The Door to Her Heart

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Everyone's mouths drop at Donghae’s appearance and the possibility that he knows what has happened to their dear Jessica. Sure, some are enthusiastic to see him, mainly the store employees, while others not so much. The others being Jessica’s closet family and friends knowing their history and are either anxious or not pleased to see him. The one who is the most unpleased is Tiffany who suddenly remembers that Jessica's head started to hurt when she mentioned their date. In a fit of rage, Tiffany charges at Donghae and slaps his chest, screaming for him to tell them what the hell he did to Jessica. While the others are in a state of shock and confusion, Changmin and Yonghwa pull Tiffany away from e unmoving Donghae. Tiffany is crying as she screams at the soccer player to tell the truth. Behind Donghae, Nichkhun watches on, aware of the truth that was revealed to him on the car ride to the hospital. He doesn't say a word as he had promised Donghae.

 

"What did you do?!" Tiffany tries to fight her way out of Yonghwa's and Changmin's holds, but to no avail.

 

"I did nothing," Donghae calmly responds, putting his hands in his pockets. "But..."

 

"But what?" Tiffany urges him on, squinting his eyes. "Did you take advantage of her?" Turning to the others, she screams, "This man - "

 

"Tiffany, you gotta be quiet," Yonghwa whispers, "People can hear you, and you wouldn't want to destroy Donghae's career." Tiffany turns to Yonghwa to tell - no, yell at him that Donghae could have possibly harmed Jessica; but she sees in his eyes that he believes Donghae did nothing wrong, and also notices the pleading in his sorrowful expression, probably remembering the time Tiffany shattered his career with revealing the truth to Siwon. So, Tiffany bites her tongue, for Yonghwa though, and calms down enough to let herself be led back to her seat.

 

Donghae chews on the inside of his cheek, trying to find the right words, so that he does not fuel Tiffany's rage even further. He doesn't know if this is the right time or if he should even disclose such information without Jessica's consent. Donghae notices Krystal going to Changmin's side and touches his shoulder, looking for comfort as she deals with her sister's tragic condition. Seeing Krystal after many years, for Donghae, reminds him that these people, who love Jessica, are entitled to the truth, and that Jessica, when she gets out, won't be able to tell the truth without inflicting self harm. It's up to him to tell the truth.

 

"I invited her to the Gangnam Style Bar. On the night of our ... date ... I supposed ..... I was running late because of soccer practice. And when I got to the bar, I heard some sort of commotion from the alleyway. I looked, and it was Siwon and Jessica." Tiffany, who was originally looking down at the floor, gazes up at the mention of her boyfriend's name, anticipating the next words. "Siwon held her up by the neck and pushed her into the brick wall. He was about to kill her if I didn't intervene."

 

The atmosphere among the group tenses immensely and goes incredibly silent until Yonghwa, who's been trying to remain calm, loses it and screams, like he did in CNBlue's debut video, and stalks off; Minhyuk chases after his leader.

 

"Why didn't you report anything to the police," Shinhye asks, eyeing the singer as he walks off.

 

"I did," Donghae says. "The Choi family is very influential and wealthy, though. The cops informed me that all charges were dropped, and no broadcasting station wanted to air the news since it would going against the family."

 

"Spoiled, rich kid," Krystal mutters under her breath.

 

"Well," the doctor coughs, "if that's the case, then we are keeping Jessica in the hospital as she receives psychological help."

 

 

For the next few days, after Jessica wakes up from her one-day sleep, she's been attending therapeutic help classes at the hospital. When she isn't in class, she'll be in her room along with at least one guest. Krystal, Changmin, and Nichkhun would visit every day after Krystal gets off from school. Gyuri tagged along twice. Both times she brought a fresh vase of pink roses - one of Jessica's favorite flowers. Yonghwa and Minhyuk could only stay for the day after Jessica woke up, and then they had to return to their schedules since they took off without prior consent from their agency. On Friday and Saturday, the store employees visited after their work shifts. When Jessica asked them why they didn't go to Panda Inn that Saturday night, they told her that she was more important than a meal. Jessica made a note to treat them some other time.

 

News shortly and widely spread that new and popular designer Jung Jessica is in the hospital. Kim Jonghyun came to the hospital on Sunday with his fiancée in tow. More of Jessica's old schoolmates took the time and visited. Former co-workers sent in flowers. Even Kim Taeyeon, whom Jessica has not heard from in years, sent a get-well wreath. More surprisingly, Jung Yunho messages to send in his condolences and would be coming to Seoul for her.

 

The only two people who have yet to visit Jessica is Donghae and Tiffany.

 

Afraid that his presence would bring back terrible memories, Donghae was advised to stay away, to the dismay of the young man, by Jessica's doctors. Before he left, he told Nichkhun, "If this was still high school, I would have asked Yonghwa to take care of Jessica. Despite what Yonghwa did to me, I still trust him as the guy closest to Jessica. Sadly, we’re no longer in high school, and things changed, we changed, and now I'm asking you to look after Jessica. Please. Do this for me as a friend."

 

... but we are no longer in high school, and things changed, we changed ...

 

We are no longer in high school.

 

A sad truth of reality.

 

Never in Nichkhun’s life has he noticed the changes that have occurred around him. Especially to the people he cares most about. Stepping away from the hospital, with a heavy heart, Nichkhun resorts to drinking his problems away.

 

Returning home that night, Nichkhun notes that the suite's lights are off. The maids have gone home. What he does hear are the weeping sounds coming from inside Jessica's bed room. Leisurely, he approaches the room and then enters, a plate of leftover sausages in one hand and a glass of water in the other, intending to give them as a late night meal to the sobbing girl. She hasn't stopped crying since she learned the truth, and who could blame her?

 

Tenderly placing a hand on her shaking shoulder, Nichkhun steadies himself and plops next to her, setting the meal in front of her. "I know you haven't eaten anything yet," he says, pushing the food closer to her.

 

Tiffany nods in acknowledgement, however, she does not take a single bite.

 

For the rest of the night, Nichkhun stays by her side until she falls asleep on his lip.

 

 

Nichkhun told Krystal that, if she has nothing nice to say, then don't say anything, but that only really applies to Tiffany.

 

Entering the kitchen, pale as a ghost, Tiffany makes her grand re-entrance into the world, marking the end to her refuge in the room. Rolling her eyes, Krystal is honestly getting tired of her unnie’s moping behavior, and don’t get her wrong, folks, she feels bad for what happened to Tiffany. Nonetheless, Krystal feels that, if you’ve been wronged by someone, then you should confront that person. But what does she know. According to the adults, she’s just an immature kid who does not understand life.

 

“Tiffany,” Nichkhun coos. He’s wearing the “Kiss-the-Chef” apron that Jessica’s friend, Dara, bought for her birthday as a joke because, back then, Jessica didn’t even know how to boil water. “I’m making kimchi pancakes. You want some?’

 

Barely whispering, she says, “Aniyo, but thanks.” She slumps down, feeling like there is no reason to live, and why would there be. Her boyfriend - soon to be ex - turns out to be a dud instead of a prince, her best friend is in the hospital, the third among the people she cares deeply about (first Changmin, then Yonghwa, and now Jessica), and Tiffany st

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter