Letting Go of the Best Thing

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At the age of six, Nichkhun met Tiffany.

    “Hi, my name is Nichkhun.”

    A six year old boy extends his little arm to the girl making castles in the red sandbox.

    “Hi! My name is Tiffany Hwang! Let’s be friends!”

    Their eye smiles matching one another.

 

At the age of ten, there was unaware development in the field of first love.

 

At the age of twelve, there was a drift.

 

At the age of fourteen, they - at last- attended the same high school.

 

At the age of eighteen, things didn’t get better at all.

 

But things turned around thanks to a game.

 

But it is time for the game to end.

 

Tiffany watches her favorite player on the soccer field. He’s dodging the other players, avoiding their tackles, and managing to score a goal. She jumps up and cheers him on. This will be your last. These words keep echoing in her head, though, she tries to push them out.

 

“Popcorn?” Yonghwa hands her a bag of popcorn. Along with the school year, soccer season is coming to a close with its final game. Tiffany is watching it on the bleachers with Yonghwa, Jessica, and Yonghwa’s bandmates. “Wow, that Doojoon guy is great at soccer. Look at the way he runs past his opponents.” Yonghwa watches in amazement. With time, Yonghwa’s leg had rapidly healed.

 

“My Jonghyun heard from Minho, who’s on the team as well, that Doojoon is next year’s captain,” Jessica says as she stuffs her face with a salty pretzel.

 

“He better be, man, because he’s amazing at soccer.” Yonghwa eats the last pieces of his popcorn before handing the left overs to Minhyuk, the band’s drummer, sitting behind him, and then shifts his attention to the girl on his left arm. “Are you okay, my darling?”

 

“Neh, my little turtle,” Sojin giggles. Well, what you know. Yonghwa manned up and asked Sojin out after his discharge. “When I was in high school,” and everyone groans because Sojin starts off the story the way their grandparents would, “I attended all of these sporting events, from basketball to soccer to even track and field. Being in college now, it’s a whole different story. I don’t have the time to watch competitions due to my workload.” When Soin’s done speaking, Yonghwa chuckles and flicks his new ‘darling’ on the nose before he kisses her on the neck inciting more giggles.

 

In mock horror, Jessica gags at the lovey dovey couple causing Tiffany to laugh.

 

“Don’t you gag at their ‘darling’ and ‘my little turtle’ when you and Jonghyun, a.k.a dino pup, are just the same,” jokes Tiffany. In return, Jessica sends her the meanest look she can muster, but in the end, she laughs along with the group, acknowledging the truth in Tiffany’s statement.

 

“Can we please forget about Jessica’s love life for once?” Jungshin interrupts. “Lets focus on our new couple. Who would have thought our little Yonghwa would snag an older woman,” Laughter erupts at Jungshin's joke, but in all honesty, no one expected Yonghwa to get an older girlfriend.

 

Originally, they thought Yonghwa was going to ask Seohyun - he did tell Jessica he would during her first hospital visit - but he changed his mind once he met Sojin. Oh, the way he asked her out was so romantic in Tiffany’s and Jessica’s mind, whereas, Yonghwa’s bandmates thought it was too cheesy. The group decided to eat at karaoke restaurant that just opened to celebrate Yonghwa's discharge, and they invited Sojin as a thank you for taking care of their dear injured friend. There, Yonghwa ran up to the stage, pulling Sojin with him, and requested “Love is an Open Door” from Frozen, because Sojin loves Frozen. At the end of the song, Yonghwa changed the words to “Will you be my girlfriend”, and lets just say, the plan worked.

 

“Sorry Sojin noona,” Jungshin bows, not ceasing to laugh.

 

"It's alright. So Tiffany," Sojin flips her long, wavy hair out of her face, appearing unaffected by Jungshin’s harmless teasing, "which one is your boyfriend?" The jolly good atmosphere breaks with the shift of attention onto he-who-should-not-be-named.

 

Jessica and Yonghwa open their mouths to speak on the behalf of Tiffany, understanding this is hard topic for her, but are left looking like fishes when Tiffany says, "He is the one wearing the number 0 on his jersey." Despite appearing calm on the outside, Tiffany is shaking on the inside. Today is the day she will end the game. A bit harsh to do it on a day that could possibly be a day of victory or loss; but Tiffany needs to stop their game before it proceeds any longer.

 

“Oh,” M

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter