Stolen and Replaced 1: The Partnership

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The air was colder than usual and, surprising no one, Cho Kyuhyun immediately complained about it. “Why is it so cold, damn it.”

“Your brother had the air conditioning units cleaned up.” Kris Wu absently replied, not looking up from the files he was busy organizing in one corner of the room. “So, they’re as good as new.”

He rolled his eyes at that before fixing a pointed look on the aforementioned brother of his. “Let me know about these things, will you?”

“Sorry.” Shim Changmin replied unapologetically. “Which reminds me, I got some money from your share of the funds to pay for the cleaning.”

“Bastard.”

Amber Liu shook her head from her spot beside Kris. “If I didn’t know better, I wouldn’t believe that you two are twins.”

“Fraternal twins.” Changmin and Kyuhyun emphasized in unison; the taller of the two adding after a beat, “We’re different as different can be.”

“But you’re both still idiots.” Kim Heechul quipped from his seat, raising his hands in defense when the brothers glared at him.

“Is that what you say to the people who sign your pay check, you ahjussi?!”

Across him, Jessica Jung smirked. “Look who’s talking about being an idiot.”

Heechul scowled. “What do you mean by that?”

For her part, Seo Joohyun, or Seohyun as she was most frequently called, could only sigh and shake her head. “Here we go again.”

Kris cleared his throat rather loudly, finally looking up from his work to pin the twins with a look. “Aren’t you supposed to get the meeting started in… I don’t know. Right now?”

The brothers exchanged a look at that and straightened up simultaneously before splitting up; each headed for one of the two heads of the table. “Sorry about that.” In a blink of an eye, easy-going Kyuhyun disappeared as was replaced by a side of him that was formal and busy-like. “As you all know and have noticed by now, there has been a steady lack of cases being reported to the center.”

“Although that it really is good news, Kyuhyun and I can’t help but wonder the cause behind it.” Changmin finished for his brother before glancing at where Kris and Amber were holed up. “What do you have so far?”

“Based on what I’ve gathered, it could possibly be because–” The sound of the doorbell cut him off; Kris pursing his lips in mild annoyance for being interrupted.

Amber was out of her chair in an instant. “I’ll go see who it is.”

                Everyone waited in silence as Amber exited the conference room; the sound of the main door of the office opening soon reaching their ears. They listened as Amber went on to greet whoever it was at the door; Changmin frowning a touch when the reply was too soft to be understood. But if their hunch was right, it was a girl.

“Please wait for one moment. Excuse me.” Amber smiled politely before she rushed back towards the conference room, opening the door slightly so that she could still her head inside; a look of pure amusement on her face. “We have a client who’s waiting to speak with you. Should I let them in?”

Kyuhyun let out a sigh of relief before he nodded. “Yes, please.”

                Amber nodded once, slipping back outside to relay the information to their guests. It didn’t take long before the door swung open again, wider than the first time, and Amber stepped in, moving to the side to hold the door open for their guest. It was when their client stepped inside that Kyuhyun and Changmin shot out of their seats; surprise and disbelief coloring their faces. If it was possible, Heechul, Jessica, Seohyun, Amber and even Kris blinked at the two; their attention soon falling on the tall, smiling brunette who entered the room followed by another slightly shorter brunette and bulky, raven haired man.

“Sooyoung?”

She arched an eyebrow. “Looks like you’ve seen a ghost.”

“Almost but not quite.” Changmin, being the closest one to where she stood, stepped away from the table to give her a hug. “It’s been a while, dork.”

“Long enough.” She grinned.

“Hey, where’s my hug?” Kyuhyun all but pouted, rounding the table to head their way. “Min, quit hogging her.”

Changmin kindly flipped his twin off. “I’m not hogging her.”

“I guess there are things that aren’t meant to change.” Sooyoung commented in amusement, reaching out to hug Kyuhyun as well.”

If it was again possible, everyone else not part of the trio blinked at the exchange. “Uh, excuse me?” Kim Heechul spoke up for the majority. “Lost people here.”

“Oh, right.” Kyuhyun pulled away from her and smiled sheepishly. “Guys, this is Choi Sooyoung. She’s a childhood friend of ours we haven’t seen in how many years.”

“That ahjussi is Kim Heechul.” Changmin easily ignored the glare sent his way. “The one beside him is Seo Joohyun or Seohyun while the one across him is Jessica Jung. The brooding-looking giant in the corner in Kris Wu and the one who greeted you at the door is Amber Liu.”

“It’s nice to meet you all.” Sooyoung bowed in greeting, before she gestured to her female companion first before the male. “This is Im Yoona and Jung Yunho.”

                Once all greetings were out of the way, Changmin and Kyuhyun resumed their seats on opposite ends of the table; Amber returning to her spot back with Kris, who had temporarily abandoned all the paperwork to pay closer attention to what was happening. Yoona settled on the empty seat beside Jessica with Sooyoung doing the same across the latter; Yunho seating himself beside her, finding himself to the right of Changmin.

“So, Soo…” Changmin propped his elbows on the table; his eyes solely fixed on his long-time friend. “What can the Psychic Research and Investigation Center do for you?”

`~`~`~`~`~`

                The silence was deafening and for a long while, it was the only there was, save for the soft sounds that Kris and Amber made when they took out their laptop and notepad respectively. The smile on Sooyoung’s face was gone, replaced a completely business-like look with a tinge of frustration visibly the depths of her eyes. It worried Changmin and Kyuhyun greatly that she came as a client, knowing what they knew about their childhood friend. Could it be? Inwardly, the twins shook their head. Anything but that.

“I received a case a week ago from yesterday. The client’s name is Park Hana, fifty-five years old, a widow with three children and the current owner of Honey’s Bed and Breakfast. She asked for my help to investigate disturbances that have been happening more frequently and stronger the past few weeks.”

“Disturbances?” Changmin repeated; his eyebrows furrowed.

Sooyoung nodded towards Yoona, who then got up and brought out a stack of thick folders out of the bag she had with her and distributed them to everybody.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter