Unlucky Thirteen 3: Conflict

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“You know…” Kris began awkwardly, swallowing the lump that formed in his throat before he continued. “We don’t have to continue dancing.”

“We’d be such killjoys, you know. Everyone’s out here. Besides…” Sooyoung trailed off; her arms hanging loosely around his neck as they dance to the slow song being played. “You’re not the worst company in the world, Kris, even if you think otherwise.”

His eyebrows rose at that. “Really?”

She nodded, giggling at his reaction. “Really.”

The awkwardness between them died down a tad bit more as her reply earned her a small yet genuine smile from Kris. “I can say the same about you, Sooyoung.”

Sooyoung grinned; the pair falling once more as they continued to dance. Claiming that he had two left feet and couldn’t dance to save his life, Kris had earlier sighed in relief when the brunette offered to lead the dancing, reassuring him with a somewhat amused smile that they would be okay… and that they wouldn’t be making fools out of themselves. They had made quite a sight as far as the other guests went. It really looked like Zorro and an unnamed princess had graced the event.

And though they lived up to their characters, Fred and George Weasley, Changmin and Kyuhyun separately kept an eye on the two.

`~`~`~`~`~`

“I’m tired!” Jessica whined as she flopped onto her seat when she and the rest of the girls came back to the table to rest.

“So, unnie…” Amber wiggled her eyebrows playfully at the older woman. “How was dancing with Heechul oppa?”

“Ugh. Don’t get me started.”

Sooyoung chuckled, grabbing her purse from her chair. “I’ll just go to the washroom.”

“Do you want any of us to come with you?” Yoona asked.

“No, it’s alright.” She shook her head, heading off toward the direction Tiffany had directed her to earlier.

“Try not to trip on your own gown, Soo!” Jessica yelled after her.

Sooyoung could only shake her head, rounding the corner and entering the narrow hallway that led to the washroom. It wasn’t her fault that the gown was just too long for her life. Twisting the doorknob open, she found the washroom empty, relieved and grateful that everything seemed new, well-cleaned and dry. All she really wanted to do was to wash her hands and then it was back to the warzone.

Impressed that the sink all had censors, Sooyoung merely placed her hand under the faucet before water came down on it, removing one hand to get liquid hand soap after a second or two. It was when she was washing off the lather on her hands that she abruptly froze, barely aware of the still running water falling on her hands. Despite the thick garment she was wearing, she felt a chill run up and down her spine. Lifting her head a fraction, she cursed herself for not realizing it sooner.

There was a mirror in front of her.

As calmly as she could, she finished off rinsing her hands, pulling her hands away from the sensor so that the water would stop flowing. in a sharp breath and counting to five in her mind, she straightened up; all colour draining from her face when she saw the spirit of a female covered in soot standing behind her.

And in a blink of an eye, the spirit wrapped her cold hands around her neck and strangled her, lifting Sooyoung off the ground and letting her feet dangle in the air.

Just like in her vision

The door locked on its own.

“What is taking her so long?” Yoona checked her watch again.

“What are you all doing here just sitting around and doing nothing?” Heechul asked as he and the rest of the boys returned to the table. “Hang on. Where’s Sooyoung?”

“Washroom.” Seohyun and Amber chirped in unison, the younger of the two adding, “She’s been in there for a while now but it’s probably because she’s having a hard time moving around in her gown.”

Jessica shook her head at that. “I wonder if she’ll even be able to properly use the washroom with the gown she’s wearing.”

Everyone had nearly chuckled at that but the conversation between a nearby guest dressed as Maleficent and a hotel staff caught their attention. “The door of the washroom has been locked for more than ten minutes now.” She complained. “Is it under maintenance?”

“No, ma’am. I apologize for the inconvenience and I'll have it checked right away. There is another washroom…”

But they weren’t listening anymore.

Alarmed at the possibility that something happened to Sooyoung, Changmin and Kyuhyun led the way to the washroom, doing their best not to knock into any of the guests as they did so. The team skidded to a stop outside the door; a string of colourful words leaving many of them when they realized that door really was locked from inside.

“Sooyoung!” Changmin banged on the door. “Are you in there? Sooyoung?”

Kyuhyun yanked him out of the way when Yunho and Kris came forward; the two men ramming their shoulders against the door to no avail. Growling in frustration, Yunho nodded to Kris and tried again and again but the door won’t budge and stayed as still and stiff as ever. Even when Changmin stepped up to help, the door still held its place

It was the identical gasps escaped Heechul, Jessica and Seohyun’s lips that stopped the trio’s efforts, prompting everyone to look at them with wide eyes. “There’s a spirit inside.” Heechul took in upon himself to explain. “It’s strong. That’s why the door is locked.”

“Well, .” Promptly moving out of the way, Changmin and the rest of the group watched as the three began chanting in unison; hearing the door click open a few seconds later.

Nearly kicking down the door in their haste to get inside, horrified looks crossed their faces as they found Sooyoung sprawled on one side of the washroom; her face pale and her breathing rapid and shallow. The spirit of a woman covered in ash and soot stood before her, slowly turning her head to look at them, giving them a first-hand look at the gruesome and appalling burns she had sustained from the fire forty years ago.

Yoona covered ; the contents of her stomach threatening to come out at the sight as she looked away. The spirit took a step their way and Heechul, Seohyun and Jessica went back to work, chanting simultaneously and their faces contorted in concentration. Their combined effort and energy caused the spirit to disappear; the atmosphere instantly turning lighter when the spirit was gone.

“We purified the spirit.” Seohyun replied to the unspoken question. “She didn’t need to be exorcised.”

“Sooyoung!” Yunho darted forward and lifted her in his arms as best as her puffy gown would allow him. “Are you okay?”

“I’m okay. I’m okay.”

“Looks like party’s over.” Kyuhyun made his way to the door. “Let’s get back to the base.”

`~`~`~`~`~`

With a freshly-made cup of tea in her hands and her feet free from her shoes, Sooyoung let out a sigh

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter