Chapter 20

Stranded
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[Tiffany]

 

“What do I do? What do I do?” I closed my eyes and covered my face from the embarrassment. Great! Just great. How can I even face her now?

 

“Pani-ah, are you okay?” I felt her touching my shoulder. Aish. My face must have had all shades of red painted all over it. I couldn’t even get myself to talk so I just nodded.

 

“Are you sure?” She sat next to me. “Pani-ah, it’s okay you know?”

 

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to. I was… It was just-…” I mumbled through my hands that were still covering my face.

 

“I understand. I swear. Look, no need to be all shy and be like this.” I felt her hands covering my own and it sent a million tingling sensations all over my body. I wonder if she could feel it too.

 

She pulled my hands off of my face and tilted my head up by my chin gently. She was smiling at me. It was a very gentle and warm smile. “Help me fix our breakfast before I start working on that new little shelter?”

 

I could only nod. Where has my tongue gone? I don’t even know but this effect she has on me, I can’t even explain. She put a hand on my arm and helped me up. I followed her around like a chick to its mother hen.

 

We don’t have much food left and it’s been so long since we were stuck in here. I can’t believe it that we even lasted this long. I saw Taeyeon cutting the fruits we have gathered before and I went on to help her out. I boiled water and made Taeyeon a cup of coffee – the last of the supply we have which we found in her bag, mine and digging diligently through the boat’s supplies.

 

We sat down close to the fire to keep us warm as the morning breeze was a bit too chilly still. I handed Taeyeon the coffee. “Here. Drink this. By the way, that’s the last one we have.”

 

“What about you? Here. Just drink this. I’m fine with just water.”

 

I shook my head. “Nah. You can have it. I’m okay.” Taeyeon eyed me. “It’s okay, TaeTae. Just drink it.”

 

“Stubborn,” I heard her mutter under her breath.

 

“I could say the same to you.” I said back.

 

She looked at me, narrowing her eyes. “What?” I asked. “I heard you. And you are stubborn yourself. So don’t you dare give me that look TaeTae. We’re just the same here.”

 

“Aha! So you are admitting that you are stubborn.” She pointed at me with a victorious, smug look on her face.

 

“Aish. Whatever!” I crossed my arms and sulked. I don’t even know how or why but I just can’t win against her whenever we argue on things like this.

 

Taeyeon was laughing her head off. “Ha! At least you admitted that you are stubborn.” She was still laughing and I couldn’t help but love the sound of her laughter and how happy she looks. I tried my best to keep a straight face. “Awww. Stop sulking now, Pani Pani.” She cooed.

 

How can I even keep a straight face on that dorky face she has on. I started laughing as she keeps making faces. “I can’t believe Kim Taeyeon has this side to her.”

 

“What? Why? What do you think of me?” It was her turn to sulk now. I gave her my most smug look or so I thought.

 

“Well, I thought for one that you were just a short-mysterious-girl-walking-with-her-backpack-and-knife-who-doesn’t-know-how-to-smile-laugh-and-joke-around.” I stuck my tongue out to her.

 

She started laughing again. “Seriously, how old are you again? How childish Pani.” She chortled.

 

“Whatever!” Fine. I lost to her again. She always has to have the last word eh?

  

Our breakfast was filled with teasing and bickering and ended later than we intended to. I told her that I would clean up the rest of our mess so she could get started to what she has planned to do for that day.

 

I wanted to come with her to gather the materials she would need but she told me to just stay in our little turf and wait for her. But, after a little arguing she finally let me help her, though I stayed behind still. She asked me if I could gather all our things and put them in the boat and move them aside and clear out some of the space close to where we have our current little ‘home’.

 

It didn’t take me that long to do everything she has asked me of so I busied myself with preparing lunch. We don’t really have much choice left but a few canned goods and things we have gathered from the woods.

 

I prepared everything, made sure that we would have enough, that Taeyeon would have enough for all the hard work she has been doing. I waited for Taeyeon to come back from her trip to the woods before I start cooking.

 

The silence slowly crept up to me and I can suddenly feel the loneliness and longing to be with my family. I walked to the big rock where I have been trying to keep track of the days we have been stranded in this island. I gulped when I saw the marks I have made. Twenty days. It has been about twenty days and we are still here. I couldn’t even think of how we are able to survive until now.

 

I sat next to the rock and pulled my knees up close to my chest and hugged it. I am scared. Too many what ifs are running through my mind. I hugged my knees tighter as I try to suppress the tears that are threatening to fall. I am such a crybaby. I shouldn’t be crying like this.

 

I can’t stay there any longer. I stood up, walking fast until I started to run as fast as I could looking for Taeyeon. The silence and the thought of being alone is killing me inside, and it hasn’t even been that long.

 

I’m not sure where I am even headed to, as the tears started to blur my vision.

 

“TaeTae!” I cried out.

 

“TaeTae…” I keep ca

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter