The Maternity Ward 3: And It Gets Worse

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

To the surprise of nobody, many of the patients of the maternity ward requested to be transferred to other hospitals or released earlier than scheduled after the attack on the base.

It didn’t help that the disturbances in the area grew more frequent and stronger, especially in the nursery. The cries of the babies were heard nearly round the clock; Jessica and Heechul both ending up spending most of their time there in the event that Jimin decided to take another baby or cause another attack. Jimin’s own wails grew louder and longer every night and patients and staff members began reporting about fleeting touches and feeling something breathing against their neck quite literally ever since the incident.

Talks about performing an exorcism on Jimin instead began soon after everyone recovered and really, no one could be blamed for wanting to end the cases as easiest possible. But the girls and even Kris had adamantly refused to agree with it; the females pointing out that they didn’t expect the rest of the team to understand how Jimin feels as a mother while Kris merely stated that it was more than likely that they were going to end up suffering the repercussions of doing an exorcism.

“We have to find the boy.” Kris said firmly. “It’s the only way to help her pass on peacefully.”

“But easier said than done though, isn’t it?” Heechul pretty much glared at the files sprawled on the long table. “We lost our one solid clue.”

“I think.” Changmin pinched the bridge of his nose and sighed. “I think we have to finish what’s left of the list.”

“I think that’s the best idea.” Siwon replied as he came in the base; a piece of paper in his hand. “Look what I have.”

“What is it, oppa?” Sooyoung asked as they all huddled around him.

“A list of staff members seen in or near the nursery the night directly preceding Jimin’s son’s birth.”

“You, my friend, are a lifesaver.” Kyuhyun plucked the said piece of paper from the older man’s hand, digging through the heaps of files on the table in search for the list of hospital staff from April 1994. “Now all we have to do is to cross-reference this with the names of those we haven’t visited yet so we can narrow down the people we have to pay a visit to.”

The rest of the team waited with bated breath as Kyuhyun proceeded to match the names from both lists, marking the names that both sets had. It took quite a lot of effort, patience and the time but when he had finished and presented both lists to the team, they stared at the names in disbelief, finding that the lists only had one name in common.

“Shin Mikyung?” Yunho read out loud, absently rubbing the bandage that covered the wound on his forearm. “She is – or was – a nurse, according to the lists.”

“It matches what Sooyoung saw in her vision.” Kyuhyun pointed out. “I say let’s go and pay her a visit right now.”

“I’ll stay behind.” Jessica informed the team as she headed for her bag and took out her writing materials. “I need to make protective charms for the patients and guests. I don’t know if they’ll hold up against Jimin when she’s pissed off but it’s worth a try.”

“Heechul oppa and I are staying behind.” Seohyun spoke up next after getting confirmation from the shaman. “We were planning to do some rituals in the patients’ rooms to help out.”

“Maybe we can do one for the nursery, if you’re up for it.” Heechul sent Jessica a questioning look.

“Sure, that works.”

Changmin nodded. “Anyone else not hauling themselves to the parking lot with us?”

“I’ll stay behind.” Kris replied after a moment’s pause. “I need to assess how bad the damage is on the equipment.”

Sooyoung winced at that. “How much will it cost to replace or fix the damaged equipment?”

A look of amusement crossed his face at that. “They’re insured.”

“Oh.” A beat passed. “I’ll bet my savings that it was your idea to have them insured because I’m sure as hell that Tweedledee and Tweedledumb didn’t come up with that bright idea.”

“Hey!” The twins protested at that; Kyuhyun speaking for the two of them. “What do you mean by that?”

She shrugged. “Exactly what you think I mean.”

“Hey!”

`~`~`~`~`~`

Amber looked at the piece of paper in her hands and read the address once again before she looked up at the modest two-storey house they were all standing outside of. “This is the place. No mistake.”

“Nothing’s going to happen if we just stand here.” Siwon moved towards the gate, pressing the doorbell.

Everyone heard the ring of the doorbell echo inside the house and they

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter