Best Served Hot 4: Absence of Guilt

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Murdered?” Ryeowook repeated, his voice shaking slightly as he spoke, the man blanching so much so that Kris worried he was going to faint. “But we’ve known all these years that it was a drug-related problem.”

“Apparently, it’s just a cover story. We’re sorry you had to find out this way, Ryeowook.” Changmin replied with a sight, the two, along with Siwon, Kyuhyun, and Yunho standing by a tall, decades-old tree as they watched men dig up the grave of Noh Sangjun. Forensic experts hovered within and around the area, ready to move into action once the skeletal remains were exhumed from the ground. Official results could take weeks but there were findings that could be made right on the scene, which was really all the team needed to move forward. They needed to validate what the supposed spirit of Noh Sangjun told them.

“Ryeowook, what else do you know of Sangjun’s death?” Yunho asked.

“Well… what really stuck was that it was drug-related. He was involved in a drug cartel and…” He pursed his lips. "We really don’t know the specifics because it was all done so quickly and secretly. Great grandfather Deoksu was so disappointed, ashamed and disheartened that he didn’t even wish to see the body and let my grandfather handle everything. But he was really determined about it being kept from the public so they made up a story about it being a car accident.”

Siwon frowned all of a sudden. “Wait, hang on. They let Hyungwon… I mean, your grandfather handled the burial and the damage control?”

Ryeowook nodded. “Yes, why?”

“Do you know how Noh Sangjun’s body was found and how your grandfather found out?”

“I… No.” His eyebrows furrowed. “Like I said, everything happened between my grandfather and my great grandfather. My grandmother met grandfather after what happened so she never met… I really don’t know.”

Kyuhyun exchanged a grim look with his brother, knowing that the expression on Changmin’s face matched his own. But before anyone could say something, the team working on exhuming the remains of Noh Sangjun called for their attention, everyone else moving closer as a casket appeared into view and lifted from the grave. Ryeowook, Changmin, Kyuhyun, Yunho and Siwon were soon handed face masks to wear to ward off the stench, the men putting them on first before the casket was slowly opened, revealing the bones of Noh Sangjun.

Siwon intently watched as the forensics carefully examined the bones for a few minutes before he spoke, asking the all-important question. “What can you tell us so far?”

“We need to conduct all the tests to make sure but from what we’ve been able to see, some of the bones have evidences of trauma and have dents… the type associated with stab wounds.”

Ryeowook gasped, the man blanching even more than they all thought possible.

The twins exchanged a look once more and Yunho and Siwon knew, judging by the expression on their faces, that they were communicating with each other in the way they only knew how. It was when Changmin gave a slight nod that Kyuhyun finally spoke once more.

“Ryeowook, which places did your grandfather frequent in when he was still alive?”

~*~*~*~*~*~

“This isn’t getting us anywhere.” Minho groaned and slouched in his seat, nearly glaring at the pile of documents on the table around which he, Sooyoung and Jonghyun sat. They’d been generously granted entrance in Kim Ryeowook’s family home and allowed access to the possesssions of the late Kim Hyungwon but after nearly three hours of reading and researching, they hadn’t found anything that could back up the investigation. “It’s either that Kim Hyungwon’s one cunning and smart and thorough bastard or we can blame the war of losing many important documents and papers.”

“Perhaps both.” Jonghyun reasoned then. “Though you might want to tone down the insults a little bit. Not that I disagree with you but I think we might get kicked out of this house if you speak any louder than that. Besides, we haven't really proven anything.”

“But how do we solve this case if we can’t help Sangjun pass on?” Sooyoung questione

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter