Cruella 3: Repeating History

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

There was really no other choice but to conduct a séance, as what was originally planned.

It hadn’t been overlooked that Joon Aejung was the most violent spirit they had encountered so far and Kris, Heechul and Jessica immediately took precautions. The children and the staff members had been placed under strict orders to stay in their quarters and keep all doors and windows locked. Boa had easily protested the instruction, insisting that she be there in the backyard for the séance; Yunho unsurprisingly and easily shooting down the idea. But before a pseudo-World War could break between the two, Changmin and Kyuhyun quickly intervened, saying that while they do understand Yunho’s reasons for not wanting her there, they likewise understand why she needed to be there. And so it had been decided that Boa was to be allowed to join the séance, provided that she would always do as she was told and to run back inside if and when things got worse.

Donghae had invited himself over for the séance as well, much to Changmin and Kyuhyun’s overall chagrin. While his curiosity about his friends’ work was one of the reasons why he involved himself, he reasoned that he and Kris could work together should things get worse; the Chinese native taking the time to brief the young doctor about past séances and their sometimes physically harmful outcomes. Donghae had frowned at the information he received and the rest of them could only watch on as he eventually gave the twins an earful about not consulting a real medical practitioner to help Kris much earlier.

It hadn’t taken long before the backyard had been set up and minutes before the clock struck six in the evening, most of the team found his or her place; save for Yoona, Donghae and Amber who were to stay behind in the base and watch from the monitors. Seohyun, Jessica and Heechul sat around the small table in the center of the open space with a couple of candles and incense sticks lit up on it. For their part, Kris, Changmin, Kyuhyun and Sooyoung stood off to the side nearest the orphanage while Boa and Yunho were made to hide behind a wide tree. The instruction was likewise easily protested; Changmin pointedly explaining that they didn’t need Aejung to be agitated from the get go.

As the clock stuck six, all was silent, save for the silent chanting from the ritual table. The lights of the candles flickered before they ultimately died out; Seohyun’s eyes falling close as she swayed and slumped to the side. All was silent, truly silent, before Joon Aejung’s spirit picked up Seohyun’s body from the ground and opened her eyes.

Heechul was already crouching; his eyes cautious as he motioned for Jessica to step back, biting back a hiss when she stayed put. “Joon Aejung?”

Kris had taken a step forward with Changmin and Kyuhyun right behind, ready should Aejung suddenly and violently strike. However, the team was caught off guard when fear suddenly crossed Seohyun’s face as Aejung scooted backwards a few inches and curled up into a ball, murmuring softly to herself as she rocked back and forth. Kris took another step forward but Changmin held out an arm, keeping him in place.

Because they had been confined to just hiding behind a tree, Boa and Yunho carefully peeked out. “What the hell’s going on?” Yunho whispered.

“I don’t know.” Kyuhyun whispered back in reply.

The spirit was obviously distressed and Jessica tried to speak to her once in more in what she hoped was the most soothing tone she could muster. “Aejung, what’s wrong?”

“It hurts…”

Jessica and Heechul exchanged a look. “What hurts?”

“I want them to stop…” Aejung murmured. “It hurts… They won’t stop…”

“They?” The priestess repeated. “Did someone hurt you?”

She nodded, but kept Seohyun’s face hidden from view. “Over and over and over again… They said I’m a bad girl and bad girls should be punished…”

Heechul blinked in surprise. “Are you sure we got the right spirit?”

Jessica elbowed him not so kindly in the ribs before she turned her attention back to Aejung. “Who hurt you, Aejung?”

“Ms. Hong.” She replied. “Teacher Cha told me to go to his room later at eleven and make sure not to get caught… He said I have a problem and he’s been making me drink this medicine. He said he’ll tell me what my problem is in his room and I don’t know why…”

Boa gasped, so shocked that she lost her footing and stumbled into plain view. “She was ually assaulted?”

Seohyun’s head snapped at the sound of her voice and Aejung turned her body to face Boa; the unadulterated fear and helplessness that was once in her gaze turned into something more angry and menacing. Yunho cursed under his breath and knowing that trying to hide was now futile, stepped out to shield Boa from view.

“Well, well, well… Jung Yunho and Kwon Boa. Partners in crime back then, weren’t you? Come here. You’ve been very naughty kids.” When neither made a move, a feral shriek escaped her lips. “Come here or else I’ll hurt this body you made me wear… or I’ll just stay here for good. Her spirit’s gonna fade if she gets locked out of her own body.”

“Stop her! Now!” Kyuhyun yelled. “Get her out of Seohyun!”

Aejung shrieked once more as Kris and Changmin darted forward and caught her before she could get away; Changmin locking Seohyun’s arms behind her as Heechul stepped forward, pressing his forefinger and middle finger in the center of Seohyun’s forehead. Jessica and Kris hovered behind him, pressing a hand each palm flat on his back as they transferred much needed energy to push Aejung’s spirit out of Seohyun’s body; Sooyoung, Boa and Yunho staying off to the side; the youngest of the trio’s arms around the two.

Seohyun’s eyes rolled back into her head and closed; her body collapsing and deftly caught by Changmin. “Is Aejung out?”

Heechul heaved, bending over to rest his hands on his knees. “Yeah… She’s out…”

Seohyun stirred in Changmin’s arms; her bleary eyes soon opening as Changmin helped her back to her feet. “Are you okay?” Changmin asked.

“I’m fine.” When Kris made a move to probably take her to the infirmary, she shook her head.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter