[ five ]

Not Otherwise Specified

FIVE



For the next month or so, Kyungsoo’s appetite seemed to increase, and he was eating more than ever. Yifan looked suspicious, but everyone else was satisfied that he was eating, in the least.

“I don’t know,” Yifan sighed, playing with his fingers. He was sprawled out on his bed, lying on his back, fiddling uncomfortably. “I’ve never seen anyone recover that fast. And he’s losing an awful lot of weight despite the amount of food he’s eating.”

Minseok had his chin propped up on his arms, kneeling beside Yifan’s bed and looking across the bedspread.

“What does that mean?”

“What if he’s purging now?”

Minseok sighed. “Yifan, I think you’re overreacting. It can’t be that hard to recover from an eating disorder, not when he’s surrounded with all of our support. Have you seen what Jongin’s been doing? He’s practically in love with the kid. And Kyungsoo wouldn’t hurt him by purging, either.”

“Woosung was my best friend, too. We were closer than Kyungsoo and Jongin, you know.”

Minseok looked up from beneath his eyelashes, and saw Yifan staring at him. He smiled.

“If he was closer to you than they’re closer to each other, he’d be in love with you.”

“He was.”

Oh.

Yifan sat up and leaned back on his palms, looking away from Minseok’s shocked face.

“Forget it. That doesn’t matter anymore. We should be focusing on Kyungsoo.”

Minseok drummed his fingernails on the edge of his bed, sighing quietly. “Look, I’ll keep an eye out for him, okay? No more bathroom trips during dinner, either. New dorm rule.”

Yifan smiled softly, but still looked uneasy, knowing that he probably wouldn’t keep his promise.

“Minseok, have…have you been noticing Luhan—”

“Oh, come on, Yifan,” Minseok groaned, “how cautious are you going to be about all of this? First Kyungsoo, and now Luhan? Luhan’s been eating all three meals, anyway, and he looks fine. Why are you so worried?”

Yifan bit his lip, and kicked his feet up and down on the bed. “I’m just scared, Minseok. You know he’s been eating less than normal, and he looks paler, as well. It…it could just be stress, but…you see it too, right?”

Minseok paused. “No. Well…well, kind of, but…”

His sentenced trailed into silence, and they both sat, immersed in their own thoughts – because yes, Luhan had been acting slightly out-of-character for a while.

Minseok picked at his fingernails, and Yifan crossed his legs, clasping his hands together.

“Maybe—maybe it was what Junmyeon said?” the elder whispered, looking down at the sheets, words choked at the horror of it all.

Yifan was silent.

The whole room was silent.



Months had passed, and Luhan seemed to be falling deeper and deeper into the claws of his blooming disorder, and his meals became smaller and smaller, at sharply designated times, with exact amounts planned out the day before. He completely eliminated snacks and sporadic meals, and dreaded celebrations when they involved food. He became nervous during mealtimes, eating so as not to make the others suspect anything, but leaving behind large portions and claiming he was full. He even refused his favourite desserts.

Luhan had also secretly downloaded a calorie counting app onto his phone, relieved to have a portable dictionary right at his fingertips, instead of searching it up on his laptop for long minutes before mealtimes. Now, every time he wanted to eat, he could simply calculate the total calories and track them easily on his digital notepad.

He researched that his daily calorie intake should be around two thousand and five hundred calories. He first aimed to cut down to two thousand – an approximate woman’s intake – then, one thousand and two hundred, a child’s intake – and finally, he refused to eat over one thousand calories.

He substituted food for water, and lots of it. It was inconvenient, needing to use the bathroom so often, but it was worth it if it drowned out the growling of his deprived stomach. That didn’t last for long, though; eventually his stomach adapted to the lack of food, and although he clearly needed much more than what he got, he adjusted to it.

However, there were obviously going to be consequences, and his malnutrition took a toll on his body. He woke up one morning in a cold sweat, with a tight throat and a blazing migraine. Every muscle in his body ached, he could hardly speak, and he was so, so angry – angry with himself that he’d managed to fall ill at such an unsuitable time, with debut approaching so soon.

“Luhan, why aren’t you getting up? Come on, we’ve got to head out early today,” Yifan ordered, pulling on his dance clothes hurriedly and stealing worried glances at the unmoving Luhan.

“Luhan?”

“Yifan,” Luhan rasped, “c-can you bring me the thermometer?”

He stopped. “Thermometer? Why? Luhan, you’re not sick, are you?”

“Please, Yifan.”

Beginning to panic, Yifan nodded and ran out of the room, yelling for someone to bring out the thermometer. He heard curious questions being thrown back, and Luhan could see a few members follow Yifan back into the room through his blurred eyesight.

“Luhan, are you okay?” Yixing gasped, snatching the thermometer from Yifan’s fingers and clambering up the ladder. “Are you sick? Can you hear me? Are you going to vomit? Luhan? Luhan!”

He was speaking rapid Mandarin while frantically shoving the metallic object down Luhan’s throat, feeling his forehead and trying to shake him out of his exhausted trance. Luhan groaned, gagging weakly, and tried to push Yixing off him.

“He’s got a fever!” Yixing cried, throwing the thermometer beside him and cupping Luhan’s hot cheeks in his cool palms.

“What did he say?” Baekhyun asked, shaking Yifan’s arm frantically.

“He said he’s got a fever.”

“Should we call the manager?”

“Should we call an ambulance first?”

“It’s just a fever, Jongin, don’t be stupid.”

“Quiet!” Yixing snapped, “Luhan’s running a fever and you’re all yelling!”

Despite that the others weren’t yelling, the room fell silent, and someone whispered, making Yifan scoff.

“He said, shut up,” Yifan translated. Minseok snickered.

“Luhan,” Yixing asked quietly, “your temperature’s really high. I don’t think you should attend your schedules today.”

Luhan opened his mouth to protest, but only found painful croaks escaping his mouth, and he knew he wasn’t well enough to work at all.

“Do you want to stay home?”

He nodded, closing his eyes and letting his head relax against the pillow, breathing heavily. Yixing nodded back, and quickly jumped off the bed, waving everyone out of the room.

“Guys,” Yixing snapped, “he’s staying here. Quick, quick, finish up breakfast, we have early schedules, I’ll call up the staff, don’t forget to bring your bags, and can someone bring Luhan some medication, two tablets, half a glass of water—”

“What’s he saying?” Sehun cried.

The door closed behind them, and Luhan grunted, rolling over onto his side and pulling his blankets up to his chin, shivering. He knew he wasn’t meant to, but he felt so cold, so weak, so tired…

You’re so pathetic, Luhan. You should be practicing.

His stomach felt completely constricted, and he didn’t want to eat at all – which was slightly relieving, as he could finally use his sickness as an excuse not to eat.

I’m so tired.

Letting himself relax, Luhan tried to ignore his quivering limbs, and finally managed to fall asleep again – already deeply immersed in slumber when Jongdae entered quietly with fever pills.



Luhan woke up again to the bright midday sunlight, mouth dry and head burning. He groaned, not wanting to get up to shut the curtains, but unable to handle the brightness of the sun.

“Is anyone home?” he croaked, knowing that everyone was out at work, but calling out anyway. At the silent reply, he sighed, and covered his face with his arms, really wishing he had some sort of medication to calm his throbbing forehead.

Luhan heard the door creak open, and looked up in surprise, squinting and holding his forehead. To his astonishment, Kyungsoo was there, blinking up at him with large eyes.

“K-Kyungsoo?”

“You called?” he asked softly, walking in and closing the door behind him. He noticed how bright the room was, and half-closed the curtains, making Luhan smile a little.

“Thanks.”

“It’s okay. How are you feeling?”

quietly in pain, Luhan sat up in his elbows, wincing and stretching his neck. Kyungsoo swung himself up onto the top bunk, and sat cross-legged at the other end of the mattress.

Luhan had never really been close with Kyungsoo, and to have him sitting on his bed and staring so intently at him with those painfully large eyes was undoubtedly a little intimidating.

“F-Fine…why…why aren’t you at work?”

Kyungsoo smiled, but only with his lips. His eyes stayed expressionless.

“I offered to stay home to care for you. The managers aren’t happy, but you’re sick. I can’t leave you here like this.”

Sitting up on his knees, Kyungsoo leaned forward and picked up the thermometer beside Luhan’s pillow, prodding at the edges of Luhan’s lips. Obediently, the elder opened his mouth, and Kyungsoo slid it in with much more care than Yixing.

“Still high,” he said quietly, “I’ll go and bring you some pills.”

He climbed down the bunk ladder and left the room, returning after a few minutes with a cup of water and red tablets in his palm.

“Here, sip slowly when you’re done swallowing.”

“Thanks.”

Kyungsoo stood beside the bed, hands clenching and unclenching around the bars of the barriers, staring up at Luhan’s pale face.

“How… long was I asleep for?”

“About two hours.”

Luhan nodded, finishing the water and handing the empty cup to Kyungsoo.

“You didn’t have to stay back, you know,” Luhan whispered, lying back down and pulling the blankets over him. Kyungsoo reached over the barriers, and pulled them away, frowning.

“I wanted to take care of you.”

They met eyes again, and Kyungsoo gave him the same meaningless smile, before leaving the room once more.

Luhan waited for his return, but he dozed off before it came.



 [ a/n ] messyyyyy messy messy messy this silly billy fanfiction. i know it starts off awkwardly and flips around and ends awkwardly but i had to cut off the chapter here for the sake of word length...man how annoying is this uGH. anyway there will be a continuation for this chapter in the next chapter so yeah i know it's kinda stupid and ends stupidly but yay thank you to the people that comment. those few of you that comment every chapter; you have no idea how happy you make me please say it because i just really like to hear from you guys and you don't need to be scared because even if your comment is short and you think it sounds kind of mean or abrupt it still means so much to me ;u; thank you to everyone for all your lovely lovely support <3
ALSO LMAO SAME WORD COUNT AS CHAPTER ONE EXCEPT THIS CHAPTER IS ONE WORD LONGER

word count: 1688