Chapter 9

Stranded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It just struck 0600 am but it was already busy at the little village. The students are walking round and about the area getting ready for breakfast before they would be let go for their day off from volunteering. They were given permission to explore the nearby connecting towns close by the village where they are staying at with a curfew of 0900pm. 

But, they were also told that tomorrow would be another day spent volunteering but will end earlier for they will go somewhere afterwards. Camping. The whole class will go camping until Saturday morning and will be back at the village before the sun sets so they will have enough rest for their trip back home on Sunday.

All the students groaned in disapproval upon hearing the word 'camping'. That was like the last thing in their mind-- to spend days and nights sleeping in tents in a place who knows where with nothing but their things and a bonfire.

Taeyeon ate in silence and in a hurry as she wanted to escape from the group as early as she could. Even in a place where she knows nothing about, her thoughts were about how great that no one will know who she is thus she could escape prying eyes. She thinks that finally she'd be able to get some peaceful time all to herself.

Tiffany, on the other hand, picked on her food as she listened to Sunny and Jessica keep on babbling on how excited they are to sneak out later tonight for the party they were invited to go to and that she is coming with them whether she wanted to or not. Partying is the last thing in her mind though. She'd rather go camping than be at a party with people who are strangers to her. Who knows what could happen to them while they're there right?

*****

[Taeyeon]

This was probably one of the rarest times that I was able to sleep without having any difficulties. But i am not sure what the reason that made me sleep well like a baby. The only thing that I could remember was how my body is aching from the work we've done that day, how the mattress feels good on my back and listening to my partner's soothing breaths and snores. 

Yes. Weird enough, I find the sound of her voice and even her breathing music to my ears. A unique one that is. 

Breakfast was uncomfortable and awkward as hell. I am just glad that I ate well despite being in a hurry. But, Tiffany who was seated across me seemed to be in deep thoughts. She wasn't eating and she's just picking and poking through her food. I wonder why. I just hope it isn't about me.

Wait. Duh. Why would she be bothered because of me? Why would she even think about me? "Kim Taeyeon, just who the hell do you think you are to her to even think that way?" I scolded myself in my mind. But, i can't seem to stop worrying about her.

I better just shrug this off and back off before getting myself into more trouble than I already am.

I left the village right after breakfast with my knapsack slung on my shoulders and my art material case in one hand. 

Ms. Cho told me to wait for everyone else as the bus would drop everyone off to which part of town they wanted to start their day at and such but i declined. I walked my way to the nearest town and explored by myself.

It didn't take too long for me to reach town. And upon my arrival, i can already see how everyone was hustling with their day's work. 

I kept walking as I look around for a perfect place to spend my day at without having to deal with a bunch of people. The town seems nice. Everyone appears to be friendly and hospitable. I like it. It... It makes me feel a bit warm inside. They were smiling at me instead of smirking or grinning or glaring. It was a nice change I think.

I bought couple apples and oranges on my way. Then, I saw a dock that is far from the busy streets of the town. And it is empty. Perfect.

I happily made my way over there and settled my knapsack and case right next to me as I sat, legs criss crossed and enjoyed the view of the calm water. 

After a while, I took my sketch pad out and started on working on a new piece. I have no idea what I actually am going to make as i just let my hand, mind-- possibly heart too-- to do the work.

I don't know how long i have been sitting here but it startedto get a bit hotter. Oh and I'm done. Finally.

Crap. What the hell did I just drew? A portrait of a smiling Tiffany? No way. This is bad.

I wanted to throw it just like my other ones but for some reason I can't. I sighed as i closed my pad and set it aside and let myself lay on my back on the dock and cover my eyes with an arm.

*****

[Tiffany]

I can't remember what happened after I crashed last night. I can't even remember when Taeyeon came in last night and now she is nowhere to be found when I woke up. Well, not really nowhere because I saw her sitting at the front steps of our cottage, spacing out, I think.

We were called for breakfast and like always I was dragged to sit in between Sunny and Jessica. I was hoping I could sit next to Taeyeon and maybe we could have a small talk or something today. But, i guess luck isn't on my side today.

Sigh. I woke up hungry but Iost my appetite when they started babbling about all these things I don't really care about. I am sitting across Taeyeon and I sneakily watch her as I continued to poke on my food. She seems to be in a hurry, her body looks tensed. It is obvious that she is uncomfortable sitting with everyone else.

I wish I could at least make her a bit comfortable, just like how we were that night by the lake. She seemed so relaxed and at peace that night. Her eyes were clear and I can't see no hints of struggling and sadness. Unlike now. 

I'm just glad that they left me alone after breakfast and after reminding me nonstop about the party tonight. Ugh. I'd rather go camping and enjoy nature than be at a party full of uncontrollable teenagers.

I walked to the lake, where I found Taeyeon, and stayed there for I forgot how long. It is probably a little after lunch time that I decided to go to the nearby town and see what is there to explore. It was quite a walk, not too far from the village but still it was some distance though i enjoyed it. It was kinda hot but the cool breeze feels good and refreshing too. 

The town seems busy, like they're preparing for something. It wasn't anything like the city but I like it. The people are really warm, always smiling and friendly. There are a lot of docks too. I just kept on walking, ignoring the heat of the sun and everything else around me. I just let my feet bring me where it wanted me to be at.

Okay. I thought I could ignore the heat for so long but I am mistaken. I decided to just rest at the next dock and maybe just wait for the sunset. Maybe, I could hide somewhere in here too so i can avoid them from dragging me to the party later.

"Taeyeon?" I mumbled to myself as i saw a figure lying at the dock. I walked closer and i was right. It is Taeyeon and she's sleeping. I can't believe she's sleeping out here carelessly like that. I mean the sum is blazing hot right now. Should i wake her up? Or not. 

Oh. I didn't know she likes to draw. Or maybe more than draw. That's a lot of art materials. Wow. I guess she's got some hidden talent. 

I took a sunscreen lotion out of my bag and put it next to her as I keep on debating with myself on whether I should wake her up or not and if i should stay or leave.

*****

[Taeyeon]

I felt someone trying to wake me up. Someone is gently shaking my shoulder and stuttering as she calls my name. I was about to scowl and probably raise my voice when I saw it was Tiffany. Right away, my heart started beating fast and the words that I am supposed to say were gone like the wind.

The way the sun shines on her, she definitely looks like an angel from heaven. Mesmerizing and beautiful. I thought i was dreaming that I let my eyes drink in more of her until she started to wave her hand in front of my face. I was shocked. It isn't a dream. Darn it. I felt my face turn red from embarrasment as I sat up quickly, avoiding her eyes.

"Are you okay?" She asked me.

I nodded as I try to straighten up myself. I can feel her eyes on me still and at that moment I feel like melting. And it is not helping that it is too hot right now as I feel myself sweating.

"I-I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bother you. I... Uhm, I just saw you here accidentally and erm...here, put this on before you get yourself burn from the heat. Sorry again. I'll get going." She stood up as she handed me the sunscreen lotion in her hand. 

I didn't want her to leave. I didn't ask her to either, right?

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter