Victoria

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Tiffany browses through the collection of classic books in the public library. How to Kill a Mockingbird. Moby . Romeo and Juliet. None of which interests Tiffany. The next time Yonghwa drags her to the bookstore Tiffany is going to create an obvious, big lie to make it appear as if she possesses a social life outside of the group.

 

While Yonghwa is interested in literature and the arts, Jessica prefers sports - she and Donghae actually bonded over their love for soccer - whereas, for Tiffany, she isn’t interested in anything particularly. Neither does she know what she wants to do in life. she would watch her friends improve their skills, compete in tournaments, and win achievement awards. So far, Tiffany has achieve nothing.

 

There aren’t many students around since it is the weekend, and most people prefer to either sleep in or hang out at the mall or movies. When Tiffany entered the library with Yonghwa, she saw about three other high school seniors, five senior citizens, a dad with his daughter, and three employees.

 

Tiffany envies Jessica. Not for looks or body or wealth. It was specifically the latter turning down Yonghwa’s offer to spend a day in the library, in favor of playing soccer with Donghae and his friends. Tiffany completely and utterly hates sports but she loves boys so she would choose soccer over the library any day now.

 

“Yonghwa, lets go home,” she slumps in the mahogany chair. Across from is Yonghwa, reading another classic literature book that Tiffany is not familiar with.

 

“Tiff,” Yonghwa fixes his black, rimmed glasses. Behind him are two girls, giggling at the sight of him, and Tiffany conjures this “genius” idea to set Yonghwa up with at least one of them. Or maybe both. Both sounds good in Tiffany’s mind. Option both will decrease the chances of Tiffany having to accompany Yonghwa again.

 

“Maybe I’ll go by myself next time.”

 

“Go with Taeyeon,” Tiffany suggests. The pencil she was balancing on her lip falls. “Reading is one of her hobbies, and I mean actual reading. She reads all those classic books you like. Actual books,” she places emphasis on those words, “not like the magazines Sica and I read.”

 

“I can’t ask her,” he tiredly rubs his neck. “To be honest, for a long time, Sica and I have this suspicion that Taeyeon doesn’t like us.”

 

“You guys are over thinking about this, man. Of course Taeyeon likes you guys. If she didn’t then why would she hang out with us.”

 

“Think about it, Tiff? Whenever we make plans to hang out, she agrees to come only if she knows you’re going. If you aren’t going then she isn’t going. Donghae,” Tiffany hears venom in Yonghwa’s voice at the name, “even hangs out with us more. Trust me, Tiff. She likes you and no one else.”

 

Tiffany mauls over this new info, trying to remember the times she hasn’t made it to their group hangs out but Taeyeon has, however, nothing came to mind.

 

“Hey Nichkhun!”

 

Tiffany snaps out of her thoughts. She looks at Yonghwa, silently asking him if he is joking, but his face says it all. Nichkhun is truly behind her.

 

“So Nichkhun,” Yonghwa gestures for for him to sit down next to Tiffany, who currently wants to kill Yonghwa, “How you doing on this fine afternoon? Wanted to feel the power of the library? Did you come to enrich your mind?”

 

Nichkhun warmly smiles at him, “My friend Junho was asked by a guy name Donghae,” Nichkhun swore he heard a growl from Yonghwa, “to play soccer and he forced me to come along. I saw Jessica and she told me Tiffany is here with you to check out books.”

 

“More like I was checking out books. I forced Tiffany to tag along like usual, but be my guest and take her away on your magical unicorn if you want,” Yonghwa bites down the ‘ow’ he wants to release after Tiffany kicks him in the shin. “Go ahead. Be my guest.” Those last words were a bit more like a plea from him.

 

“No need for that. I just wanted to ask Tiffany out for a date?” He expectedly looks at Tiffany for an answer.

 

“Me?” Tiffany confusedly points at herself.

 

“Is there another Tiffany around?”

 

Another kick to Yonghwa’s shin.

 

Nichkhun leans down, his mouth a few inches away from Tiffany’s ear. He softly whispers, “You shouldn’t hurt him. He might need to amputate that leg if you keep kicking him.” Tiffany can feel her cheeks burning up, her body blazing with so much embarrassment, and it didn’t help that Yonghwa is laughing at her. “Would you like to go on a date with me, bae?”

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter