The Past is the Past

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter Sixteen: The Past is the Past

Yonghwa puts his guitar back into its case. His band, CNBlue, just finished another performance at the pizza parlor down the street from his house. He slips on his leather jacket, something he bought with the money he earned from band performances, and leaves the pizza parlor, embracing the cold weather, after saying goodbye to his band members, Minhyuk, Jungshin, and Jonghyun. Jonghyun. Not Jessica’s Jonghyun. But another Jonghyun. At first, Yonghwa could not stand being near CNBlue Jonghyun since the name brought back many regretful memories. Now, however, Yonghwa grew up and accepted the past as the past. He plans on apologizing to his former best friend - and former love.

 

Oh, yes. Former love.

 

Being separated apart gave him the chance to reflect upon life. As time went by, which was mainly spent on the band,  he sort of fell out of love with Jessica. He realized that they could never be anything more than brother and sister given their close friendship. He’s upset that it took him a long time for the realization to kick him in the head, but what was done has been done. For now, he’s trying to move on, hoping he’ll get a chance to apologize. He crosses the street, mind adrift from reality, and does notice the changing lights.

 

Car honks.

 

Ambulance sirens.

 

 

Jessica rushes into the hospital, a crazy look in her eyes, as she searches for a particular person. A person that has not escaped her mind for the past few weeks. “Hi,” she says to the receptionist lady, “what room is Jung Yonghwa staying in?” The lady informs her of the room number and Jessica is off once more. She reaches the room and sees Tiffany sitting outside on the floor.

 

“Hey,” Tiffany shyly greets her. This is their first interaction in what feels like forever.

 

There are no greetings said out loud. However, being friends for many years, they are able to convey the sincere greetings through their hearts and feel it. In comfortable silence, they wait for the doctor, who emerges from the room not a moment too soon. With sweaty palms, the two girls stand up, awaiting anxiously for the doctor’s update on their dear childhood friend.

 

“Mr. Jung Yonghwa suffered a broken leg on the right side and is currently in a coma,” the doctor informs them. At the mention of coma, each girl can feel a tear at the brim of their eyes. The doctor smiles to reassure them, “He’ll wake up at some point. Don’t worry. He isn’t going anywhere.”

 

“When he wakes up,” Jessica slowly says, “will he remember us or will he have amnesia like in those movies and dramas.”

 

“We checked his brain and noted that he’ll most likely will not have amnesia.”

 

Jessica is not sure if she should be happy or sad that Yonghwa doesn’t have amnesia. On one hand, having amnesia would mean forgetting about the incident and them being able to continue on as friends. Then again, amnesia could mean Yonghwa not remembering them, and she having to carry this secret on her heart by herself.

 

The girls bow as the doctor leaves before rushing into the room to find a calm looking Yonghwa on the bed. Jessica begins to break down into a pile of tears. She shakily approaches Yonghwa and touches his hand. It’s cold. She touches his cheeks. It’s also cold. She collapses in the seat situated next to the bed and cries at Yonghwa’s side. “Don’t you freaking leave me, Jung Yonghwa,” Jessica mutters. “You may be an idiot but I don’t want you dead. Not at all. I’ll miss you too much.” Tiffany stays by the door, allowing Jessica to have her moment with Yonghwa. She’ll get her chance to cry next to Yonghwa.

 

Tiffany’s phone buzzes, erupting the tensed and gloomy mood in the room, and it’s a text from Nichkhun.

 

Nichkhun: I heard about Yonghwa through Weibo. Are you okay?

Tiffany: Yeah. I’m with Jessica right now. Visiting Yonghwa.

Nichkhun: Send me update

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter