a glance at the latter. The smile that could take his breath away - the smile that finally reached the boy's beautiful monolid eyes. And that was the moment that encouraged Jung Daehyun to finally spill everything.

 

"I...I like someone. No, I mean...I love this person." It came out smooth despite the fact that he stuttered at the beginning, much to Daehyun's relief. Yunho wore an amused facial expression. He even stopped what he was doing and gave his full attention to his son now. The elder crossed his arms over his chest and spoke.

 

"Really? That's great to hear. Now what? You've finally decided to settle down? That's a pleasant matter, Dae." The father stated matter-of-factly.

 

"Yeah, but I'm afraid that you or mom wouldn't like the person who I'm in love with to be your son in-law." 

 

"Is that person Jongup?" Daehyun had never thought he would be shot by that unexpected question. His heart even skipped a beat as the name was mentioned. Oh, Jongup just did not know what he had been doing to the heartless Jung Daehyun.

 

"Wh-How did you know, dad?" He was perplexed. As far as he remembered, he did not tell his parents about his feelings for Jongup and he believed his grandmother Heechul and older brother Baekhyun would never tell them too! They were good at keeping secrets for crying out loud.

 

Yunho heartily laughed when he saw Daehyun's surprise facial expression.

 

"Parents' instinct. Well, mothers' instinct if we were to be more accurate. Plus, it's written all over your face, Dae. The way you look at him, the way you care for him. Even I could see the changes in you before and after he came into our life. Only blind people can't see your love for him in your eyes." Daehyun's lips curled up into a small smile upon hearing the choice of words his father said to him that resembled Heechul's. Now that his true feelings were unknowingly learned by everyone but Jongup, he felt embarrassed for being transparent.

 

"And the best part is..." Yunho purposely stopped mid-sentence before leaning in to whisper in Daehyun's ear.

 

"I've never heard an employer accompanies his maid to all prenatal check-up appointments and yoga classes...so willingly and happily. You're the first to claim that it's your responsibility. Now, didn't it sound funny to you?" Daehyun could only mentally facepalm himself. He could never win Jung Yunho.

 

"Well, it did sound funny when you mentioned it out loud, dad." The young Jung sheepishly grinned while scratching his nape innocently. Those reactions alone brought another laughter from the happy father.

 

"I see you're totally smitten by that Moon Jongup, aren't you?" And the young Jung chuckled before nodding his head.

 

"So, you're okay with this?" Though Daehyun was honestly relieved that Yunho could easily accept his choice of future wife, but deep inside, he was still worried about this whole thing. What if the announcement of his marriage to the whole world hurt Jongup? What if the boy's true identity effected the stock price? What if the investors withdrew their investment in the Jung Group? Corporates and businesses could be ugly sometimes. Was Daehyun thinking too much? No, he was being realistic.

 

"Of course, son. What did you expect? That I'd be mad at you and ask you to stop having feelings for him?"

 

"Well, he's not...uh..."

 

"Did I raise you to have that kind of thoughts in your mind, Jung Daehyun?" And the young Jung hung his head low while quietly listening to his father's words. When Yunho called someone in his full name, it meant that he was dead serious and Daehyun felt like taking back his words. Yunho let out a sigh.

 

“If you truly love him, son…anything around, everything in the past doesn’t even matter anymore.” The father’s hand reached for the young Jung’s shoulder and squeezed it lightly. Daehyun looked up and searched for Yunho’s reassuring eyes.

 

“Really, dad?”

 

“Absolutely, Dae. Just go and steal his heart. We’ll just go with the flow later.” Being the very understanding father in the world, Yunho gave his son his best warm smile.

 

“Thanks, dad.” Said person patted a few times on Daehyun’s shoulder before voicing out his curiosity.

 

“When are you planning to confess to him? He seems dense to notice your feelings towards him.” Daehyun kissed his lips before letting out a sigh.

 

“I guess he’s still in the phase of moving on. I’m afraid if I confessed now, he’d reject me immediately. I know it’s painful when you’re cheated on. It’s hard to trust people who say they love us after we are hurt.” Daehyun said matter-of-factly. He threw the tongs he was holding and grabbed a hot dog before shoving it into his mouth.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter