Outtake: Doctor

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

According to Wikipedia, "An outtake is a portion of a work (usually a film or music recording) that is removed in the editing process and not included in the work's final, publicly released version."

I am well aware that this is not a film (how I wish it is though lol) or a music recording but the term outtake seemed a lot better to use than extra scene or side scene or something.

 

 

It gave him an overwhelming sense of relief to know – to see – that they would be okay. It had been a stressful couple of days and he knew things could’ve gotten so much worse, but there was no use in dwelling in that anymore. They were all alive and, though some needed a lot more rest than the others, that was more than enough for him. Sighing inaudibly, Changmin surveyed the now silent hospital room. Kris, Kyuhyun, and Sooyoung had all gone back to sleep once they had been fussed over by everyone. Siwon, Yoona, and Yunho had arrived soon after Sooyoung had woken up earlier to check up on the three and give updates on the case; the officer leaving once the visiting hours were over, totting Jessica, Heechul, Seohyun, and Yoona with him. It was through Jessica that Yunho and Amber got to stay behind with him, pointing out to the nurses that one person simply couldn’t look after three recuperating patients.

As it was, Amber parked herself and her chair on the space between Kris and Kyuhyun’s bed; her folded arms serving as a pillow on the former’s bed as she slept rather peacefully in her seat. For his part, Yunho had his chair against the wall by Sooyoung’s bed; the dark man making a valiant effort to stay awake, only to eventually succumb to his body’s demand for rest. He hadn’t said much since he arrived, Changmin noted, but rather, he hovered protectively around Sooyoung as if to assure himself that she would be alright. It was probably the way it was with Yunho, being the eldest and the only guy between him, Sooyoung, and Yoona. He was their big brother and that fact was as clear as day.

Changmin frowned a touch when he realized that his two sleeping friends were without blankets and so he soundlessly got up to his feet, stretching just a tad bit, before he quietly exited the hospital room to search for a nurse he could ask blankets from. But as soon as he closed the door shut and turned, he found himself face to face with someone he hadn’t seen in a while – a smiling, handsome man who’d been a big part of his and Kyuhyun’s childhood and who was one of the few from their past who knew what they were and what they did.

“Donghae.”

Lee Donghae grinned. “You and Kyu got yourselves in trouble, didn’t you?”

His gaze fell on the pristine lab coat that the other man was wearing. “You work here?”

“I am. Actually, I was just beginning my shift when I heard one of my colleagues shopping around for someone to take his place ‘cause apparently the brother of one of the patients was being too pissy for his liking.” His grin broadened. “Sounds familiar?”

“He was inefficient.” Changmin snorted, taking a step closer to the man. “So you’re the attending doctor now?”

The older man nodded once before he reached out and engulfed the younger man in a hug. “It’s good to see you, Min.”

“It’s good to see you too, Hae.”

Donghae pulled away and surveyed dark haired man’s tired face. “Would you like to head to my office? I got a coffee machine.”

“Sure, lead the way.”

The short walk to Donghae’s clinic had been silent, but Changmin knew that once there was more privacy, Donghae would be more than willing to fire question after question. It had been an accident how Donghae had come to learn but the paranormal side of their lives. They’d been in elementary then and both he and Kyuhyun were still getting used to their newly discovered capabilities. They snuck out to small patch of trees behind the school one day because Kyuhyun had been intent on riding his bike on more challenging terrain. As lack of luck would have it, one of the bike’s pedals had snapped off and Kyuhyun had wildly went off course. Changmin had stretched out his hand and used his Psychokinesis to stop the bike from speeding off. It had gone well, until they realized that a boy older than they were was standing a few feet away and saw the whole thing.

It would’ve scared any other kid, but Donghae had stood there, rooted in his

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter