Unlucky Thirteen 4: The Sufferings of Past

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Was I wrong, Kyu?"

His brother’s hand stilled before it could reach the closet. “You said what she had to hear, brother."

A long, sad sigh escaped his lips. “She hates me."

Kyuhyun grabbed a shirt from the closet before he turned towards him. “You know she doesn’t mean it."

“I probably shouldn’t have said that part about her parents." Changmin ran a hand down his face. “I should’ve known better."

“Probably… but she still needed to hear it, even if she didn’t know she did."

`~`~`~`~`~`

It was nearing three o’clock and as planned, the team found themselves in the lobby of the floor they were staying in. Everything for the ritual was ready and the guests who had resided on the same floor had been moved to other rooms thanks to Tiffany, who did it in the guise of upgrading their accommodations as a Halloween treat. It was just the team in that floor and no one else.

Everyone was silent as they went about their own tasks; something that was unusual for the normally lively and chatty group. Changmin and Sooyoung still avoided each other though it nearly confused everyone else as to who did avoiding. One thing was clear though and that was the fact that Kyuhyun was caught right in the middle; the older of the two twins uncharacteristically quiet as well. It didn’t help that Sooyoung was acting like her usual self, sans her obvious ignorance of Changmin, tagging along with Yoona and Yunho most of the time.

“I swear, if those two don’t settle this anytime soon, I’ll bash their heads together." Heechul grumbled under his breath as he took his place around the table for the ritual.

Jessica rolled her eyes. “If you think that’ll solve anything, you’re out of your mind."

Seohyun was about to take a seat when a loud thud came from behind her. She turned around, finding Sooyoung slumped against the wall. “Unnie!"

“It’s alright… just another vision. I can manage." She held up a hand when moved to rush to her aid, gasping when her vision slowly blackened as she struggled to straighten up. As an afterthought, she added, “I’d appreciate it if someone catches me after though."

And then, all was dark.

`~`~`~`~`~`

All she could feel was extreme heat.

Slowly, Sooyoung opened her eyes; a horrified gasp escaping her lips as she realized she was standing inside an elevator. The door had parted open and all she could see were big, strong flames and thick, pitch black smoke. She coughed repeatedly in her hand as the smoke entered her lungs as she heaved for breath. It was getting harder and harder to see as she inched her way towards the button panel.

But before she could get anywhere it, she was knocked into the very back of the elevator.

“Hurry! Hurry!" Someone cried in alarm. “Close the door! We have to go!"

It was a second or two later when the elevator doors slid shut and the lift descended. Gingerly, Sooyoung steadied herself on her own two feet; her eyes widening when she realized that she was with thirteen people – the same thirteen individuals who perished in the office complex fire forty years ago. These were there final moments, and she was going to witness it all.

Sooyoung opened to try to warn them but no voice came out; the brunette gripping in horror. She tried to reach for any of the passengers but her hand just went through them. Tears welled in her eyes as she realized that there was nothing she could do, but watch them all die.

The lift had reached midway between the eleventh and twelfth floor when it screeched to a halt; the females’ screams resounding painfully in the ear. Someone went to press the buttons on the panel but nothing worked. They were stuck. The door wouldn’t open and the whole complex was on fire.

“Let us out of here!"

“Somebody help! Please!"

“Help! Help! I don’t wanna die!"

“We’re trapped! We’re gonna die, we’re gonna die, we’re gonna die…"

“Goddamn it, no!"

Sooyoung sunk

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter