Decisions

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jessica is walking home alone after visiting Yonghwa in the hospital, clutching her pink, small bag. Today was his last full day, and tomorrow, he’s being discharged and going home. Next week, he’ll be attending school again with a broken leg and crutches. It being Yonghwa’s last day, almost everyone he knew was in his room. From his family to bandmates to schoolmates. Even hospital patients drop by the room to bid him goodbye. Amid the crowded people, there was a certain person that caught her eye.

 

“Her name is Park Sojin,” Jungshin, the bassist of Yonghwa’s band, told her. “A mechanical engineer student in college. She started volunteering here a few weeks ago.”

 

From the way Sojin feeds Yonghwa soup, combs his hair through her fingers, and wipes away his sweat, Jessica knows that something beautiful will occur between the two. Jessica can tell that Sojin is nothing like her. Sojin looks more fragile, yet less innocent than Jessica, and Sojin holds this childlike nature to her despite being older. Sojin isn’t like Jessica, and maybe, just maybe, that’s what Yonghwa needs.

 

Jessica comes to a cross road and waits for the light to turn red and the sign allowing for pedestrians to walk. When she does cross, her mind is already occupied by the thoughts of her friend Tiffany and Taeyeon. Right after Jessica and Tiffany came out the closet, they bumped into Taeyeon. Pushing the two to talk,, Jessica left to give them privacy and now wonders how their conversation is going or if it has ended. She is so lost in thought that she didn’t notice a boy running up behind her and grabbing her bag.

 

“Yah!” Jessica screams before chasing down the boy. “Someone stop him!” Someone hears her scream for help and comes to her rescue, grabbing the boy and holding onto him. Jessica catches up. She hits the boy with the bag that he tried to steal. “Thank you so much,” she says to her hero while wiping her forehead. “How could I ever thank … you …. Donghae.”

 

Donghae scratches the back of his neck. “It was no problem. You shouldn’t have been by yourself though. Things have been getting dangerous around here lately.” Jessica nods. “I should you home. Just to make sure you’re safe.”

 

Jessica hugs herself. She wants to escape from Donghae’s staring. It feels nice to be under his stare, reminds Jessica of the old days when everything was simple for them. They were in love. Nothing could break them apart. Apparently, she was wrong about the last part. Even though she has forgiven both Yonghwa and Donghae, she decided a long time ago that she wouldn’t get back together with Donghae now that she’s with Jonghyun. Her relationship with Jonghyun is going really well. Last week, Jonghyun surprised her at her soccer practice with a bouquet of roses. They went to the beach recently and Jonghyun planned a luncheon on the pier. Things are going really well for them. Yet, there’s times when it doesn’t feel right. Shaking the thoughts out of her head, Jessica bows and thanks Donghae for his kindness but she says she’ll be fine. She’s strong, she tells him.

 

Donghae eyes her retreating figure as the ache in his heart throbs.

 

 

“What do you mean Victoria put you up to this?” Tiffany screams.  She’s pacing back and forth in her room. Taeyeon is sitting cross legged on the bed, looking away from Tiffany, and feeling ashamed for what she has done. Tiffany, also not looking at the other girl, can feel the chain of trust break in half and thrown away. “Tae, everyone has a choice. Everyone has free will. You chose to use your free will to help Victoria.”

 

“I know and I feel so bad about it. I understand if you don’t want to be friends.”

 

“Yeah,” Tiffany weakly agrees. “It would be better if we weren’t friends.”

 

Taeyeon keeps mum. She does not tell Tiffany how Victoria blackmailed her or used her previous girlfriend Sunny against her. None of these were brought up, because Taeyeon knew she was weak when she agreed to help Victoria. She should have been stronger. There will come a day when her parents will have to learn about her ual preference; and she’ll have to be strong when that day comes. If only she had realized this sooner. The damage has been done though.

 

Later that night, Tiffany goes to the living room for a glass of water. She’s about to enter the kitchen when she notices Changmin and Yunho already occupying it. They’re whispering in hush voices. Seems like they’re arguing. Then, their voice get louder, especially Yunho’s. Changmin looks like he’s done with the conversation and wants to leave, but the iron grip Yunho has on him holds Changmin in place.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter