The Beach (Part 1)

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Being in the hospital is more fun, Tiffany mindlessly scribbles in her notebook a picture of her wedding dress for some unexplainable reason. The hospital was more fun for her, and she recognizes how mess up that sounds considering it’s a hospital, but the hospital had friendly nurses, handsome doctors, generous elderly patients, and the food was not bad like she initially thought. Whereas the school had stuck-up teachers, gossip-lovers as classmates, and lets not forget to mention the revolting cafeteria food. At least her brother woke up and was recently discharged. That’s something that brought up her spirits.

 

Jessica is slumped over her seat. The girl is sleeping, a habit she she developed since middle school, and has not disappeared during high school. In addition to “Ice Princess”, Jessica earned the nickname…

 

“Hey there Sleeping Beauty!” a classmate jokingly shouts at Jessica while everyone packs up for lunch.

 

Jessica aims a crumpled piece of paper at the guy’s head. “Shut up, Kim Jonghyun!” She smirks, satisfied that she riled up Jonghyun.

 

“You’re gonna get it, Jung Jessica!” Jessica sprints out of the classroom; Jonghyun on her trail. Tiffany snickers at Jessica’s and Jonghyun’s immature behaviors. “Yah, Jung and Kim, don’t be so immature!” she giggles. The eye smile on Tiffany’s face soon vanishes upon noticing Donghae standing outside the classroom, a forlorn expression on his face as he is also a bystander to the immature behavior.

 

Seeing Donghae aches Tiffany’s heart. For the past few days, Tiffany’s been texting Yonghwa, encouraging him to admit his wrongdoings to Jessica. Sadly, the boy is too weak and apprehensive. While Tiffany waits for Yonghwa to man up, she has to watch Donghae persistently fix the situation with Jessica through coffee, flowers, and expensive gifts each morning. Responding to Donghae’s efforts, Jessica is acting very cold and distancing herself from Donghae, saddening the dear boy.

 

Tiffany grabs the lunch Yunho made her after Donghae leaves with his best friend Eunhyuk. Another piece of good news: Changmin and her are not living in the apartment anymore. Instead they’re living in Yunho’s house for the meantime.

 

“Why, hello there, Tiff,” Nichkhun beams. “Do you want me to carry your books?” Even though her best friends are having trouble in the love department, Tiffany is doing quite fine with Nichkhun, despite knowing it’s nothing else but a game. Nichkhun takes her books without her approval and accompanies her to the usual table.

 

Tiffany studies Nichkhun as he guides her. Even when they were young, Nichkhun always took great care of her and anyone at that matter. All of the girls at school would gush over how well they were treated by Nichkhun in group projects, hangouts, and study sessions. Tiffany would definitely love to have Nichkhun as her boyfriend. She wonders what kind of girl is his ideal type. Does he like the sweet and gentle type like Yonghwa’s friend Seohyun? Or does he prefer the y and provocative type like Hyuna from the dance club? Or the bubbly and comedic type like Minah from the choir club? Maybe the strong headed and confident type like Jessica? Oh my. What if Nichkhun’s type is Jessica? Tiffany peeks at Nichkhun. Jessica and Nichkhun. Nichkhun and Jessica. KhunSica. Not bad, not bad. The visual is not that bad as well. Tiffany supposes they would make a lovely couple and they’re both people she deeply cares about. So why is she sad?

 

Nichkhun is maintaining a calm look. A bit difficult for guys from every corner are wolf whistling at the oblivious and lost in thought Tiffany. But he cannot get mad because he isn’t Tiffany’s boyfriend. So why does he have the urge to eradicate each whistling boy from existence?

 

“Hey guys.” Tiffany and Nichkhun sit on the same table bench, opposite the side of a disapproving Taeyeon and a timid Yonghwa.

 

“What is he doing here?” Taeyeon glares at Nichkhun and hopes it would chase him away.

 

“Nichkhun is my … friend.” The last part hurts Tiffany because she wish Nichkhun and her could be more than friends. Same with Nichkhun.

 

“Hi, I’m Nichkhun. You must be Kim Taeyeon, the angelic voice of the choir club, and Jung Yonghwa, one of the lead vocalists of the band club.”

 

“Let’s not forget, Yonghwa oppa is also part of the academic club meaning he’s smart. Being smart means he knows the right from the wrong, and if he chose to do the wrong then he’s smart enough to realize what he needs to do to fix the wrong.” Taeyeon and Nichkhun looks at Tiffany weirdly, whereas, Yonghwa avoids Tiffany’s intense staring. Tiffany realizes she must have sound crazy but she needed to get her point across to Yonghwa. The said boy nervously drinks his coca-cola while looking away from the group. Tiffany sighs as she realizes the failure of her plan.

 

Jessica arrives. She looks much happier than she’s been since the breakup. Tiffany is glad to see the return of her old best friend, yet anxious to know why. Did she get a new boyfriend already? “Why do you look so happy, Sica?” she dares to ask.

 

Jessica looks delighted as she shares her latest news. “I’m going to the beach with Kim Jonghyun this weekend!”

 

“What?!” screams the whole group.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter