New Student

Why me?

Second year was about to finish. Exams just finished, and you just signed up for summer school. Since summer school was open to any student despite what school they went to, this meant that there would be many transfer students for the summer. 

If you were to asked to describe what your dream summer looked like, summer school would have definitely been out of the picture. It's not that you didn't want to, and it's not like you had to sign up. You didn't fail anything either.. I mean, you're not the first of the class for nothing. One good thing though... your best friend also signed up for summer school so you wouldn't be alone.

Few days earlier... 

You looked at your phone for the time. 6:30AM. That was the time you got up every morning. Today was different. You woke up with a smile, feeling carefree. Reason being that you didn't have exams anymore. You felt so alive and free, like you were reborn.. Okay maybe you were exaggerating. Well, just yesterday, you were dragging your feet out of bed because of your lack of sleep and motivation. But you finally got enough sleep last night and woke up feeling fresh. You thought to yourself, "Finally, I can relax." 

You ran to the bathroom, took a quick shower, and dressed up for school. As you were about to take a seat at the table to eat breakfast, your mom asked you first thing in the morning, "Honey, are you going to sign up for summer school?" 

Oh boy.. That was not the wake up call you wanted. "Mom, do I really have to?", you asked. But you already knew what she'd say. 

It was a chill day since classes were over and exam season just ended. In your school exam season was called Hell Week. This is because all exams were packed into one week, unlike other schools where exams were spread out over a course of three. You heard your classmates talking about how hard Hell Week was. Everyone was stressed because of early acceptances to universities next year.

Summer school was about to start on Monday. That was in three more days. You only had this weekend to have fun with your best friend, Lee Yu-ri. Funny story how she became your best friend because you used to hate each other, then you bonded over that hate. 

"Let's do something before summer school starts. I don't even know why my parents made me sign up.", Yu-ri said as you guys walked down the hall to your classroom. 

 "Uhh.. sorry. That's my fault. My mom made me sign up and probably told your mom. But at least we can spend it together! Hopefully we're in the same class. Anyways, do you have something in mind?", you asked. She started talking about what you guys should do, but your mind seemed to drift onto somewhere else. You noticed a new student walking turning into your classroom and wondered what he was doing here. Is he new? 

"Hanaaaa~ Hana... HANA! ARE YOU LISTENING? HELLO~?", Yu-ri waved her hand in your face. You finally noticed and apologized while asking her if she saw that guy walk in to your classroom. She said that he was the new student. WHAT THE HELL? Why are we getting a new student 2 days before this school year ends. 

You walked in to the classroom with Yu-ri linked to your arms. There, you saw the new student standing at the front of the classroom. He looked confused because there was no teacher. You came up to him and asked, "Hi, I'm the class president. Do you need anything?"

He just stared at you for the longest time and nodded awkwardly. You smiled at him so he wouldn't feel uncomfortable. But he just gave you his student info sheet and shrugged. You weren't sure of what he wanted but you took a look at his paper. Why is he acting like this? OH! He's in this classroom.

You gave it back to him and joyfully said, "This is your assigned class then, huh? AnnyeongHaseyo! I'm the class president, Cho Hana. But you can just call me Hana. This is my friend, Lee Yu-ri. But call her Yu-ri. I hope we can get along!" 

He bowed a little, stuck his hand out for a handshake, and said, "A-Annyeong Ha-haseyo, je ir-ireumeun Luhan- imnida." You shook his hand and smiled at him. He's a little awkward, but he's cute. His accent is a little off though. Hmm..

Your teacher, Ms. Kim, walked into the classroom and told everyone to sit down. You ran to your seat and looked ahead. Ms. Kim introduced Luhan to the class. "Everyone, this is your new classmate Luhan. I know its a little late for a new student but he will be attending summer school with most of you.... Oh! And he's from China, he came here a few years ago  so he can understand and speak well but his Korean is a little lacking. Please treat him well. Luhan, go take a seat beside..... Hana." You raised your hand so he knew where you were and pointed at his seat as he walked towards you. Oh, he's Chinese then! No wonder.

He nodded and walked to his seat. As he sat down, you looked at him and smiled. He smiled back, after all that awkwardness earlier. Then you looked ahead back to Ms. Kim. Not really caring that he was there. 

The day went on.

Many students gathered around him during the first break and talked to him. Thank god no one was a bully in your class. During the second break, it seemed that he made many friends so you didn't bother talking to him or helping him since he adapted pretty well. You noticed many girls flirting with him. But that didn't shock you, he had a pretty face and he was tall. He didn't just get along with the girls, but also the boys. They seemed to really like how he played soccer. Boys and sports.. You thought as you smiled and shook your head, while reading your summer school outline.

It's not that you didn't care about him, but you just didn't mind his presence and only talked to him when you had to. After that day, he was just another ordinary classmate. 

Or so you thought.....