The Maternity Ward 1: Truths of Old

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Author's Note: For those who think that Choi Siwon is the other idol appearing in this case as a guest character, guess again :) If you read the list of characters in the foreword, Siwon's name is included, which means that he is part of the series and he is not the second idol I was talking about in the prologue :)

 

 

“Do you guys think that Jimin-ssi really is the spirit hunting the maternity ward?” Amber asked all of a sudden; everyone else in the base stopping from their activities to look at her. “I mean, what Jessica unnie said is true. I don’t think a hospital without any ghosts exists.”

“It may be her. It may not be her.” Changmin conceded easily from his seat in the table. “Finding out is the first thing we have to do.”

“The fact that she committed suicide in this hospital is enough for a possibility that it’s her.” Yunho pointed out after flickering through his copy of the testimonies. “She has an attachment to this place.”

“That’s true. But I think we have to–” Kyuhyun soon found himself being cut short when the door suddenly swung open and Sooyoung came storming in.

“I told you, Choi Siwon, I can handle this. And why did you even come all the way here when we could’ve just met up in the station?”

“Because I need to talk some sense to you, that’s why!” A dark haired man donning a complete police uniform rushed in after her; a look of complete displeasure on your face. “And I won’t leave until you listen to me. This kind of work isn’t safe!”

Sooyoung whipped around and shot him a pointed look. “And my former work that had me dealing with criminals wasn’t?”

The twins shot out of their seats, exchanging incredulous looks, before they pretty much gawked at the two. “Siwon…”

The officer found the direction the words came from; his eyes widening momentarily at the sight of the two before he let out an exasperated sigh. “Why am I not surprised you two are involved with this?”

“Um, hello?” Heechul cleared his throat, looking between the twins, the police officer named Siwon and Sooyoung. “Care to explain this soap opera scene we’re watching?”

Sooyoung rolled her eyes at that, thumbing towards Siwon. “This, ladies and gentlemen, is Choi Siwon, a police officer.”

“Choi Siwon?” Seohyun repeated, looking between him and Sooyoung. “Are you siblings?”

“We aren’t.” She replied before making a face at Siwon. “But he likes to take on the big brother role since we already share a surname. He thinks it’s believable.”

“It is.” Siwon shot back.

Kris nodded slowly, arching an eyebrow at his bosses. “And how are you two related to him?”

“Childhood friends.” The twins chirped in unison; the two then proceeding to introducing Amber, Kris, Jessica, Seohyun and Heechul to the officer.

“Now that’s out of the way and since you’re here already…” Sooyoung smiled a little too sweetly at Siwon. “How about you tell all of us about what you found out about Kang Jimin’s suicide?”

                Siwon rolled his eyes but didn’t complain, seating himself at the end of the long, rectangular table the team had set up in the base. Once everyone had found their places, with Kris and Amber totting their laptops with them, Siwon brought out his files, handing them to Sooyoung to be distributed. He didn’t understand when Sooyoung had asked for ten duplicates at first but now that he was here, in the supposed base of the Psychic Research and Investigation Center, it all made sense.

“I know that you all know by now that Kang Jimin committed suicide.” When he received nods to confirm his statement, Siwon continued. “Kang Jimin committed suicide on the sixteenth of April 1995 by jumping of the rooftop of this building, where the maternity ward is located. As I’m pretty sure you also know, the police of that time ruled it out as a result of postpartum depression since Jimin gave birth to a healthy boy a few days prior.”

“What happened to the father of her son?” Yoona asked.

“He was never identified, unfortunately.” Siwon replied with a sigh. “She had declared herself a single parent and family and close friends believed that the pregnancy was born out of a one night stand since she was single at that time. No one ever came forward with claims of being the boy’s father.”

Kyuhyun paused thoughtfully for a long moment. “Is she like your typical hospital-dwelling spirit then? Because this is beginning to sound like it.”

“I’m afraid not, Kyu.” To their surprise, he took out a new set of folders out of his bag and distributing them to the team. “Something happened to the baby.”

“What do you mean something happened to the baby?” Sooyoung gasped. “Did he die?”

“No, nothing like that.” He shook his head. “Prior to her death, Kang Jimin claimed that her son was taken.”

The new bit of information stunned the group to silence. “Excuse me?” Heechul sputtered. “Her son was taken? Kidnapped?”

“So she claimed.” Siwon gently massaged his temples. “That’s not the end of it though. Police and hospital staff checked the nursery and lo and behold, there was a baby boy with a wrist tagged that read ‘baby boy Kang’. But even when they showed the child to her, she insisted that he wasn’t hers and that her real son was missing.”

 “Did they do a blood test on the baby and Kang Jimin?” Changmin asked.

“They did.” Siwon nodded. “Test results came out positive.”

Yunho frowned. “It sounds like postpartum depression to me.”

“It doesn’t make sense though.” Sooyoung whispered; her wide eyes staring at the files she had laid out on the table before her. “Call it women’s intuition or whatever but what if the baby really wasn’t hers?”

“How can that be possible?”

“Siwon oppa, when did Kang Jimin start exhibiting signs of depression, for lack of better term?” Jessica directed her question to the police officer.

“The second time she had seen the baby – the day after she gave birth.” He answered. “The first of which being right after she had given birth to him.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter