The Maternity Ward 2: The Necklace

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The wind was gentle yet cold and Sooyoung couldn’t help but inwardly give herself a pat in the back for actually bringing her own jacket this time around.

She, Kyuhyun, Changmin and Kris stood off by the door that led to the staircase of the rooftop, watching as Seohyun, Heechul and Jessica chanted and started the séance; the trio’s hands holding each other tight. Just as in the previous case, Kyuhyun and Changmin were oddly quiet, more than likely just communicating with each other through telepathy. Kris was just as silent and still; his eyes fixed on the three seated around a round table; the candles flickering from time to time as the full moon hovered above. Thanks to the three cameras installed around the area, Yunho, Yoona. Amber and Siwon watched from the base; the police officer opting to stay and watch for the very first time.

The wind grew stronger for a second and died.

Seohyun slumped forward – the sign that she was no longer Seo Joohyun and that someone else’s soul had taken over her body; Heechul having the presence of mind to move the candle nearest to her shiny black hair to another spot on the table before he and Jessica moved aside, silent but still alert.

Slowly, Seohyun’s body straightened up; her head lifting inch by inch until her face became visible.

All they could see was pure, unadulterated grief.

Sooyoung covered with her hands and held back her whimper; tears b her eyes as they all watched Seohyun, now possessed by Jimin. Her eyes were bloodshot and full of tears as Jimin looked around, ignoring the presence of the four standing off at the corner as she looked for one person and one person only.

“Where’s my son?” Jim choked as a sob threatened to bubble out of . “My son… My son… WHERE’S MY SON?”

What followed was probably the loudest, shrillest, most broken wail they had ever heard their entire lives.

Changmin winced at the sound. I hope no one in the base is wearing the headphones.

Kyuhyun nodded briefly, taking a step in front of Sooyoung to partly shield her from the view when he heard her sudden, sharp intake of breath in fear. I don’t think anyone’s wearing them… but I’m pretty sure they might’ve the loudspeakers.

Brutal.

No kidding.

Kris stood stiff and alert and he watched Jimin’s every movement; the spirit still screaming out for her son as tears rolled down her face rapidly. Eventually, the screaming stopped, replaced by broken sobs and loud sniffing as Seohyun’s body collapsed to the ground in a heap of tears. For a moment, Sooyoung wondered how Seohyun could endure being a medium with the way spirits usually end up treating her body carelessly; Jimin’s and weeping soon stopping her train of thought.

“I didn’t even get to give you a name…” Jimin howled in pain. “My baby…”

Sooyoung could feel her heart breaking for the woman and she took a tentative step forward, ignoring Kris, Changmin and Kyuhyun’s pointed looks for her to stay in her place. “Jimin-ssi?”

“Who are you?” Jimin shrieked, suddenly turning angry and defensive in a split second that it made everyone flinch. “Are you here to call me a liar too?”

“No, no. We believe you.” She shook her head earnestly. “We believe you. We believe that your son was taken.”

“You… You do?” The spirit asked; her voice sounding surprisingly small.

“We do.” Sooyoung affirmed, taking another step closer. “That’s why we’re here, Jimin-ssi. We’re here to help you find him.”

Jimin perked up. “You are?”

“We’ll help you.” The brunette nodded, smiling gently for the spirit’s benefit. “We’ll do whatever it takes so you can find your son. I promise.”

The spirit choked back another sob; a smile slowly making its way to Seohyun’s face. “Thank you…”

An inaudible sigh of relief escaped Changmin’s lips before he too stepped forward. “But we need your help too, Jimin-ssi. I need you to answer a few questions for me. Can you do that?”

Jimin nodded vigorously. “Of course, of course. Anything.”

A pleased smile crossed his handsome face. “Jimin-ssi, do you know anyone who had a possible motive for taking away your child?”

“I… No. No, I don’t think so.” She answered after a moment. “There wasn’t many people who knew I was pregnant, just my family and a handful of friends.”

Changmin pursed his lips. “Is there anything you can tell us that can help us find him? Anything at all?”

“I… I…” Her eyebrows furrowed in frustration for a long while before her head snapped up; eyes bright in realization. “Before they took him away when I first saw him, I snuck my necklace in his swaddle. I’m sure I did.”

“A necklace?” Kyuhyun repeated. “What kind of necklace.”

“It was a silver necklace and… and… it had a heart-shaped pendant with my name engraved on the back.” Jimin replied. “I’m sure of it. I snuck it in his swaddle.”

“Thank you, Jimin-ssi.” Changmin smiled again. “We’ll find your son. I promise.”

“Please. Please find him.” She begged though relief colored her tone. “It’s the only thing I want this world. I just want to see him.”

“Jimin-ssi…” Sooyoung spoke as gentle as she could. “I need you to tell me more thing, okay?”

A look of understanding crossed Seohyun’s face. “You want to know where the baby I took is.”

She nodded slowly. “Yes.”

“He’s in my room.” And with that, Seohyun’s body slumped forward, unconscious.

“Kris and I will take care of her.” Changmin said to his brother; the tall, blonde healer already rushing forward to check on Seohyun. “Go.”

Kyuhyun nodded, taking Sooyoung by the wrist as they rushed down the stairs with Heechul and Jessica hot on their tracks. They knew that what Jimin referred to her room was none other than the hospital room she had stayed it after she had given birth. Kyuhyun silently thanked the heavens when he remembered that the room wasn’t currently occupied; the four coming thundering down the stairs, running through the hallway once they had gotten past the door and came to a screeching halt outside room. Heaving with every breath he took, Kyuhyun reached out a hand and gripped the doorknob, taking a sharp breath and counting to three mentally before he twisted the knob and opened the door.

Hey, Frack. We got the baby.

`~`~`~`~`~`

“How unlucky can we get today?” Kyuhyun grumbled under his breath as he, Jessica, Siwon and Sooyoung piled back in Siwon’s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter