The Start of the Game

Nothing But a Game
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

At the age of six, Nichkhun met Tiffany.

    

“Hi, my name is Nichkhun.”

 

A six year old boy extends his little arm to the girl making castles in the red sandbox.

 

“Hi! My name is Tiffany Hwang! Let’s be friends!”

 

Their eye smiles matching one another.

 

At the age of ten, there was unaware development in the field of first love.

In just one minute, Nichkhun will be able to leave what he knows as the “hell hole” (school) - his butlers surely taught him a lot - and escape to what he knows as absolute freedom (the park). The school bell rings and before Nichkhun’s friends even have time to bid the young lad a goodbye, Nichkhun is already out of the door, running towards his freedom, to the girl he desperately wants to see.

“Nichkhun!” He stops a couple of feet away from the sandbox, turns round, and sees Tiffany standing there in a pink, frilly dress and holding two colorful lollipops. “Which one do you want?” Her eye smile apparent.

Nichkhun felt like he could just fall in love with that eye smile. And he did.

At the age of twelve, there was a drift.

He begged and begged for his mom to take him to the park but she always told him no. That she’s busy. Or that she has a headache. Whatever the reason be the answer was always no. It came to a point where she couldn’t take it anymore and adopted a little Chinese girl, two years younger than Nichkhun, as some sort of companionship and playmate and substitute for the park for Nichkhun.

The girl - who goes by Victoria - smiles at him.

Nichkhun likes her smile but not as much as HER eye smile.

 

When Nichkhun finally brought his mother to her wits ends, he couldn’t find the lovely eye smile at the park. Neither did he find it the next day. And the next day. And the next day. And so on and so on. He realizes a few weeks later that his lovely eye smiling friend had vanished from his life.

 

At the age of fourteen, they - at last- attended the same high school.

From a mile away, there was a lovely lady in which Nichkhun recognized. One that he has not seen for two years. With bravery and hope on his side, he approached her at a slow pace, slow enough to pick up some more bravery and hope with each step. But then, a guy walked up to Tiffany and kissed her right on the lips. Tiffany sent the guy an eye smile.

The eye smile that was originally Nichkhun’s.

 

At the age of eighteen, things didn’t get better at all.

Throughout the duration of high school, Nichkhun was known as the prince. Everyone loves him for his kind, gentleman nature; whereas, Tiffany was known to fool around with a guy here and there. Nichkhun, who still considers Tiffany as a friend, would look after her from a distance to make sure she doesn’t get hurt. But she never does. Because she’s always the one doing the dumping, which oddly comforts Nichkhun because at least he knows she isn’t getting her heart broken.

“Dude, we should make a bet,” Taecyeon whispers to Wooyoung and Nichkhun during calculus class. They’re sitting in the back right corner of the classroom, farthest from the teacher’s desk. Nichkhun sits to the right of Taecyeon while Wooyoung sits in front of Nichkhun.

Wooyoung stuffs more chips into his face. Teacher’s rules prohibits students from eating in class, however, Wooyoung could give less than two cares about the teacher’s rules. He resorts to stuffing his face even more leaving crumbs on his face. So when girls walked past him, he gave them a disgusting smile full of potato chip crumbs that left the girls and Nichkhun and Taecyeon in huge fits of laughter. To remove the attention from him, Wooyoung asks, “What kind of bet are you talking about?”

 

With a devilish smile that Nichkhun finds scary yet idiotic - because Taecyeon saves that smile for his dumbest ideas - Taecyeon plants his sole attention on Tiffany Hwang. “Let’s see whose charm and seduction can work on her.”

 

Fear spikes the heart of Nichkhun. “What kind of bet is that?” he hisses at his friends. “A bet that humiliates and lowers a person’s dignity.” No way will Nichkhun allow such a cruel joke to happen to Tiffany. Actually, even if it wasn’t Tiffany, he wouldn’t let it happen to anyone. Period.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter