A Story with No Happy Ending

Genie

Spinning the bottle a few more times, the bottle finally landed on you.

"Yes!" Dongwoon cheered, as he had already revealed too many secrets from his embarrassing past. You rolled your eyes and answered, "Truth." Dongwoon pouted, "Party pooper…"

You stuck your tongue out and looked around at the boys, trying to act cool at whatever question they might throw at you.

Suddenly, Junhyung remembered the incident at Lotte World and wanted to ask you about it. "~~~~-ah. I'm not sure if I should, or can, ask this. But… Why were you so scared of the crowd at Lotte World? I mean, usually we'd be scared of being in the centre attention too, but you were on a completely different level. Can you… Tell us why?" Even Junhyung hid his usual glare in his eyes and replaced it with concern.

You looked to the ground and gave a weak smile. Your fringe covered your eyes, making it hard to read what your expression was.

"Well… If you really want to listen… But I'll warn you guys first… It's a long story with no happy ending." Your expression grew dark as you spoke in a tone that the boys had never heard before. It was cold, like you were a complete stranger to the boys.

"It happened when I was six…" As you started telling your story, the flashback of the event started playing through your head.

 

"Listen ~~~~-ah. Your mummy and daddy don't want you in our lives anymore. So you're going to have to find a way to live by yourself. I know that you might not understand what's going on in mummy and daddy's lives right now. But I'm sure you'll understand when you grow up."

Your mother stepped into the taxi and threw you words that pierced your young heart.

"Yeah, if you ever grow up," your mother scoffed and ordered the taxi driver to take her to Incheon airport.

"Mummy? MUMMY!?" A six year old you was running through the busy night streets of Seoul.

At the age of six, your mum and your dad have gone through a marriage breakdown and you were caught right in the middle. Neither of them wanted to raise you so they decided to leave you.

"Mummy!?" Tears were rolling down your baby cheeks, staining them with salty marks and puffy, red eyes.

In the snow-covered streets, you ran, trying to find the taxi that your mum had rode off in. But during this festive season of Christmas, nobody would pay attention to a little girl running on the streets, screaming "Mummy".

You found yourself standing in the middle of a plaza, where everyone was walking around you, laughing and talking, towering over a tiny you. You ran to people who were wearing similar clothing as your mum but they were never her.

Feeling sleepy and tired, you feel asleep under a Christmas tree. But when you woke up, you were in a dirty looking cellar. You looked around with your puffy eyes and ran towards where the only source of light was coming from, a barred up hole.

"Hello? Who's there? Can somebody help me?" You grasped your frozen hands around the bars and looked outside. You couldn't see anything that you were familiar with. Suddenly, an old man, covered in dirt, popped out of nowhere.

"Why, hello there. What have we got here? Oh that's right, MY NEW ENTERTAINMENT! AHAHAHA!" The old man laughed hysterically, scaring you. You shivered and curled up in the corner, trying to keep yourself warm. A door opened and you thought you were saved, but it was the creepy old man from before.

"Come here!" he demanded, as he walked over to you and dragged you by your collar. You yelped and followed his big steps. The man put you onto a stage where many of the same type of creepy old men were sitting under.

"You! Girl on stage! Do something! Dance for us huh!? Or maybe even… strip?" A creepy old man from the audience shouted.

Your eyes were filled with fear, as you clutched your fists in front of your chest. The audience were becoming impatient so someone went up to stage and started hitting you with a ruler.

"Entertain us! NOW!" he yelled, as he kept hitting you with a ruler.

Soon, the audience was getting impatient so they went up on stage and encircled you. They were looking down at you, with glares that seemed like they would devour you within seconds. You started crying and didn’t know what to do.

Suddenly, a hand from the crowd reached in and starting taking your jacket off. Then, your shirt. You were left in a singlet and pants.

The creepy men were now smiling in satisfaction. Scared out of your wits, you tried running away and screaming, but it was no use. After all, you were only a six year old and the men were all in their 40s-50s.They caught you round the waist and started spanking your bottom.

"Bad girl! Try running away again, and it won't just stop at spanking!" A man yelled and continued spanking you.

Bawling your eyes out, you screamed and whined, trying to struggle out of the man's grip but it was no use. Just as you were about to give up, the door was broken open.

"Put your hands up and freeze!" Police squads came rushing in, guns at the ready. One police shook his head. "These goddamn molesters, preying on the kids. Thank god we've finally caught them." He spat on the ground and edged closer to the molesters.

"You have the right to remain silent. But anything you do or say will be used as evidence in court against you." The police pointed the gun at the molester that was holding you.

After a few minutes of struggle, the group of men were all arrested, and you were freed. But since your parents had left you, you had nowhere else to go.

"Come on lil girl, we'll take you to an orphanage."

Even at the orphanage, you were made to stand in front of crowds of potential parents, with hawk-like eyes, scanning each and every child. Every time you were made to do this, it would bring you back the memories of being almost molested. Ever since then, you would never go out and see any potential parents or be in places where people would be watching you.

 

"I moved out of the orphanage in Year 11 since I could support myself. So I'm living alone at the moment." You bitterly smiled, as a tear drop fell down. You sniffed your tears back and looked at them with wet eyes, trying your best to smile.

"Okay, let's continue!" You said, trying to put on a brave face and smiled. The bottle landed on Doojoon.

"You're going to pick truth right? Lemme think…" You tapped your chin as you tried to think of a 'Truth' question for Doojoon but breaking out of his tradition, his chose 'Dare'.

"I think… I'll go for dare this time." Doojoon smiled at you warmly. Everyone widened his eyes as he chose 'Dare'.

"Hyung! You never choose dare!" Hyunseung exclaimed. Doojoon rarely participated in 'Truth or Dare' let alone pick 'Dare'.

"I know. But I just thought that I'd try something new." Doojoon shrugged. He looked towards you, expression softening.

*Name it. Anything. And I'll do it for you. Just to make you happy.*

-----------------

:(

And that's why you're afraid of crowds