How It Began

From Nobody to Somebody[HIATUS]

Super Junior- Why I Like You
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

"Ding Dong~"

"Noona~~!" Jongin cheered, quickly jumping up from the couch and over to the door.

"Jongin really likes her doesn't he…?" Minseok chuckled as the younger boy let the girl in.

"The two of them have been attached at the hip ever since Jongin got here back in 2007; they treat each other like siblings," Suho explained with a smile.

"Good morning everyone~" Mei Hwa greeted as she and Jongin entered the living room. "Good morning Yixing-ge," she added so that the boy didn't feel left out.

"You're over a bit early aren’t you?" Kris laughed.

"I woke up nice and early to make you guys a nice home-made breakfast and you sass me first thing; no food for you!" Mei Hwa huffed, giving him a glare.

"Did you say food??" Chanyeol grinned, his full attention instantly on the girl.

"Oh no, please don't tell me you eat like Minho-oppa…"

"You should have seen him last night," Sehun chuckled.

"Well then apparently I have to monitor your intake of breakfast then; I made some for Youngho and Minkwan too," Mei Hwa claimed, moving into the kitchen to sort out the food she had brought. "Where are they anyways?"

"Minkwan went out a couple minutes ago and I think Youngho's still sleeping," Suho replied as he and the others followed after her. "Would you like me to wake him up?"

"No that's ok, I can do it," she snickered.

As she handed out the trays of food, she bounced around the boys with a wide grin on her face, the new trainees watching her with confused looks.

"Where's she going?" Chanyeol asked, leaning backwards on his chair to watch her bounce down the hall towards their rooms.

"She's going to go wake up Youngho," Kris chuckled, quickly grabbing a pair of chopstick and digging into the meal.

"Is that alright for her to do?" Minseok asked, sounding slightly worried.

"Don't worry, she's like the older sister he never wanted," Jongin laughed.

"JOHNATHAN KRISPEY!!! WAKEY WAKEY EGGS AND BAKEY!!!"

The four boys jumped when Mei Hwa's voice seemed to rip through the once quite air, her shouting quickly followed by a loud thump.

"WHY CAN'T YOU WAKE ME UP LIKE A NORMAL HUMAN BEING!!!"

"Needless to say he's awake now," Suho sighed, not able to hold the small laugh in his voice.

A couple seconds later, Mei Hwa returned to the kitchen, toting a very tired looking Seo Youngho along behind her by the wrist.

"Here, I brought you guys over some breakfast," Mei Hwa laughed, handing him his portioned food after pushing him into his seat.

"I thought you were kidding when you said eggs and bacon," Youngho chuckled after lifting the cover off of the food.

"How dare you assume I would lie about bacon! I'm hurt Johnny!" Mei Hwa feigned, giving him a pout. "After all, it is what your country's "hat" is known for."

"And our beer," Kris added with a smirk.

"Amen~!" Mei Hwa agreed, pumping her fist into the air.

"Aren't you going to eat Noona?" Sehun asked, noticing she was simply drinking a glass of milk.

"I'm alright, I ate with the girls this morning at the café down the street," she replied with a smile.

The boys continued to eat while Mei Hwa perched herself on the counter and scrolled through her phone. She soon held it up to her ear and waited, some of the boys watching her.

"Ya, Jaejoong Junior I brought food where are you!" Mei Hwa huffed.

Laughter could be heard on the other end making Mei Hwa roll her eyes.

"Yes, yes, your morning walks are indeed beautiful, but so are full stomachs, and I'd really like to not to have to take you back to the hospital because you fainted from hunger during practise again." She paused for a moments and crinkled her eyebrows. "Well I made lots so tell him to come over too if he wants."

She nodded a couple times before hanging up, turning her attention back to the eight inquiring looks she was getting.

"Jino's following Minkwan back… such a mooch," she huffed, sliding off of the counter to rinse her glass in the sink.

A couple minutes later, the front door opened and two more boys walked in.

"Mmmm I smell food~" the older of the two beamed, seeing the trays of food on the table.

"You're such a mooch Jino, go make your own food for once…" Mei Hwa huffed, turning back to the dishes with Kris.

"Why would I do that when yours tastes so much better?" Jino snickered, quickly stealing a container after handing one to Minkwan.

"Flattery gets you nowhere!" Mei Hwa barked.

"Especially with Noona," Jongin laughed.

"Unless you're Minseok," Kris teased, his voice barely above a whisper so none of the boys heard it but Mei Hwa did.

"YA! DO YOU WANT TO DIE!?" Mei Hwa roared, spraying him with the nozzle.

The boys burst out laughing at the now drenched teen, Kris giving Mei Hwa an unimpressed look while she stuck her tongue out at him.

"Well, I hate to dine and dash, but the three of us have to go over to headquarters for some extra practise," Jino claimed, scooping up his and Minkwan's empty plates and handing them to Mei Hwa. "Thanks for the food Mei Hwa!"

"Thank you Noona~!" Youngho shouted from the door.

The three departed and Mei Hwa finished the dishes while Kris went to go change.

"We should play your game Noona; the one you played with us last year, to get to know each other," Jongin called from the living room.

"Jongin do you remember how hard it was to play with Kris because he couldn't understand a word you were saying? Yixing-ge's going to be the same way," Mei Hwa scolded, coming into the room.

"So translate like you did for Hyung!" Jongin whined. "I want to play~!"

Mei Hwa rolled her eyes and walked over so that she could lean down to Yixing's height, the boy turning and giving her a questioning look.

"When we get a group of new trainees, we like to play a small game to get to know each other, would you be willing to play with us?" she asked.

"I don't mind… but how will I play…?" Yixing replied, giving her a confused look.

"I can translate for you if you'd like; I did last year for Kris," she offered, giving him a smile.

Yixing nodded with a smile of his own making Jongin cheer.

"So how do we play?" Chanyeol asked, shifting forward on the couch.

Mei Hwa held up a finger telling them to wait and walked over to her bag. She shuffled through it for a bit until she pulled out two decks of cards. When she sat down on the floor, Kris came out of their room with new clothes. As soon as he saw the decks he chuckled and sat on the couch beside Yixing.

"So how we usually play is by whichever card you draw: Diamonds mean you have to tell us a fact about yourself, Hearts mean you have to tell us something about your past, spades means you have to share and show us a talent, and club means you have to pick your favourite trait and tell us why it is your favourite. The number on the card is how many things you have to try and come up with, unless it's a club, because then you're just vain" she began with a laugh, pausing to let Kris translate for Yixing. "If you pick up a face card, so a King, Queen or Jack, you can chose to give it to someone else in the group, and if you draw an Ace, then you can switch it for a different type."

She got nods from the boys and she took out the cards to shuffle them. She broke it into two piles and set them side by side.

"Since I'm the one who started this whole mess, I'll draw first."

Mei Hwa picked up a card and laughed, turning it to show the boys the 10 of diamonds.

"Ohh, right away a high card," Chanyeol laughed.

"So that means you need to share ten facts about yourself?" Minseok confirmed.

Mei Hwa nodded and shifted so she was sitting on her bottom rather than her legs.

"Ten facts… OK, I guess I'll start off with the easy ones then. I was born in Canada to Chinese parents, I have two younger siblings, I was, and still am, the Vice Captain of my Track and Field team at school, I love cats, I became a trainee back in 2005, I can speak Chinese, English and now Korean fluently, I'm allergic to coconut, I love horror movies, I love shopping even more than horror movies…"

Mei Hwa paused to try and think of one last fact about herself, scrunching her face in thought.

"And she's scared of the dark," Kris teased.

"Why are you picking on me today!?!" Mei Hwa whined, giving him a pout.

"Call it redemption," Kris grinned.

"FOR WHAT!?"

"You're seriously scared of the dark??" Chanyeol snickered.

Mei Hwa's posture shrank and she trained her eyes on the floor.

"I'm not scared of the dark… I'm scared of what could be hiding in it…"

"That makes no sense," Sehun snorted, raising an eyebrow.

Mei Hwa didn't reply, simply continuing to stare at the floor.

"OK how about I draw next…" Suho claimed, trying to change the now tense topic.

The game continued on throughout the afternoon into the late evening, Mei Hwa dragging Youngho and Minkwan to play with them when the two got home from practise. When the two fell asleep however, they agreed to call it quits, the boys dragging the two to their beds while Mei Hwa offered to cook some dinner for them as the sun had already begun to set.

"Hmmm… what can I make what can I make~♪" she sang, looking through the cupboards for some ideas.

She spotted a box near the back of the cupboard and pulled it out, raising an eyebrow with a smirk.

"Beijing fried rice it is," she chuckled, moving around to get all of the pans and utensils needed.

"Would you like any help?"

Mei Hwa turned to see Suho standing in the doorway with his usual calm smile.

"I'm not making Ramen Joonmyeon-oppa, I'm making an actual meal," she teased.

Suho pouted but couldn't stop himself from chuckling, shrugging and leaving to go sit with the others.

After putting the finishing touches on the food, Mei Hwa turned off the stove and portioned the rice onto eight plates.

"Dinner bell~" she sang, placing the dishes into the sink.

Chanyeol was naturally at the table first, the others following after him at a calmer pace before sitting down.

"Thank you for the food Noona~!" Jongin sang before digging in.

"Yes, thank you Mei Hwa," the others chorused.

"It feels like home," Yixing laughed.

"And that's what's most important," Mei Hwa agreed, giving him a smile.

Kris chuckled while the others exchanged shrugs, quickly devouring their food.

"Chanyeol did you chew!?" Mei Hwa gawked, seeing his already clean plate.

"But it was so good~~" he grinned.

"You're going to make yourself upset if you inhale your meals like that," she scolded.

"What are you my mother?" he huffed, giving her a pout.

"Park Chanyeol! How many times has Umma told you to chew!" Mei Hwa huffed, changing her voice and shaking her chopsticks at him.

The boys burst into laughter as Chanyeol crossed his arms over his chest in defiance, Mei Hwa snickering and rolling her eyes.

Plates slowly emptied and the boys dashed away before Mei Hwa could give one of them dish duty making her pout.

"What am I, their caretaker? Aish…"

"Would you like some help?"

Mei Hwa turned away from the sink to see Minseok poking his head around the corner, a smile on his face.

"Sure!"

The older boy laughed and walked over as Mei Hwa squatted down to get the dish soap from under the sink.

"Well then, we're out of soap…"

"Hold on, I think there's some out in the closet," Minseok claimed, quickly leaving to retrieve it.

He navigated his way over to the closet and dug through it, pulling out the bottle when suddenly the lights went out.

"AW MAN!! I DIDN'T SAVE!!!"

"Sehun be quiet Youngho's sleeping!"

Minseok rolled his eyes and made his way back into the kitchen. "Here Mei Hwa I found-"

The boy blinked in confusion when he failed to locate anyone in the dimly lit kitchen. He stepped around the table and stopped when he saw a silhouette crouched down on the floor.

"Mei…. Hwa…?"

Although he could only make out her shape, the boy could clearly see the girl's body shaking, her hands covering her ears as if trying to block out the sudden silence.

"Mei Hwa why are you-"

"You're seriously scared of the dark??" Chanyeol snickered.

Mei Hwa's posture shrank and she trained her eyes on the floor.

"I'm not scared of the dark… I'm scared of what could be hiding in it…"


Minseok's eyes softened and he slowly crouched down next to her, gently placing his hand on her shoulder.

"Mei Hwa… it's alright… there's nothing to be afraid of," he cooed, rubbing circles on her back. "Nothing's going to hurt you, I'm here."

When the girl simply whimpered, Minseok's eyes saddened. He shuffled closer to her and pulled her into his shoulder, Mei Hwa instantly clutching onto his shirt as if her life depended on it.

"It's OK… you're alright… you'll be fine," he chanted, rubbing her back and rocking her back and forth.

After a couple seconds he could feel Mei Hwa's body slowly relax, but her grip on his shirt never lessened. He pulled her back slightly to see that her eyes were still clenched shut, a couple tears having fallen down her cheeks.

"I'm going to go see if I can find a flashlight, OK?"

Before he could stand up, Mei Hwa tugged on his shirt, giving a squeak in protest.

"Don't leave me…"

Minseok crouched back down and held her elbows, giving them a small pull. Helping the girl to stand, her body began to quake again, both of her hands quickly grasping his shirt sleeve.

"C'mon, let's find you some light," he coaxed, gently tugging her along with him, out of the kitchen.

Mei Hwa followed along after him as the boy lead the way through the dorm, finally reaching the hall table. Minseok pulled the drawer open and rummaged through it until he pulled out a small flashlight. He turned towards the girl and clicked it on, Mei Hwa slowly opening her eyes when she noticed the light.

"Here," he offered her the light, Mei Hwa taking it with a shaky hand.

"It's still really dark," she whimpered, moving the light around the hall.

"I'll go find some candles for you, wait right here-"

When Mei Hwa's eyes widened in horror Minseok froze, his eyes softening.

"Alright, come on," he smiled, taking her hand and leading her out of the hall.

The two made their way towards the living room closet and Minseok began rummaging through it for some candles, Mei Hwa shining the light for him so he could see.

"Aha, found them," he cheered, pulling a couple small white candles out from the back along with a small box of matches.

Never releasing her hand, he lead her back over towards the couch and placed them on the coffee table. He handed Mei Hwa the box of matches after pulling one out with a chuckle.

"Hold still."

He dragged the match along the opening of the box, lighting it, then lit the candles, waving the flame out when they were all done.

"Feel better?" he asked, seating her and himself on the couch.

Mei Hwa nodded and pulled her knees up to her chin.

"I'm sorry…"

Minseok turned towards her, giving her a confused look.

"What for?"

"For dragging you down with my ridiculous fear," she mumbled, not taking her eyes off of one of the candles. "And thank you… for not laughing at me…"

Minseok's face fell and he brought their still connected hands up, Mei Hwa turning her head towards him slightly.

"Mei Hwa, there's nothing to be ashamed of; everyone is afraid of something. And no matter what happens, no matter how afraid you may get the next time the power goes out…" Minseok paused and raised his eyes to meet hers, giving her a kind smile.


























"Just know that'll I'll do my best to give you a little bit of light."

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Voila! The secret behind Miyong's crush on Xiumin is revealed! I loved writing this chapter~ So cute~ Makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside~

Thanks again for reading guys~! Thank you to everyone who Subscribed and Commented and a special shout-out to I-Love-EXO, superkitkat, hiJaeMi, DeiDeilove, -baekyeol, BlazingMelody, HunHaney, squishyfishy, FixRate, IIVEEH, squeakumz, iAmAnonnymous, Jeongsin and ParkSeoMai23 for Voting and Subscribing. You guys are all awesome and any and all comments are appreciated.

--Sour