First Task

In Everything Lies the Unknown

First Task

Chapter 25

 

The next morning all the students were called very early at the principal's office.



All were gathered, some did not have breakfast yet and some did not have enough sleep when their names were announced over the campus and were instructed to immediately head in the principal's office.



"I must apologize for calling you in such a beautiful morning" the principal said not really feeling sorry for it.



"A crime happened last night, at the middle of the night when some of our men in the Development Program were retrieving a special package. Some people attacked us and stole that package from us" The principal said calmly as he told what happened last night.



"What's in the special package?" Gyuri asked curiosity was evident in her question.



The principal smiled and answered, "Unfortunately, it is classified."



"So, what are we here for if it is classified? Can you just tell your story to the others who will pretend to be interested" Nicole said as she was more interested in her nails rather than being in the meeting.



"Such an " Sooyoung whispered to no one but her team was able to hear her and just nod.



"Well what do you expect unnie, they are the y team" Taemin said rather loudly.



"What did you say? Are you insulting us you losers?" Jihoo said as he heard what Taemin said.



"Losers? Do you really want to know who is who right now?" Yuri coldly said to the guy as her hand showed an electric current ready to aim at the guy.



"Enough. Save it to the tasks that I will give all of you" the principal said looking bored at the tension between the two.



Noticing that the principal look uninterested, Kenji voluntarily asked if he could take over and relay the tasks at hand.

 

The principal gladly agreed.



"The special package is a very important item that we must secure. This package will be delivered directly to our head government to the Capitol. Now here is the situation..." Kenji their professor explained.



The package was sent in Korea for an intensive research four months ago. And yesterday night was scheduled for it to return back to the Capitol as it needed more experiment but the problem was, the Rebels knew about this classified information and were able to get their hands on the said item.



The government must not know that it got stolen. There will be trouble when the incident leaked thus, the students were tasked to be the one to retrieve the package from the rebels.



You will coordinate with the intelligence unit to help with the investigation. Your task will be investigate and retrieve what was stolen from us.



Kenji explained all the details and dismissed them to give the students time to prepare themselves.



Yoona and Yuri together with Sooyoung and Hyoyeon were first assigned to visit the area of the incident.



"Would you look at that? Our first on site task is to find a package and the principal has chosen the right dogs to sniff around the area" Hyuna said as soon as they got out of the office.



Her fellow teammates laughed at her snarky remark.



"Listen, You good for nothing slu--" Hyoyeon was about throw some insults at the girl but Yuri signaled Hyoyeon to just let it go.



"Let's not waste our time talking with this kind of people" Yuri said as she looked up and down Hyuna.



Feeling insulted and downgraded by how Yuri looked at her, "Hmph... just because you are the admiral's daughter that does not mean you have a say in everything after all,..." Hyuna trailed off.



"... You are just thrown away here. Such a disgrace you have brought in your family" Hyuna ended what she was saying but Yuri just looked at her uninterested.



Yuri then smirk, “Well I can always show you how I end up here" she said as the lights on the ceiling suddenly exploded which earned for the others to take a step back away from her.



When Yuri looked at the terrified reaction of Hyuna and her friends, she stopped and walked out satisfied that she scared them off.



"That wasn't very nice" Yoona said not really meaning it as she smiled at Yuri.



"I bet you enjoyed that little show huh" Yuri smugly grin.



"Yeah, I did a little..but I don't want them insulting you like then" Yoona frowned remembering the harsh words that Hyuna thrown at Yuri.



"I was a messed that time and I have to admit I did things..."



"What kind of things?" Yoona asked now curious.

 

She gazed at Yuri but it was unreadable expression.



"Things that we should not bother to brought up anymore" Yuri said as she speedily walked leaving Yoona behind.



 Yoona decided not to follow her girlfriends because she knew that it would be best for Yuri to think things through on her own.



"Sorry about that. Yuri really doesn't like to talk about her past" Jessica said crossed arms. The two were still in front of the admin building.



"Yeah, it figures. Somehow I get the feeling that everybody knew her before she came here except me?" Yoona said clearly disturbed at this kind of thought because she should be the one who knew Yuri well before anyone else but it was the opposite.



Jessica sighing. She could clearly the insecure feeling that Yoona was having and it slowly seeping out of her system.



Jessica clings to Yoona's arm with hers and Yoona just looked at her questioningly.



"I think before you do some "sniffing" around later, we should hang out and get to know each other instead" Jessica smiled excitement twirling in her eyes.

 

Yoona looked at her amused and could not help herself but laugh at the choice of word that Jessica said.



"Don't tell me "the best friend" will interrogate me now. Assessing if I am the "right" girl for the impeccable Kwon Yuri" Yoona said smiling.



Jessica pretended to think about it. Then, "You can say that. I have to do my role as a best friend you know"



"And also, I want to know if you have certain skills" Jessica said rather vague.



Confused, "What certain things?" Yoona asked.



"Yuri did things, wild things before, I tell you, and I don't know if you are up with that certain things" Jessica said wiggling her eyebrows implying on something.



Yoona still confused did not get what Jessica meant. The blonde girl just rolled her eyes at this. Jessica then whispered it to her and bluntly told her what certain things she was talking about.



When she was done telling this, she looked at Yoona's reaction and she forever would not regret telling it to Yoona as the girl had the funniest reaction Jessica have never seen before.



"Don't tell me Yoong... You have never done it before?" Jessica said and when Yoona shook her head.

 

She was shocked like someone had told her that she had a black hair.



"Oh come on, stop looking at me like it was a heresy" Yoona annoyingly looked at the shock expression of Jessica.



"Seriously ? OMG! here I thought you are the type who likes it rough" Jessica muttered.



"Excuse me ? How did you end up with that idea" Yoona asked obviously appalled at the statement.



Jessica looked at her seriously, "don't worry. Yuri can be gentle for the first timers" she said reassuringly.



"Gentle?? Wait why we are having this kind of talk. I am not discussing my life to yo-" Yoona suddenly thought of something about Yuri.



Yoona began to question Jessica seriously.

 

Sensing the serious mode of Yoona, Jessica stopped laughing at her and was about to ask her if she was ok when Yoona suddenly asked something too personal about Yuri.



"Does Yuri have been doing this kind of thing even before?" Yoona asked obviously hurt at the thought of Yuri sleeping with someone before that was not her.



Jessica thought that Yoona's question was cute. Yoona was the innocent type that the one sacred word was like a taboo for her to say.

 

As much as she wanted to giggle at Yoona, Jessica answered her truthfully, seeing her hurtful reaction.



“Yuri did some things before... Wild things because of something or rather someone she had lost. “Jessica said her eyes have mixed emotions deep in her thoughts.



"Someone she lost? Who?" Yoona asked somehow curious who this person was. Why was she important to Yuri and why she wasn't told about this by Yuri herself?

 

Yet again, she never asked these things to Yuri. She was too focus on the present that there were things left unfinished.
 

She then felt sick in her stomach. Yuri knew everything about her and yet, she only knew a little about Yuri.



Jessica looking at Yoona who seemed to be thinking dark thoughts just sighed. She really messed up this time.



"Look Yoona, I'm sorry if I literally getting into your relationship with Yuri. I just want to let you know that it is not my tale to tell and you better ask Yuri about it if you still want to know" Yoona nodded at what Jessica said but the blonde girl still not convince if she had made Yoona ease somehow.



"Yoona-ya, Yul may had something on her past before but she is over it already. Ever since she met you, believe me or not, she came back to the Yuri I used to know" Jessica said slowly as if she was trying to bring these words inside Yoona and permanently mark it on her.



"That someone...does Yuri love her?" Yoona simply asked but this simple question was filled with doubts, in securities and what ifs.



"Yuri loved her with her life" Jessica said finally giving up at trying to shade things to Yoona because eventually Yoona will know one way or another.




***



It was after lunch and two pairs were now in the moving limousine car heading towards the scene of the incident.With Yoona and Yuri facing each other as Sooyoung was beside Yoona and Hyoyeon beside Yuri.
 


Kenji sat infront. He was tasked to accompany his students to overlook things also as much he has so many things to do, the principal specifically to keep an eye to them.
 


Yoona looked at the side of her, looking at the busy people in the city. People who were going on with their normal lives. There are some couple sitting at the coffee shop simply talking, some parents busy buying what their children like, some businessmen looking at their watch waiting for their ride to arrive and some were pretty much living their life the way they wanted them to be.

 

Yoona envied them and somehow wished she could live in the city doing whatever. She unconsciously held the metallic bracelet on her left wrist. Instead of the usual bracelet she has to identify her as a white rank, it was replaced by what she was wearing. It was a tracking device and all of them were required to wear it when doing this kind of stuff for the school.



"Are you nervous?" Sooyoung softly said to her so that their professor would not hear.



Yoona looked at Sooyoung and the rest; all were quiet watching every place they passed.

 

None had said a word.



Yoona shook her head.


"No, are you?" Yoona asked back.


Sooyoung smirked, "Me ? Nervous? Hahaha, you must be kidding" she smugly said but Yoona could only raise an eyebrow at her because the tall girl could not stop fiddling her shirt.



Yoona just cutely smiled at her and she was back in looking over the window but before that, she stole a glance at Yuri who was staring at her. She smiled at her but Yuri just turned her head looking at the window.



"Another mood swings Yul?" She thought.

 

Then, she remembered what she and Jessica had talked about. Yoona could only sigh again and again. She then shook her head as if shaking all her thoughts away.

 

This was not the right time to think about her personal issues. Right now, there were more important things to take care of other than this little insecurity issue she had, that was what she thought.



The car stopped indicating that they have arrived at the area.



Yoona stepped out the car first followed by the others. They scanned the area and noticed that they were in some kind of Port.



The smell of the salty ocean and metallic cargos combined in the air was very evident.



Hyoyeon looked at her side and noticed that there were a lot of police cars in the area.



"I thought that the government should not know about this case then, why there police cars here" she questioned.



"For all they know is that it is a simple murder case. The officers investigating here are what you call obedient to us" Kenji explained as he smirked.



"So basically, they are the school's dogs who are here to cover up the incident?" Sooyoung nonchalantly asked.



Kenji did not need to answer as they all knew already.



The four of them walked deeper in the private facilities where cargos were being kept, they turned left and another left just to get to the destination.



It turned out that the incident happened in the hidden place and no one could suspect a thing if something was going on.



As soon as they arrived in the area, three officers went to them and bowed to the professors.



"Is the perimeter secured?" Kenji in his most business like voice void of any emotions asked.



"Yes sir, we have already cleared out the areas in case a civilian would walked in" one of the officers said and he looked at the three girls behind Kenji wearing casual clothes.



"They are with me. They are part of the school and will be in charge here from now on" Kenji coldly said to the three of them.



The officers tensed at this but simply nodded. Kenji instructed to guard the surroundings and they will start to investigate.



"Someone's having a bad day. Are you sure you're not on your period Professor Kenji" a voice who was none other than Hyori said obviously teasing him.



"What in the world are you doing here?" Kenji said narrowing her eyes at Hyori with some of the students behind her.



"I am the head of the intelligence; didn't the principal tell you that? You must be out of date lately" Hyori said in a way that would be pissed the professor more. She did not wait for the guy to respond as she greeted the four girls.



"Hi girls. I hope that this guy's grumpiness has not been rubbing on your system" Hyori winked and the girls chuckled.



Hyoyeon then noticed Seohyun as one of the members of the intelligence team and she did not like it one bit.



"Wait, Seo.. Why are you here? Don't tell me you are part of..." Hyoyeon lamely asked wanting to reconfirm what her intuition was.



Seohyun nodded, " I am part of the intelligence unit. I have been taking part of some of the investigations lately" she said somehow feeling nervous about her unnie’s reaction.



"No, you cannot do this. This is dangerous! Especially with you power the things that have happened...the murder!" Hyoyeon strongly opposed at Seohyun's involvement knowing the ability of Seohyun, she could see things, memories and Hyoyeon did not want Seohyun to relive in the memories especially the murder.



" You have to quit. I order you to stop involving in this kind of situation" Hyoyeon frantically said which earned a look from the others.

 

Sooyoung tried to stop Hyoyeon from saying too much but the girl just would not budge.



"But unnie, I can help others. With my kind of power, it'll be useful. It's for the greater good. Think about those people who died. I can't stand not giving justice to those people who died for the selfishness of others" Seohyun said trying to convince Hyoyeon.



"No, this is too dangerous for you. You have to go back to the school now" Hyoyeon firmly said.



"I think you don't have a say on this matter Ms Kim. Seohyun here is a great asset of this team and we need her ability. This is what she wants and don't you think you are depriving her by stopping her just because of you being over protective" Hyori seriously said as she motioned for the other members to start gathering data.



"Over protective? Can't you see where we are? We are in the place where murder just occured and you are letting my Seohyun here" she said now angry more than ever.



"Seohyun is an adult now. She can take care of herself, Ms Kim. And that is why you are here to protect us. If you can't stomach what we are doing you better be the one who quit. Let's go Seohyun" Hyori reprimanded Hyoyeon.



Seohyun followed Hyori bowing at her four friends and apologizing to Hyoyeon.



Hyoyeon tightened her fists obviously not liking Seohyun's involvement into this dangerous part of society.



"Don't worry Hyo, we will protect her" Sooyoung firmly held Hyoyeon's shoulder reassuring her.



"Nothing bad will happen to her" Yoona said letting a small sympathetic smile.



"Yeah, we are here after all. We'll watch her like a hawk" Yuri winked.



Hyoyeon chuckled and thanked her friends. She decided to talk to Seo when they get back to the school.



Yuri decided to led the way and walked into the crime scene followed by the three.



Five figures traced with a chalk have been drawn on the floor, this must be the position and the angle the five victims were found dead.



The intelligence unit was busy finding some trails and evidences that could help them identify the suspect. While Hyoyeon and Sooyoung roaming around the place keeping close distance with Seohyun of course.

 

Yoona and Yuri were busy looking around helping some people in the intelligence unit like carrying stuffs and whatnot.

 

 Basically, the four acted as bodyguards as Hyori's team do their work.



"Ma'am, it looks like the murder was clean. We could not find any traces of the suspect" one man reported to Hyori.



She sighed disappointed. It looks like this case was harder than she thought with the missing package and their men's clean death; something tells her that this was not even the half of what the enemy could do. She looked up one container and noticed that it was opened.



"The suspect came from inside that cargo, looking at the angle of the bodies...when they opened the container, they were in from a surprising treat" Kenji said which Hyori nodded.



"This is not an ordinary theft case with murder anymore. Did our men find anything inside?" Hyori said slowly stressed out trying to solve the puzzle.



Kenji shook his head for an answer.



"Looks like we are going to need Seohyun's help again" Hyori muttered. The ability of Seohyun was very useful and Hyori could not deny how important she was in every investigation that they were involved in.

 

Seohyun's ability has been involved from reading people's mind and sees the memories of the person she touched to also seeing the memories by touching an inanimate object.



As much as she wanted to avoid using Seohyun from using her power, the situations were arising where she was in dire need. Hyoyeon's objection for Seohyun's participating in this kind of situation was rational. The young girl might experience psychological trauma as she relived every murder scene she saw in the memories of others. Yet, Hyori knew that this was what Seohyun had chosen and everybody should respect that.



Hyori walked to Seohyun who was talking to some of her colleagues about the progress of the investigation.



"Seo, looks like we couldn't avoid asking for your help on this matter" Hyori said somewhat feeling sorry for Seohyun.



"It's alright. I am glad to be of help Professor" Seohyun gently said and smiled.



Hyori instructed Seohyun to go inside the cargo container and picked up something like a vision of a person standing there. Seohyun nodded as she was about to go she heard her unnie.



"I am coming with you inside. We have to take caution right?" Hyoyeon said volunterring herself to accompany the young girl.



"Seohyun needs no distraction when she tries to extract a memory from an object. Yoona and Sooyoung, why don't the two of you accompany Seohyun inside" Hyori said and looked at Kenji for approval in which the guy willingly gave. Althoug, Hyori and Kenji were not in good terms they still act professionals in their work.



"But-" Hyoyeon tried to protest.



"Over protectiveness and personal matters will not be tolerated in this mission" Kenji hissed giving Hyoyeon and the standing Yuri who didn't even say a word, a glare.  



"Don't worry Hyo, we'll make sure nothing happens to Seo, right Yoong?" Sooyoung said confidently.



Yoona just smiled and gave a thumbs up. Hyoyeon nod, "alright...we'll be watching from here. Just shout if anything happens" she said.



Yoona then move beside Yuri who was looking at the container few meters in front of her.



"I am surprised you are not being hysterical or being Hyoyeon like" Yoona jokingly said.



"Even if I say something, I will always lose to your stubbornness" Yuri said smirking at Yoona.  



Yoona smiled and punched Yuri's shoulder a little which cause the tan girl to bend a little from the force. She looked at Yoona questioningly. Yoona simply gave a grin and walked towards the container in which Soyooung and Seohyun were about to go inside. But before she joined the two, she turned towards and faced Yuri walking backwards.



"That's your punishment! I don't like the moody Yuri you know" Yoona said teasingly.



Yuri huffed at Yoona. "Just be careful, alright" Yuri shouted who couldn't hide her protectiveness to Yoona. The doe eyed girl just made a peace sign.
 


"Yoong, hurry up" Seohyun called out to Yoona.



Seohyun's POV



I called out to Yoona and with a second she ran towards us.


"Geesh, you and Yuri couldn't spend even a single moment away from each other, huh?" Sooyoung unnie said teasing Yoona which the girl just nudged unnie to shut up.



As we enter inside the cargo container, nothing much happened. It was just any empty container. We decided to look around to see if there were any signs where the suspect could be standing.

 

Sooyung looked around as well as Yoona who was observing the sides of the cargo.



I also searched around trying to find any clues but there seemed to be none. Then, as I take another stepped... I noticed the odd sound of the metallic floor.

 

I stepped on it again to make sure I was not hearing wrong but then, there was that sound again.



I then got on my knees and sat to look closer on the floor. Yoona noticing that I may found something also looked at the part I was touching with Sooyoung busy with looking something on her on.



"Do you think you can extract something?" Yoona asked me softly as soon as we saw some kind of scratch.



"I don't know but I will try" I said and put my palm on the floor with a scratch. I closed my eyes and hoping that I could see something.



I could feel the cold temperature last night and I decided to focus on this.

 

The cargo seemed to be moving forward and there was a person inside. This is it !

 

This is the person we have been looking for. I just need to see the face of this person.



As the container moved, the person was standing patiently waiting for something. Then, the container halted and it seemed to be landing.
 


I heard voices. Mumbled voices of the man but I heard one man instructed to open the cargo. When it opened, the light of the moon gave brightness inside but I could only see a shoe of the person.



*Bang* *Bang* *Bang* *Bang*



Gunshots were heard and I saw the last man standing terrified as he pointed the gun.



The person slowly emerged.

 

A little bit more I could see the face of the killer.

 

More, just one more step then...

 

Huh? What happened? Why couldn't I see anything?

 

 Darkness everywhere.

 

What was happening? I turned around hoping for a light to shed.



"Tsk tsk tsk! You shouldn't see these things you know. You don't want to end up like those guys" a voice coldly said to me threatening me. My hair at the back of my neck seemed to stand.

 

I looked for the source of the voice and I saw half of the face wickedly smiling as the person wiggle her pointy left to right warning me.



The next thing I knew was...

 

Yoona grabbed the back of my shirt, yelling Sooyoung's name as she threw me towards unnie.

 

I looked at her in wonder. She was panicking and then my vision changed; me and Sooyoung were like flying outside.

 

As soon as we hit the floor, I saw Hyoyeon unnie with Hyori and Kenji frantically approaching us.



People carrying buckets of water, Yuri standing looking shocked as she slowly ran for something then… blackness overcame me.



"Where is Yoona by the way? That was my last thought.



To be continued

hello guys ... sorry I could not resist updating this. Hope you continue to support this story by subsrcibing, comment ang upvoting (please). Let me know what you think and kindly read my previous chapters because they are connected to the plot. Thank you. What do you think happened in this chapter?