Moving on or what?

Why me?

Relief. That’s all you needed to feel. And that’s what you got. Talking to your friends and going out more. The past month since the break-up was dreadful. Everything reminded you of him. Everywhere you looked, everywhere you went. You’d feel nostalgic and smile a bit but frown right after because of the bitter ending.

But despite reminiscing, you didn’t shed a single tear. If anything, you smiled more in the last month than you did in the last 2 months of your relationship with him.

Him. You didn’t dare mention his name. Neither did your parents, Jongin, Yu-ri, nor Sehun. You knew and they knew that the mention of his name would bring bad vibes.

To be honest, you would sometimes lie in bed and think about the past but you would never cry. You tried to stay positive especially with school coming up in a week.

You were kind of sad because it was almost time for Jongin to go back to Japan. But he promised to always video chat and message on kakaotalk whenever he could.

It was his last day in Korea so you and your parents decided to have a mini-party for him and you for going away to school, with your friends that knew him and a few of his friends.

You were putting the sign for “See you soon” up on the wall near the food when you felt a pair of hands holding your waist. It startled you for a bit but you relaxed after.  Jongin.

You sighed. “Oh, it’s just you.”

Jongin became super attached and touchy towards you. Not that you minded. It was kind of bad because you were taking advantage of the fact that he was super affectionate and you used that to fill the void. You sighed because you thought of Luhan again. Luhan.

He really helped you forget your past. You were happy hanging around him. You just figured that he became more affectionate because he was out of the picture so there’d be no one to get mad.

“I’m just making sure you don’t fall.”, he said smirking.

“Oh, thanks..”, you turned back to the sign and finished hanging it up.

Jongin helped you jump down from the chair with his hands still at your waist. He pulled you into his body and hugged you tight.

“I won’t be able to do this for a long time.”, he sighed.

You hugged him back and sighed in sadness. “I know, do you have to go?”, you looked up to him.

He nodded, “But, I have to give you something before I go.”

He slipped his hand into the right pocket of his jeans and was about to pulled it out when the doorbell rang. He pulled his hand out empty and said, “Later. I’ll give it later.”

He walked to the door and opened it, revealing Sehun.

“HYUNG!”, Sehun ran up to Jongin and hugged him. Sehun was hanging off Jongin’s neck but Jongin pushed him off.

“Ok, enough love for me.”, Jongin said. But Sehun frowned and stuck his tongue out to him.

Sehun and Jongin got along well in the last month and even grew closer due to their similar interests. Dancing.

Sehun came over every other day and they’d talk about dance moves they learned or saw. Or sometimes they’d talk about you when you weren’t around. Through this, Sehun learned about Jongin’s love for you. And he supported it one hundred percent. Despite being Luhan’s friend, Sehun saw that Jongin would be better for you. But, of course, he never said that to you.

“Hey.”, you called out to Sehun. He smiled at you and pulled you up to your room.

“Let’s get you ready. The party’s starting in 2 hours.”, he said, looking through your closet.

“But, I’m ready.”, you said sounding offended.

“Nuh-uh. We need to fix your hair and give you a pretty dress. Make up…. Maybe a little, you’re already pretty.”, he winked at you.

You blushed at his comment. Sehun was still a ladies’ man, no matter what.

He chose a white dress and you curled your hair at the ends, since Sehun was incapable of holding a curling wand. You just put a little bit of mascara and blush.

Sehun looked at you and smiled. He kissed your hair and muttered, “He’ll love this.”

You looked at him and asked, “He? What?”

“Nothing.”

Slowly, people started arriving. Yu-ri arrived and Sehun gave her a kiss on the cheek. You were suspicious of their actions but they denied.

Jongin’s friends arrived and some of your parents’ friends. Jongin introduced you to his friends, and they responded by slapping his back and hooting like monkeys. They were teasing him.

It was loud because of the music and people talking. You spent your time with Sehun and Yu-ri because you weren’t close with any of the other people. Eating and sitting the back yard, talking about university coming up.

“So have you packed yet?”, Yu-ri asked.

 

“A bit. I’ve been procrastinating because I just can’t take it in yet. Moving out and living on my own for a whole year.”, you said.

“You should start. School starts in a week, you know. Just be glad we’re all going to the same school.”, Sehun commented.

“Yeah but not the same program or dorm building.”, you said.

“Hey, mine is right beside yours and Sehun’s is.. well, Sehun doesn’t matter.”, Yu-ri said.

“Wow, rude. I matter. Right, Hana?”, Sehun said feigning sadness.

“Huh? I don’t know what you’re talking about.”, you grinned evilly at Yu-ri who had the same grin.

“I hate you two. I just go to Japan with Jongin- hyung, then. He loves me.”, Sehun said, crossing his arms.

You looked at Yu-ri and smiled. Both of you jumped on him and tackled him with a hug

You guys were giggling and laughing when Jongin’s voice snapped you all out of it.

“Hi, uhm do you guys mind if I borrow Hana?”, Jongin quietly asked.

“Sure.”, Sehun and Yu-ri nodded. Jongin gave Sehun a knowing look and secretly mouthed “Fighting~” behind your back as you got up.

Jongin grabbed your wrist and slid his hand down into yours and interlinked your hands together.

“Where are we going?”, you asked.

He didn’t say anything and just lead you to your room. He walked ahead into your room and stood with his back towards you. You saw his inhale and exhale loudly before he turned around.

“Oppa, wh-“, you said before he cut you off.

“Hana, I know we’ve known each other for a long time and I’m almost like a big brother to you. But, it hurts. It hurts because… because…”

“What is it?”, you asked, confused.

“Because I love you.”

“Jongin-oppa.”, you stared wide-eyed. 

“No, Hana. I love you. More than a brother. I want you to look at me not as a brother but as a man.”

“Uh…”

He pulled out the thing he wanted to give you from before. It was a red velvet box. Slowly, Jongin opened the box. Inside was a thin silver band; it was plain, no designs.

He pulled the ring out of the box with shaky hands and took your right hand. He placed the ring on the ring finger of your right hand.

“I’m not asking for right now. But, this is for when I come back a year from now. I know it’s kind of sudden because of your break-up with Luhan. But.. I just had to do this. Hana, all my life, I’ve loved you and I still do. So please accept this ring as a promise. Not to be mine, but to answer me a year from now. Okay?”, Jongin looked down anticipating your response.

“I-I..”, you were at a loss for words. You never imagined Jongin as anything other than an older brother. You didn’t know if you could. But heck, you had nothing to lose.

“Okay.”, you quietly responded.

“What?”, Jongin looked up and smiled.

“I said, ‘okay’. I will accept this, but…”, you hesitated.

“It’s okay, that’s all I wanted to hear.”, Jongin smiled from ear to ear, with his eyes glistening with happiness. He pulled you in for hug but suddenly, he cupped your chin and placed a chaste kiss on your lips.

It lasted for a millisecond but your mind couldn’t process what had happened. Jongin pulled away and your had shot up unconsciously to touch your lips. I don't feel anything..

He smiled and pulled you back to Sehun and Yu-ri. 

Sehun saw the victorious smile on Jongin's face so he knew that you accepted and he was so happy for you. 

Sehun told Yu-ri what was happening while you were gone so why you camr back, she screamed in excitement and grabbed your hand to see the ring. 

"OH MY GOSH!!! HAN!! I'M SO HAPPY FOR YOU!", Yu-ri shrilled into your ear. 

You instinctly covered your ears. "Holy- YU-RI! I'm right here and it's just a ring. I'm not getting married.", you said unamused. 

"Still, Jongin- oppa will love you much more than that baby-face did.", Yu-ri said, as-a-matter-of-factly.

"Anyways, I'm happy for you, Hana. I hope this will help you move on from him.", Sehun said, patting your back. 

You smiled, but it didn't reach your ears. You were unsure of this whole thing, but there was nothing to lose and you did love Jongin. However, that love was not romantic love, you just hoped it would develop that way. Or at least that's what you thought was best.


The next day, you had to wake up early to drop Jongin to the airport. 5:00am.

You really weren't down to go there that early but you had to say bye. 

"HANA, YOU BETTER BE AWAKE OR I'LL DRAG YOU OUT HERE!", you heard your mom yelling from the kitchen while she cooked breakfast. The last breakfast with oppa. 

"I'M UP!", you yelled back, as you dressed up. 

Breakfast was gloomy as every one knew that it was time for farewell. You finished up and made your way to the car. 

You arrived to the departure area of the airport around 7:00am. You promised yourself you wouldn't cry but it was getting harder and harder to keep that promise. 

Jongin was already checking his baggage in. His flight was scheduled at 8:30am but he wanted to come early to avoid rushing. 

He was done checking in so he went back to where you were sitting. 

"So, I guess this is it.", Jongin said, still smiling. How can he still smile?

"Yep.", you nodded, looking lost. 

"I'll miss you all. Thank you for letting me stay the whole summer. I had a good time, so expect me next summer.", he smiled then bowed to show his appreciation. 

"Oh, Jongin-ah. It was a pleasure having you stay with us. Consider this your second home. I hope you come visit again soon.", your mom said then hugged Jongin.

Your dad put a hand on Jongin's shoulder, "Visit again, Jongin-ah. We'll miss you."

Jongin then turned to you. You stood there not knowing what to say or do because tears were threatening to fall. Your haven was leaving, what did you expect?

All he did was pull you in for a tight hug, give you a kiss on the forehead and lips, and told you that he loved you. 

A single tear fell from your eyes as you closed them to feel Jongin's hands cupping your face. 

"I'll miss you.", you quietly said. 

He smiled as he let you go. He said a final goodbye and waved as he walked away towards security. 

He passed security and disappeared behind the automatic doors.


Days passed and school was about to start. You woke up early the day of and put your stuff into the moving truck. There wasn't much but you were sharing the moving truck with Sehun and Yu-ri to save money. 

The moving truck then moved to Yu-ri's house then to Sehun's. 

Soon you and your parents were in a large van with Sehun and his parents, and Yu-ri and her parents driving you all to SNU. The moving truck was already waiting on campus for you all to arrive. 

After unloading and taking your stuff to your dorm, you said your farewells to your parents. They seemed more happy to see you leaving than you did. 

It was about lunch time so you three decided to eat at a restaurant near campus then grab your schedules for the semester. 

Unfortunately, the campus was big so you kept getting lost and couldn't find the office to pick up your schedules so you ended up roaming around campus in hopes of finding it on chance. 

However, what you found was not what you wanted to see on the first day. 

How could you forget.....

Luhan is going to the same school as you. 

You mentally facepalmed yourself. "Ugh.", you said out loud. Why me?

"Woah there. They need a room.", Sehun said. 

"Ew, what the fu-", Yu-ri exclaimed. 

You stopped Yu-ri from saying any profanities and lead them in the opposite direction. It was quite a sight to see because there was Luhan with a girl on his lap. Not just any girl, it was Sohee. Of course.

You noticed Luhan's appearance changed; a piercing on his left earlobe, more street style clothing, and hair a lighter shade of brown. 

It still hurt looking at him. It hurt that he moved on so quick. But didn't you move on as well?

 

Luhan was silently watching you walk away from him. It took everything he had to not run after you. Sohee was just his distraction from the heartache he felt.

He knew that this was his second chance, and he was going to show you that it was not over.