Drift: Prologue

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The air was cool and lazy but it did nothing to dampen the warmth she was feeling.

The smile on her face was genuine and a bit sly; as if it hid secrets that she would like to both keep secret and share to a chosen few. And in a way, it did. She could still feel his lips against hers and the warm, tingling feeling that his kisses evoked. They were the softest pair of lips she had ever kissed and if she had her way, his were the only ones she’d ever kiss and nip at for the rest of her life.

The sky was painted a dark black but the stars had dotted it endlessly, keeping the bright full moon in company. She smiled once more as she straightened her dress and made sure that her long, silky raven hair held no remnants of what they did in secret. She’d turned, finding that he too was dressed and smiling at her. She wouldn’t have done something this risky before but she figured love could make people the wildest, craziest, weirdest things.

When he held out his hand to her, she did not hesitate in placing hers in it.

They skilfully found their way through the bushes and shrubs and trees even as they walked in the dark. The moon and the stars helped light their path as they went on their way, heading back to the car that he had parked by the sidewalk. Even in their haste, she found the time to admire the flowers that lined their path even if it was difficult to see them in the park. It was one of the reasons why she loved Gughwa Drive so much.

Sharing a secretive look, they rode the car, exchanging blissful grins as he started the engine. All good things must end, she supposed. It was time to head home.

The car had only moved away from the sidewalk when she heard the sound of an approaching car. The car stopped and she knew he wanted the other car to pass first. But the other car stopped right next to them. She glanced to the side, finding two people she assumed to be a couple like they were. The girl was pale and slim and her features resembled that of a doll. The boy had short raven hair and strong features.

They were smirking at her and her lover.

“I wonder what their problem is.”

The sound of a burnout is their reply.

Surprised, she watched as the other car stayed stationary yet the wheels kept spinning; the friction soon resulting to smoke. “It’s a challenge.” Her lover tells her. “They’re challenging us to a race.”

She looked back at the other car and found the smirks firmly planted on their faces. Even as the hesitance and fear lingered, the excitement and adrenaline washed over her and she gave her lover a firm nod. It was a challenge acc

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter