Unlucky Thirteen 2: Halloween

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The atmosphere in the base was clearly somber, with a tinge of both relief and frustration.

It had been a good fifteen minutes since they all gathered in the room, with the exception of three people. Sooyoung had adamantly insisted that they stayed to guard Yoona as she slept in the girls’ bedroom. It had taken quite a while for them to convince her to finally sleep. The trembling brunette had been crying the moment they got her out of the elevator. As a matter of fact, everything had happened in such a blur that the whole team felt disoriented. All Changmin could remember was getting a call from a hysterical Sooyoung, babbling nearly incoherently about how Yoona was stuck in an elevator with thirteen spirits.

A nearly identically hysterical call back to the base got Kris hacking into the security cameras of the hotel; the tall, blonde healer informing Kyuhyun that he could see no one with Yoona and that she was curled up in the corner of the elevator; her face buried against her arms and her legs pulled tightly to her chest. Needless to say it had everyone terrified and worried; those in the lobby waiting anxiously as three of the four lifts descended while one was on its way up, presumably on Heechul and Sooyoung’s way.

It was Amber who caught sight of the sobbing brunette as the second elevator to reach the lobby opened its doors; Changmin, Kyuhyun and Yunho all darting inside to get the girl. Yoona openly bawled in Yunho’s arms; her frame shaking almost violently as he held her comfortingly and reassuringly. She wasn’t harmed yet it was a clear as day that she was frightened out of her wits. Changmin and Kyuhyun then went to call both Sooyoung and Kris respectively; the younger of the two twins surprised when it was Heechul who answered Sooyoung’s phone. The shaman merely informed him that someone better be ready to help him calm Sooyoung down the moment they got to the lobby.

“I think I got it.”

It was Kris’s voice who broke the heavy silence in the base as he turned to address everyone. “Nearly four decades ago, an office complex stood where the hotel is right now. The complex had been fully operational for about five years when one of the buildings caught fire due to faulty wiring and the fire quickly spread and burnt down the whole complex. Included those who perished in the fire were thirteen individuals, who had gotten in the elevator and wasn’t able to escape. According to my research, the thirteen suffocated and burned to death.”

A shiver ran up Seohyun’s spine. “No wonder…”

“So the spirits we had purified so far and the thirteen left are all victims of the fire.” Changmin deduced; his eyes soon falling on the two priestesses. “Should we purify them or exorcise them?”

“I say we exorcise them.” Kyuhyun sighed, rubbing his temples in stress.

“Isn’t that a bit too harsh though? I mean, maybe these spirits just can’t accept that they’re dead. Who can blame them?” Jessica shook her head. “Maybe they just need guidance so they can pass on peacefully.”

“But they’re dangerous!” Yunho argued almost immediately. “Look what happened to Yoona. We can’t afford another incident like that.”

“All I’m saying is–” Jessica was cut off mid-sentence by a knock on the door. “Are we expecting anybody?”

Amber slid off her seat, walking to the door to answer it. “Oh. It’s you, Miss Hwang.”

“Please, just call me Tiffany.” She replied kindly as she woke into the base. “How is Yoona-ssi?”

“She’s better, currently resting.” Changmin got to his feet. “What can we do for you?”

“I just want to apologize for all the trouble the hotel has caused you. I sincerely apologize.” Tiffany bowed.

“It’s not your fault. You don’t have to apologize.”

She straightened up. “I came here to let you guys know that the hotel’s hosting a costume party for Halloween tomorrow evening. I know you all have been focusing on the case but I’d just thought I’d invite you, let you guys unwind and all after what happened…”

The team exchanged a look. Do you think this is a good idea? We should be focusing on the case. He heard Kyuhyun ask in his mind.

I know, Kyu. But she’s right. We should take a break first. Changmin replied. Who knows? The party might help Yoona feel more like herself again.

I don’t know how probably seeing monsters in the party can help her but I get your point. A moment of silence passed in Changmin’s mind. If everyone’s up for it, I don’t mind.

“What do you guys think?” After receiving nods here and there and a noncommittal shrug from Kris, Changmin smiled at their client. “We’ll be there.”

`~`~`~`~`~`

A costume party needed… well, costumes. And costumes they didn’t have.

After spending a good chunk of time arguing and cajoling, the team found themselves heading out of the hotel in search for a costume shop. Albeit, some were far more enthusiastic than others about the shopping trip but when Kim Heechul had decided to side with the girls during the ‘argument’ about shopping, the rest of the boys knew that they were done for. But they eventually conceded when the prospect of going shopping had evidently relaxed Yoona; her first genuine smile since her ordeal gracing her face as they got in the cars the hotel provided them.

“What do you think I should dress up as?” Jessica asked no one in particular; the petite priestess nearly bouncing in her seat in excitement.

“A witch.” Heechul deadpanned.

“Oppa.” Sooyoung chastised before the older woman could fling her high-heeled pumps at him. “Th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter