Drift 1: Victims

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It seemed that winter came at full force this year.

Sooyoung sighed, watching as the breath she expelled misted the glass door of the elevator, and wanted nothing else but crawl back under the thick covers of her bed. She was adequately dressed for the weather, her thin frame bearing the multiple thick layers of clothing she wore, but it was still rather too cold. She supposed part of the reason why was because she was in a hospital again and the place always made her feel chilly.

Behind her stood Yoona, Amber and Siwon; the two similarly dressed as chatted quietly about the reason why they were back in the hospital once again. The team had heard about the accidents occurring in Gughwa Drive but was still surprised upon learning that they were of possible paranormal nature; Changmin and Kyuhyun instantly agreeing when Yoona and Sooyoung volunteered to interview the latest victims. Yunho would’ve gone but he had been placed on temporary leave by the entire time following the case at his former orphanage; the raven haired man quickly protesting it but he had backed down when Yoona and Sooyoung joined forces with Boa.

“The names of the victims are Song Jaerim and Kim Soeun.” Siwon reminded them once they reached the right floor and the elevator doors parted to let them through. “They only received minor scratches and bruises but obviously, they are very shaken. The hospital’s keeping them overnight for precaution.”

Amber nodded. “Are you leading the questioning or should Sooyoung unnie do it?”

The young officer mulled over it for a moment before he shifted his attention to Sooyoung as they came to a stop outside one of the hospital rooms. “I think you should do it.”

“No problem.” Sooyoung in a sharp breath before she knocked twice on the door. Putting on her friendliest, most comforting smile, she slowly twisted the door knob and pushed the door open, finding the two victims on separate beds. “Song Jaerim and Kim Soeun?”

Jaerim exchanged a look with his girlfriend, reaching out to hold her hand in his, before he hesitantly replied. His sharp, striking face was partly covered in bandages for the he sustained and Sooyoung could see more on his arms from what she presumed were caused by shards from broken glass. Soeun’s beautiful, fair face was likewise covered in a few bandages though it seemed like it was the only extent of her injuries; Sooyoung deducing that Jaerim must’ve had protected his girlfriend during the crash. “Yes, that’s us. Who are you?”

“I’m Choi Sooyoung and these are Officer Choi Siwon, Amber Liu, and Im Yoona.” Sooyoung introduced the rest of her companions once they were all inside. “We’re from the Psychic Research and Investigation Center.”

“Psychic Research and Investigation Center?” Soeun repeated, her eyes suddenly widening. “That means it was real then? We weren’t seeing things? You believe us?”

“We’re here to help you.” Sooyoung settled on one of the chairs closest to the two beds. “Can you tell us what happened?”

The couple exchanged another look once more. “The traffic was insane because of the snow so we decided to take a detour to my parents’ place… we were going to meet them for dinner actually.” Jaerim explained. “The snow was really think on the road so I had to drive slowly and carefully and we were halfway in when this red four-seater car came from behind and stopped beside us… and that’s when the burnout happen. You’re familiar with how drag racing goes?”

“Yes, we are.” Siwon nodded. “What happened next?”

“I know we were being challenged to a race but I’m not crazy or some reckless driver. It’s snowing so hard and the roads are slippery because of the snow so I drove on. I admit I sped up because I wanted to get out of Gughwa Drive since I had this feeling that something’s not right with the other car. I didn’t do a burnout or anything that would say that I was accepting the challenging. I just really drove off.” Jaerim visibly shivered at the memory. “But the red car drove off after us and I was waiting for them to pass us because I really wasn’t interested in whatever kind of race. But then Soeun here noticed that it seemed like they stopped so I looked up at the rear view mirror and that’s when…”

“That’s when…?” Amber prodded gently.

“That’s when we

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter