Respite 1: A Needed Break

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Wow…” Yoona breathed in awe as she stepped through the main double doors of Jessica’s family island villa.

“Wow indeed.” Kyuhyun nodded in agreement, entering after Yoona and her suitcase with his own luggage.

With four straight cases taking their toll on the whole team, especially the Julia Han case, Jessica had immediately, gladly and generously offered her family’s Jeju Mediterranean-style estate for vacation. But considering how their supposed work turned vacation in Okinawa, Changmin, Kyuhyun and Sooyoung were banned from accepting any case throughout the duration of their vacation. It wasn’t that they were planning to at the very place, but the rule was nonetheless placed just to be sure. Siwon had also managed to make the trip, having been granted by Chief Kangta as a reward for the job well done in their last case.

“Seriously, you two!” Sooyoung’s exasperated sigh was heard from outside as Kris and Amber came inside. “I can carry my own things! My shoulders and my hands are working just fine.”

“Your wrists aren’t.” Yunho offered by way of explanation, staring pointedly at the fading scrapes and bruises on both her wrist before he stepped inside the villa with his luggage and Sooyoung’s duffle bag and stash of snacks in tow, wisely keeping the latter from Changmin’s grasp.

“What he said.” Changmin smirked; the tall man toting Sooyoung’s suitcase as he followed behind the older man.

The brunette opened to protest, but the hand Siwon placed on her shoulder stopped her. “Let them. They won’t be happy any other way.” His gaze shifted to the silent woman beside Sooyoung; a frown making its way to his handsome face. “Seohyun, are you okay?”

“I’m okay, oppa.” With a slight nod and a smile that was barely there, Seohyun hurried inside the villa, leaving Sooyoung and Siwon to exchange worried glances behind her.

“She’s been off since we got to the airport today.” Heechul commented, coming up to the two with a frown of his own.

“We’re all recovering, aren’t we?” Jessica sighed before gesturing to the door with her hand. “We should all go in. Everyone’s waiting.”

The main double doors led to the aptly decorated foyer that housed the staircase to the second floor, and a large, spacious great room-style living room, the biggest area of the house, that warmly welcomed them. Sofas and couches of different lengths and sizes, a coffee table, two wide, floor to ceiling bookshelves filled with books of every kind and a small hallway that led to a small office, the lone bedroom and bathroom in the ground floor all went with the warm, natural and bright Mediterranean theme and earthy color palette. Adjacent to the great room is the equally roomy kitchen and dining room, boasting a peninsula eating bar, nook breakfast dining area, family-style dining table, walk-in pantry with cabinets, kitchen island, and butler s pantry, much to the delight of those who actually know how to cook. Wooden French double doors found by the side of the dining table led to the covered rear porch, basketball court, infinity pool and the a cobbled stone path to the beach.

A quick look at the second floor told them that the main hall housed a pool table, a sofa and a few couches, along with the door to the master’s bedroom and one of the guest rooms, as well as the sliding doors that led to the terrace that overlooked the pool and basketball court below. A hall down the right of the stairs led to the four other bedrooms they were allowed to occupy, a bathroom and the recreational room (fondly referred to as the TV room), which had a loft balcony that also overlooked the courtyard below.

Jessica waited until everyone was assembled in the great room, standing by the currently unlit fireplace when she spoke. “I think before we can do anything else, we all have to agree on the rooming arrangements. As you know, the master’s bedroom is off-limits so that leaves us with four rooms – one down here and four upstairs. One room’s mine, the other one’s my sister’s and the other three are guest rooms. I can take a roomie and three people can fit in my sister’s room as long as someone’s willing to sleep on the air mattress.”

 “I’m pretty sure the boys won’t be comfortable sleeping in a girl’s bedroom.” Yoona pointed out from her spot on the carpet with Sooyoung and Yunho. “I can room with you if you want.”

“Is it okay for you three to share a room?” When Amber, Seohyun and Sooyoung made no protest, she turned her attention to the boys.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter