MASQUERADE BALL

In Everything Lies the Unknown

Hello Guys ! I finally made an update. Sorry for the late update guys ! I hope this is worth the wait. I will try to focus more on the other characters in the future. For now, let me know what you think about this chapter XD

CHAPTER 19

MASQUERADE BALL

 

" Hey Soo, can you help me iron my hair" Hyoyeon said.

 

"Seo, pass that hairpin to me" Tiffany said.

 

"Sica, can I borrow these heels, I think it would look good with my dress" Tiffany said again.

 

"Yul, what do you think about my dress?" Jessica asked.

 

"It looks good sica-yah!!" Sooyoung said answering in behalf of Yuri.

 

The girls were busy preparing themselves for the big party. The day that everyone is waiting for is finally here.

 

The day the heir to the throne will be introduced to the public. This is the day that people would actually get to see and know the future ruler of the Kingdom.

 

Yuri ignored the antics of her friends and instead look at herself in the mirror. Yuri still remembers what her father said to her last night.

 

"Tomorrow will be the day you will see the princess. You must remember to maintain a low profile. You have been the target of scrutiny for these past few years because of your wild antics. We must not let the higher ups focus their eyes on you"

 

"I don't care about what they think about me, Dad. I only care about seeing Yoona at the party" Yuri said.

 

"I'm just giving you a heads up. You're not the only one who is going to be in trouble if you keep on being stubborn like that. Remember what happened to my friend's family? They were killed in their own mansion just for one simple reason. The princess wanted something from them and yet they did not give in to her wish"

 

Yuri perfectly knew who was her father talking about and this made her despise the royal family even more.

 

Why are they too blind to see what really is happening?

 

***Flashback***

 

A girl who was 7years old was sitting in a corner in what seems to be a large playground, hugging her knees as she silently cry.

 

People keep throwing things at her,

 

"Get out of here ! You don't belong here, you loser!!"

 

"What a weakling! Father said that your family is not that great. Just because your father is an admiral doesn't mean that we get to respect someone who doesn't even have an ability'

 

"Maybe she's adopted?"            

                                                                                     

"Yeah, maybe ! Just look at her she is dark unlike her family who is very fair"

 

"We should tell it to the royal guards!"

 

"No! That's not true ! I'm a Kwon!" The girl suddenly cried out.

 

"A person who doesn't have ability has no right in the capitol you should just be a slave." One of the kids who is bullying her said and they threw stones at her.

 

The girl couldn't take it anymore so she ran hoping that she could get away as fast she can, not minding where she was going.

 

When she was tired, she stopped and lay down in the grass. She looked at where her feet brought her. She had never seen such a beautiful garden. She got up and admired the white rose. For the first time, she felt at peace with no one mocking her and no one pressuring her about what she would become in the future.

 

It was 3pm in the afternoon and the sun was up high making her admire more the beauty of the place.

 

"It's beautiful isn't it?" Suddenly a voice was heard behind her. She immediately turned around and cowardly shields herself as if the person will hit her.

 

The girl giggled, "Am I that scary to you?" The new girl said amused. "What's your name?"

 

"Yuri, My name is Kwon Yuri" the girl named Yuri said somehow at ease seeing the fragile looking girl.

 

"What's yours?" Yuri asked.

 

The girl smiled playfully, "does it matter? We won't be seeing each other after this"

 

Yuri tilted her head in confusion. The girl just giggled again at her.

 

"You know, you are so cute Yul!"The girl said as she touched Yuri's face but she turned serious as she said, "You shouldn't let others hurt you like this. You should know how to protect yourself"

 

Yuri suddenly felt a warm heat from the girl's hand and slowly the pain she got from the bullies fade away same with her wounds.

 

"There you go!! Good as new but sorry, I couldn't do anything about your clothes though" she said.

 

"You have a power, you are a power user too" Yuri said rather bewildered.

 

The girl nodded," of course! If I am not, I wouldn't be here in the capitol"

 

"But I don't, does that mean I really don't belong here" Yuri said looking down.The girl looked at Yuri with sympathy.

 

"Then I'll protect you until you have your own power" the girl simply said.

 

"What do you mean? What if I really don't have a power? You can't mean that you would protect me forever, a weakling?" Yuri said somewhat surprised that someone was actually there ready to defend her.

 

""Hurting others is the same as hurting yourself. Don't let your power be a curse let it be a blessing to everyone” the girl said to Yuri.

 

"You are full of what ifs, why not let the course of time decide our fate. If ever you would have your own power then get stronger so that you won't need any protection from me" the girl continuously said.

 

"And what make you say that you can protect me? You look like you could not even hurt a fly"Yuri said doubtfully.

 

"Because I really can" she said confidently.

 

"Then, prove it" Yuri challenged her.

 

"I don't really use my ability in petty reason but I'll make an exception just for you" the girl smiled and somehow Yuri felt something within her. Some tingling feeling.

 

In a blink of an eye, the girl in front of her was gone. She looked around but could not find her. Suddenly, she felt someone blew her ear. She turned around blushing, the girl giggled.

 

"You really are a cute one" she simply said. She then looked at the lake 100 meters away from them. She gestured Yuri to look that way then she suddenly appeared in front of the lake. As she stepped in the middle of the late, it turned into ice.

 

Yuri's eyes widen in shock. She never knew that someone had the ability to turn the water in ice aside from her father's family friend.

 

Before she could question the girl, the girl appeared in front of her in way that was too close for her. The girl put a finger on her own lips signaling Yuri to keep quiet.

 

"It will be our own little secret alright!?" The girl said playfully. Yuri still shocked just nodded.

 

"So, I guess you won't doubt me about my skills" the girl winked.

 

"Who are you really? How come I have never seen you before? I have seen Almost all of the kids here in the capitol except the princess. Wait! Don't tell me you're--"

 

"Hahaha!" The girl just burst out laughing.

 

"I am definitely not the princess and If I were to choose, I prefer to be outside of this wall rather than be isolated in this walled place" the girl simply said.

 

"Why are you saying that? Everything is already here in the capitol you couldn't ask for more" Yuri reasoned out.

 

"Everything except Freedom. Someday, you will understand that not everything you see is the truth" the girl said.

 

***End of Flashback***

 

"Are you ready to go Yul?" Yuri's thoughts were interrupted.

 

"Let's go ! We are going to be late" Sooyoung excitedly said.

 

"Seriously, a black mini dress? Yul, this is a ball not some club" Jessica said as she tried to change what Yuri was wearing.

 

"I am mourning" Yuri sarcastically said in which Jessica did not bother to argue as she knew when it comes to the princess her best friend would act like a total b*tch.

 

"Just wear a mask when we go there, please!" Jessica pleaded in which Yuri smiled foolishly in return.

 

They boarded the van and drove to the capitol.

 

The ballroom was beaming with people of all styles. Dresses of all styles and colors were present at the grand party. Men in suits dotted the pack. Masks covered their  half faces; the eyes were the only thing that showed through. As the music started the stylish color figures shifted and moved till they shifted to dancing. People were dancing, flirting and talking or seemed to be boasting everything they have.

 

Since every member of the family from noble rank to elite are the only invited, those in a white rank or blue rank will not be able to join the party, even if they are serving a noble or elite person thus, Taeyeon, Seohyun and even Sunny will not be able to join their friends (Yuri, Jessica,Tiffany and Sooyoung).

 

When they arrived at the party, they get their own separate ways because they had to stick with their families.

 

With this kind of gathering, status and name are very important.

 

There are 8 elite family in the whole kingdom. And these families serve the royal family with honor. These families have different role and different purpose in the society. They take pride in their status and would always treated as the second to the royal family.

 

As the people swaying in the middle of the hall, dancing and talking to every person they met. The music suddenly stopped and the two royal guards opened the grand door. The king entered and there was silence. And everyone bowed down to him..

 

"My brethren, my people. I personally thank you all for coming here today to one of the most important events in our kingdom" the king started his speech. All people listened with respect and fear.

 

"The day will come when I will step down of the thrown and a new ruler will sit on the throne that I have taken care of for 5 decades"

 

"And that person will lead you way differently than I have led you. I am very pleased and honor to introduce to you, my one and only daughter "Princess Savannah" the king said proudly but with caution.

 

The Princess donned in white strapless gown shimmering every time her body sways in every move she made. The blonde girl is without a doubt had caught the attention of everyone with her beauty.

 

Yuri looked up and saw the princess. Finally, after so many years Yuri could get to see the princess again.

 

The princess walked down the stairs elegantly and head held high. The people were at awe at the beauty of the blonde princess. Just by looking at her, she is a real princess and being in her presence everyone was mesmerize.

 

The princess took her final step in the stairs and headed beside her father. She observed everyone and could feel their attention at her.  Then, the king signaled everyone to enjoy the party and he led the princess in the throne letting her sit beside him. They are the only ones not wearing a mask.

 

“It seems you manage to leave a good impression to them” her father said.

 

“How could I not Father, you have been preparing this for me for the past months” the princess said. Her father looked at her. Indeed, she was lovely. The king could see his wife in her but yet again, everything has changed and he was afraid that he could no longer have his old daughter back. As time passes by, her daughter is becoming the person the king would least expect her to be and that would always put his heart unease. The king noticed that the princess is trying to look for someone at the party and he knew just who that person might be. Then she found her.

 

There was one lone girl who was single out in the crowd.  Her long brown hair and scarlet colored mask was offset by the red dress she wore. The mask could not hide her beauty and the light of her beautiful brown eyes. The gold trim on her mask curved around her face like a wing of an angel. She looked stunning and the princess could not get her eyes away from this person because she perfectly knew who this person was.

 

Without even asking for the king’s permission, Princess Savannah suddenly got up earning a glance from the people. She then walked straight to the lovely girl. This lovely girl did not know as to why she ended up in this kind of party. She was just standing there waiting for the bell to strike at 12 midnight so that she could go home just like the Cinderella in a fairytale stole. Such a childish thought for someone like her but she smiled at the idea. Without knowing what was happening, the girl saw that the crowd in front of her suddenly parted at the opposite side. In front of her is her unnie looking at her with so much admiration. She held her breath as she watched the princess walk in front of her.

 

“You look lovely, Yoona” the princess whispered to her hear as she invited her to dance. Not wanting to embarrass her unnie, she accepted.

 

Yoona allowed Princess Savannah to lead her to an open area to which the crowd made for them. As another song started to play the Princess gently placed her hand on Yoona’s waist and together they danced, evenly and smoothly with the rhythm of the music. Looking at each other’s eyes, together they were heavenly, without them knowing the others had stopped to watch as their flawless routine unfolded. Hand in hand, their bodies seemed to be in complete unison. With every beat of the music, every note that ran through, the couple danced matching steps and creating an overwhelming feeling of joy.

 

***Yuri’s Pov***

 

I watched as the two of them danced in the middle of the hall. People had cleared the center for just the two of them. No one knew who the princess’ partner was and for once, I was glad that we were all obliged to wear a mask.

 

"Who is the girl dancing with the princess?" People whispered to each other.

 

"Is she part of the elite? Or is she part of the first class?" They keep on guessing but no one knew the answer except for a few.

 

The two of them danced like they were the only people in the hall and what made it worst was when the princess turned around facing me, she looked at me directly amidst the crowd and smirked.

 

She knew I was watching and she knew from the start where I was. All this time, she was watching every move that I make!!!

 

I looked around my friends and it was good thing that they did not notice anything. They haven't recognized Yoona yet, in their eyes they were watching the princess with awe. How I wish they knew the real her. If only they knew, they would not even glance at her one bit.

 

Then, I felt someone hold my hand. I looked to the source of it and saw Jessica.

 

"Relax." One simple word from her and I know that Jessica was giving me an assurance that everything was alright that she always has my back.

 

I feel guilty actually, that I haven't told Jessica anything yet, as to why I am like this.

 

As to why I began to change , I wanted to tell her... but I first need to be strong. Strong enough to protect the people I loved.

 

Strong enough not to lose everything protecting her, as I know that time will come that she will push me away for the sake of protecting me again and I won't let that happen anymore.

 

It is my turn and I won't lose.

 

My thoughts were interrupted by the loud claps that I have heard. Yoona and the princess just finished dancing. Yoona went to the other side of the hall while Princess Savannah was dragged by her father for some political talks.

 

The king then looked at me secretly and nodded.

 

I know what that means and I immediately took my chance and looked for Yoona.

 

"Having fun in the party?" I asked Yoona. I know she recognized me even if I'm wearing a mask, as soon as she heard my voice she immediately smiled at me.

 

"It seems that you're the one who is enjoying the party" she said noticing my goofy smile I had because of the lovely smile she made for me.

 

"Ahem, so, what made you come here in the Balcony? Don't you want to stay inside?" I asked.

 

Yoona shook her head, " I don't like mingling with those people"

 

I then turned around facing the hall with my elbows resting in the stands of the balcony, watching the masked people just chatting while Yoona was watching the full moon.

 

Normal POV

 

"Ironic isn't it?" Yuri asked more to myself than to Yoona unfortunately, she heard me.

 

"What do you mean?"

 

"People put masks everyday to hide their identity, their true selves. There are others who needed it the most and yet those people outright shamelessly showed themselves to the public. What an irony “Yuri pondered.

 

"How about you? Do you put your own mask every day?" Yoona asked curious what Yuri was going to say.

 

Yuri then approached her and smiled lovingly to her. Yoona can't help but be nervous and her heart is beating so fast that she felt like it's about to come out of her chest.

 

Yuri inwardly smiled seeing Yoona's reaction, “You are becoming of yourself again Yoong"

 

Yoona did not understand what is Yuri trying to say but as the tanned girl becomes closer to her, she could not wipe the smile out of her face.

 

For the first time, she felt like she has something that she owns something--and that is her growing feelings towards the girl.

 

Yuri saw Yoona's smile and she knew Yoona was feeling something to her again. And this time she won't let anyone ruin this chance.

 

So, she grabbed Yoona by the hand and sneakily went outside-away from the party and away from the prying eyes of certain people.

 

Yoona was surprised by Yuri dragging her off to somewhere but she let Yuri take her, trusting Yuri so much, even if they have just met less than a year.

 

She then thought about what the King had said to her before.

 

“Fall in love and fight for that love”

 

Yoona almost bumped at Yuri's back when Yuri abruptly stopped.

 

Yuri turned and looked at Yoona.

 

 

Yoona looked at her surroundings, it was full of white roses. The moonlight was perfectly illuminating their surroundings.

 

"Do you like it?" Yuri asked smilingly.

 

 " I never thought that this place exists in the palace" Yoona absentmindedly said obviously at awe.

 

"Someone told me this place when I was young. We usually hang out here as she really likes white roses" Yuri said reminiscing her childhood.

 

Yoona somehow felt a tug in her hear when Yuri talked about how she got to know this place. Yuri, noticing her reaction and her silence, picked a flower and handed it to Yoona.

 

Yoona was just taking the flower out of Yuri's hand when Yuri suddenly hugged Yoona.

 

"Wh-what are you doing Yul?" Yoona asked surprised. Yuri hugged her tight and was relieved that Yoona was not pushing her away. "It was here or never"

 

"I love you"

 

Before Yoona could comprehend what was happening. Yuri released her hug and instead caresses Yoona's loving face removing her mask as she had removed hers already.

 

"God! You are so beautiful, you have always been. Inside and out" Yuri said totally at awe seeing Yoona all the time.

 

"I know I'm a messed up bit*ch sometime to you and I know I have not been the nicest friend to you ever since you came at school"

 

"But believe me when I say this, the first time I saw you on that Sunday, getting off that black car, You have no idea how alive I felt seeing you"

 

Yoona never thought that Yuri already knew her on the day she came on the academy.

 

"Have you been watching me all this time?" Yonna question her somehow could not steady her voice.

 

She does not know why but to know that Yuri is watching her and looking at her- then she remembered something.

 

"You, when our eyes met for the first time what was that look, why are you giving me that look even now?" Yoona was confused and her head was hurting again. She suddenly felt suffocated and at lost.

 

She always wondered what kind of effect Yuri has to her.

 

"Yoona" Yuri called her touching her hand. She felt some sort of electricity to Yuri's touch and she was sure that it is not Yuri's ability because it has always been there whenever their skin grazed at each other.

 

Yuri was so beautiful in Yoona's eyes.

 

Her long brunette hair brushed over her shoulders like flowing silk. She had beautiful brown eyes that shine under the moonlight.

 

They were mesmerizing just like before.

 

 Yoona unknowingly brought her face closer to Yuri. She could smell the lavander scent emitting even from the inside of the girl.

 

She could not resist anymore as Yoona captured Yuri's lips.

 

It was her first time to initiate the kiss and she has no regrets because truth to be told, ever since Yuri kissed her in the forest, she is longing for it to happen again.

 

Her longing to Yuri is as strong as the longing Yuri has for her. You could say that the feelings are mutual but it gets stronger as time passes by.

 

It was perfect. Yoona holding Yuri in her arms as their lips dances in harmony.

 

Smiling foolishly as they broke their kiss each time they needed air.

 

Yuri put her forehead on Yoona's as they looked at each other's eye.

 

"Does this mean you love me too?" Yuri asked teasingly.

 

"Hmmm, I don't know maybe??"She teases back in which Yuri cutely pouted.

 

"I'm a very high maintenance girlfriend, you know" Yoona said emphasizing the word girlfriend.

 

"We'll just have to find out, do we?" Yuri said as she carried her off the ground by Yoona's waist.

 

"Waiitt Yul, I'm gonna fall" Yoona said not really that scared but giggling as Yuri spin her around.

 

"If you want me to stop just say the three words to me"

 

"No!"

 

"Say it"

 

"Hahaha, still no"

 

Yuri then put her down and turned her back acting sad.

 

Yoona smiled at how cute it was to tease Yuri.

 

She then decided to hug Yuri by the back and whispered something that Yuri has not hear for a long time.

 

"I, I'm Yoona, really really love the pabo and the dorky Kwon Yuri, always and forever"

 

Yuri feeling a wave of emotion suddenly chokes out making Yoona worried.

 

"Hey, are you ok what's wrong?" Yoona asked as she went to Yuri's front and saw her crying.

 

For the first time, Yuri was crying helplessly.

 

For the first time Yuri finally let her grieve release.

 

For the first time Yuri finally felt whole again as she saw Yoona looking at her with those worried eyes.

 

Yuri grabbed her and hugged her tight, "Hey Yoong, this pabo loves you so much. Don't ever ever think about leaving me alright? I'll die this time if it will happen again"

 

Yoona was surprised by the sudden change of mood but seeing Yuri looked vulnerable for the first time was something she did not want to see. But she was glad Yuri let her see this side of her.

 

"I won't leave, I am always here protecting you Yul" and by that she finally could tell the king that there is someone worth for her to fight for and that is by the name of Kwon Yuri.

 

Meanwhile at the party.

 

The king purposely makes the princess busy so that she would not notice Yoona being dragged by Yuri.

 

The king knew if her daughter found out what was happening now between the two, she would not be happy about it.

 

One of the king's ability is being a seeker. Once he seeks to know something, he will definitely have eyes everywhere as if watching every one with his own eyes. That's one of the reasons why no rebellion entered the capitol. He destroyed and killed the soon to be traitors even before they began executing their plan.

 

The king observed her daughter; obviously Savannah was feeling uneasy as she tried to sneakily find Yoona in the area.

 

She too noticed the sudden disappearance of Yuri. "Are they together?"

 

 The princess could not hold her temper anymore and was about to excuse herself to go look for Yoona when the king purposely asked her to join him and meet one of his cabinet member.

 

This made the princess blood boil. She could no longer wait. She has this odd feeling about something and she knew Yoona is involved with this.

 

"Oh, just give my favorite nice a breather, brother" the voice of a man was heard across the hall.

 

The princess looked up to the man and smiled, "UNCLE!" She excited called and ran up to him then hugged him.

 

"Happy birthday my princess, you are looking more beautiful each day" he said as he kissed her hand in respect.

 

"Park Ji Soo, it's nice to see my half brother finally showing his face at this kind of gathering" the king addressed him in such an unwelcome manner and the people in the party could already feel the attention.

 

"I have to be here brother; I don't want to see my favorite niece be taken advantage of, especially with your favorite girl"

 

The king smiled, "You know I never favor anyone except those in the right"

 

"Even if that means neglecting your own child?" Park ji soo said with disdain.

 

The king looked at her daughter and their eyes met.

 

"I have been lenient towards her and I won't let another mistake happened just to have her way with everything again. I will correct those mistakes as long as I am alive"

 

With that statement from the king, the princess knew now what the king is planning.

 

 The king purposely enrolled Yoona in the PSA korea because he knew that the girl she hated the most would be there and worst of all, Yoona would know that girl.

 

(Without knowing that the two have been spending time together in the garden as of the moment)

 

"You planned all of this, do you father? Do you really want to make my life miserable??" The princess hissed.

 

Good thing that no one could hear them from their distance. People decided not to eavesdrop to their conversation as this would only lead to them being on the brink of death.

 

The king did not say anything and just looked at her like he was ashamed that he has a daughter like her and walked out.

 

 Savannah did not care about what her father think of her anymore.

 

All she is thinking that all of the things she has done until now would have been for nothing.

 

Her uncle then patted her shoulder, "Don't worry, I will always on your side and I will definitely make sure that your little doll won't betray you"

 

"She's mine and I will not let anyone steal her away from me"

 

To be continued.

Hey guys ! that's it for this chapter ! I hope you likve it and sorry for the long wait. I am still trying to add more depth in the story and I am having a hard time writing something romantic hehehe.