Avoiding the Truth

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

*Ring, Ring*

 

A girl is woken up by her loud cellphone. Without leaving the comfort of her bed, her hands fumbles around, looking for her phone so that she could shut it up.

 

"Hello," she says in a groggy voice.

 

"Sica! You have to help me buy a new dress!"

 

"What for?"

 

"I'm meeting Nichkhun's parents tonight!'

 

 

"So wait, Nichkhun told you - YOU JERK!" Jessica honks at the careless driver besides her car. The two girls are going to the mall in Jessica's car, and Tiffany soon learns that her best friend is not as good of a driver as she thought. "Sorry, Tiff. Anyways, he told you out of the blue that you're meeting with his parents?"

 

"Yes, Jess - WATCH OUT!" They jerk forward as Jessica slams on the brakes to avoid a collision.

 

“Watch where you are going, you idiot!” Honks fire back and forth between Jessica and the careless driver. “Aish, that driver needs to beware of other drivers.”

 

“I never knew you were such a bad driver, Sica.”

 

“Neither did I,” she veers to the right and drives into the mall parking lot. “I didn’t drive that much when I was with … Donghae. He drove me everywhere.” She swifty grabs her bag from the back, wanting to change subjects, and glances at Tiffany before getting out of the car. “Come on, lets get to shopping.”

 

 

“How about these?” Tiffany pulls out two dresses directly from the racks. “They are the cheapest dresses in the store.”

 

Jessica’s eyebrows crease and lips pucker at Tiffany’s choices. She takes both dresses and throws them in a pile for rejects. “Too high school homecoming. Needs something with more wow factor.” She shuffles through the racks of clothings.

 

“Sica, I don’t have money to purchase an expensive dress.”

 

“Which is why I am paying,” Jessica counters, surprising Tiffany who wants to speak but shuts up after Jessica’s famous cold glare. “I’m paying,” she repeats, “and that’s final. Buy whatever dress you want. I don’t care how much the dress is, actually, the dress better cost more than 100,000 won.”

 

“Sica, your family-”

 

“I know my family isn’t rich, perse, but I have a lot of savings since Donghae used to pay for everything.”

 

Tiffany raises an eyebrow, “For everything? Did you make him pay, Sica?”

 

“Of course not! Donghwa was a good boyfriend, up until he cheated on me, of course; and he paid out of the good of his heart-”

 

“And because he loved you,” Tiffany states as a matter of fact. You know and I know, they love each other. It won’t be long til they realize they belong together. Nichkhun’s words might come true sooner than they thought. Jessica keeps talking about Donghae, despite her denials, and from what Tiffany heard, Donghae always has an eye on Jessica as a form of protection.

 

“This dress is perfect,” Jessica yanks a ugly, mustard colored dress in a hurry so that the conversation will move away from Donghae.  Tiffany scrutinizes the dress, and Jessica embarrassingly puts it away. “Maybe it isn’t perfect.”

 

 

Tiffany stands in front of the mirror. In the end, she and Jessica choose a white laced dress, a pick from Jessica.

 

Tiffany does not consider the dress to be her style - she wanted a pink dress - but Jessica assisted on this dress. White symbolizes purity and it’ll give Nichkhun’s family an impression of Tiffany as a good girl. So Tiffany went along and let Jessica purchase it while secretly promising to find a job and pay her back.

 

“Someone looks beautiful,” Tiffany faces away from the mirror and towards the door where her brother stands. “White, again? Didn’t you wear white on your first date with that boy?”

 

“Neh, oppa. Jessica picked this dress out for me.”

 

“Ah, that girl. I need to scold her for choosing a pretty white dress. It kinda feels like,” he tilts his head to the side as he admires the dress, “you’re begging to get married.”

 

“Oppa!” She throws the nearest object (her pink, fluffy, pillow) at her brother. “Don’t say things like that when I’m about to meet his family!” Oops. She was not suppose to say that at all. Her brother is shell shock and not moving. Tiffany freaks out. “Oppa?” She runs to her brother and shakes him while screaming, “Yunho oppa! Yunho oppa! Changmin oppa isn’t moving!”

 

“Geez, what did you do to to your brother?” Yunho carries Changmin and gently places the taller man on the couch. “He’s pale. As if he saw a ghost.”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter