Unlucky Thirteen 1: The Unlucky Number

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Many arguments and equally many “Put it there. Move it to the left. No, that’s too much. Just a little more. There you go” later, the base looked like what it should.

They had been in Okinawa, Japan for two hours now – and running – and the moment that they had stepped out of the airport and into the waiting cars that their client had prepared for them, one thing is clear. Case first and vacation later. Though the fact was met by a lot of groans and sighs of disappointment, they knew it was unavoidable. All they could do was to solve the cast as fast as they could and then it’d be vacation.

As it were, Tiffany Hwang had generously provided them a large, spacious room for their base, complete with a mini bar, a kitchenette, a sitting room, a bathroom and a balcony. On either side of the base were the bedrooms they were going to occupy for the rest of their stay, one for the girls and one for the boys. All the accommodations were free, including those they were going to enjoy even after they completed the case.

It was clear that the hotel had its grand opening two months ago just by looking at the hotel itself. Everything was new, exquisitely furnished and expensive. Aside from the beach-front view that the hotel had to offer, it housed three restaurants, a cocktail bar, an infinity pool and a recreation center complete with a gym, basketball court, tennis court, sauna, yoga studio, game room and a boxing ring.

“Ms. Hwang was kind enough to provide us a list with a list of specific places with alleged disturbances.” Changmin announced as soon as everyone was assembled. “Kris is currently splitting the list up into three. Heechul hyung, Jessica and Seohyun, please perform purifying rituals on any spirit you encounter. Exercise caution. Yoona, Yunho and I will accompany you three. We can pair up later before we leave.”

“What will the rest of us do?” Sooyoung asked.

“Watch through the monitor.”

It was with that that the matter was settled. Once he handed the three sets of lists to Changmin, Kris set off to program their monitors and speakers; Amber assisting him with the task. Sooyoung soon disappeared into the kitchenette to order some food; Kyuhyun hot on her heels and forever grateful that even their room service was for free. A simple game of rock, paper, scissors settled the pairs for the rituals; Changmin accompanying Jessica, Yoona going with Heechul and Yunho teaming up with Seohyun.

Amber’s eyebrows rose when the room service came; Kris ignoring everything else as he kept his attention focused on three monitors. “You two sure are hungry.”

Kyuhyun snorted at that, thumbing toward the brunette eyeing the spread before her. “She can eat you, Jessica and Seohyun combined on any given day. Of course we had to get a lot.”

“Hey!”

He opened his mouth to say something when Sooyoung gasped out of the blue, falling to her knees as her first vision for the case consumed her.

`~`~`~`~`~`

“What the… What’s going on?” Sooyoung looked around in panic as she found herself at the back of the elevator. Screams enveloped the cramped space as those she was with, though she couldn’t see their faces, either attempted to pry the elevator doors open or look for another way out.

It was then that Sooyoung realized that the elevator shaft was on fire.

“Help! Somebody help us!”

“Help, please! Please!”

“The emergency stop isn’t working! We’re trapped!”

Sooyoung opened to scream yet it died at the tip of her tongue as thick, dark smoke filled the elevator; fits of coughing soon replacing the screams, sobs and pleas for help. Tears brimmed her eyes as the smoke made it much harder to see, losing her vision slowly until all she could see were just flames and the charcoal-colored air.

`~`~`~`~`~`

Amber’s eyes widened as Sooyoung, still in the midst of her vision, choked loudly and clutched as if she was suffocating. “Oppa, help her! Do something!”

Kris and Kyuhyun both made a move to help when Sooyoung snapped back to her senses, panting and out of energy; a crazed look in her eyes as she looked around the room. Every vision always exhausted her; the realization making Kris frown heavily, wondering what effect her visions had on her heath. Amber, Kris and Kyuhyun waited until she had sufficiently regained her bearings; her gaze seemingly more focused as she finally looked at them.

“Soo…” Kris took another step towards her but when she unconsciously flinched, he froze.

You need to learn how to hold your own.

“I… I’m okay.” Shaking, she got to her feet on her own, mustering an equally shaky smile in gratitude. “I’m okay.”

Kyuhyun was about to question her about her latest vision when he heard a very familiar yelp of terror in his mind. As if on cue, Kris had rushed back to the monitors; his eyes widening at what he saw before he urgently called for the other three to come. The four could only watch in horror through the monitor as Changmin and Jessica backed away from an invisible enemy; their jaws dropping as Changmin was thrown out the sliding door that led to the balcony. His back landed harshly and sharply against the railing; the dark haired man soon getting the wind knocked out of him again when Jessica was hurled at him.

“Come on!” Kyuhyun was out the door in an instant; the three others right behind him as he ran down the hallway.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter