Coming Clean

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Nichkhun opens the door for Tiffany like a true gentleman. He senses she’s stressing out, however, he doesn’t blame her. He, too, is a bundle of nerves that wants to scream and run out of the situation, forever regretting inviting her to meet his family - more specifically, his mother and sister. His father is working overseas at the moment. Nichkhun has no idea as to why he told Tiffany that she must meet his family. Something in him just took over and gave him the courage to say those words that will scare anyone: Meeting my parents. Oh, how these words hold so much fear and terror. No one can truly understand the power of these words until they are faced with the same situation themselves.

 

Tiffany is visibly seen to release a long sigh, causing Nichkhun to want to do the same, but he holds it in to be more manly and lessen Tiffany’s nerves. He whispers in her ear, “They’ll love you,” but these words make no sense. Why would Nichkhun’s family love Tiffany when they are not dating? There is no reason. Yet, Nichkhun really hopes, deep down, that his family will adore Tiffany … like he does.

 

They enter the mansion, and their first sight is Nichkhun’s mother sitting in a throne like chair and his sister standing slightly behind, wearing a traditional Chinese dress. The scene terrifies Tiffany to consider running away.

 

“Hello, Tiffany,” Nichkhun’s mother, Yenjit, speaks with an air of royalty and authority, similar to the queens Tiffany sees in Korean dramas. “Why, come here and greet your future mother-in-law.”

 

“Umma,” Nichkhun whines.

 

“Quiet, Nichkhun,” commands Yenjit. “Come hug me, Tiffany.” Fearing of what will happen if she does not, Tiffany takes slow strides towards Yenjit and hesitantly hugs her; whereas, Yenjit aggressively pulls in Tiffany for the hug. Yenjit pats Tiffany’s back while saying, “Glad that Nichkhun found a potential wife.”

 

“Umma!” whine Victoria and Nichkhun.

 

“Quiet, children! Don’t embarrass yourselves in front of our guest!” Yenjit stands and clasps Tiffany’s hands in hers, telling her to follow the family into the dining room where a feast has been prepared for Tiffany.

 

Nichkhun walks next to Tiffany and speaks softly in her ear, “Sorry about my mom. She can be a crazy woman.” And Tiffany chuckles.

 

The dinner is going well to the pleasure of Nichkhun. Mainly his mother was in control of the conversation, asking Tiffany questions here and there.

 

“What do you want to do after high school?” Yenjit asks as she cuts into her juicy medium-rare steak.

 

Tiffany takes a break from savoring her own steak, a delicacy she was unable to enjoy before, due to her family’s poor financial state and beef being highly expensive in Korea. “Hmm … I’ve dreamt of becoming a doctor.” A lie. “My brother was in the hospital because of an accident, and it made me want to become a doctor.” There is some truth but mostly lies.

 

“A doctor,” Yenjit raises her wine glass at the career choice. “You must be an intelligent, hardworking student.” Tiffany nods despite that being a lie as well. She was never good in school, reasons varying from ditching class, not studying, and not caring. At this point, a doctor is too far of a stretch for Tiffany.

 

Dang, is there no trust in this weird relationship?

 

Yunho’s words surface in Tiffany’s mind. Goodness, gracious! Tiffany has been spewing too many lies. She is starting to feel guilty since Nichkhun and his family have been so good to her so far, yet she keeps lying. The conscience within her is instructing her to come clean and be honest. She shall, at some point, but for now she will continue to smile, hiding her true feelings.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter