Respite 2: It Gets Better

Files of The Dead
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Sooyoung sat up on the bed before the rest of her was even aware that she was awake. The bloodcurdling scream from the bed by the window in Jessica’s sister’s room had her up on her feet and rushing towards the woman sleeping on it, nearly colliding with Amber, who was just about to get up; the two having slept on the large air mattress Jessica provided them. Nearly hurling Amber towards the light switch, Sooyoung clambered up the bed; her eyes widening as Seohyun thrashed in her sleep; tears streaming down her face and her eyes squeezed shut.

“Wake up! Seohyun, wake up!” Shifting to avoid her wildly kicking legs, Sooyoung grasp the younger woman’s arms and shook her. “Wake up!”

“I don’t wanna die…” Seohyun whimpered. “I don’t wanna die… Please. Help me!”

The room was soon bathed in light; Amber soon appearing beside Sooyoung. “She’s dreaming about the case.”

“I know.” Sooyoung worriedly chewed on her lower lip. “We have to wake her up.”

“Unnie, wake up.” Amber shook Seohyun harder. “Unnie!”

Seohyun gasped; frantic eyes snapping open as she shot up on the bed. Her breathing was ragged and shallow and her eyes darted wildly around the room, as if looking for a threat that wasn’t there. Amber and Sooyoung waited until her eyes finally focused on them; Amber holding on to Sooyoung’s to support her when Seohyun threw herself into the older woman’s arms, nearly knocking her off balance.

“You’re okay…” Sooyoung kept her voice reassuring and calm as she wrapped her arms around the shaken woman. “You’re okay. You’re safe.”

Amber could only sigh as Seohyun began to sob, running a comforting hand up and down her back. It was then that the door was unceremoniously slammed open, banging loudly against the wall that it made the already distraught Seohyun jump out of her skin in surprise and fright; Changmin and Kyuhyun rushing inside, nearly tripping over each other in their haste.

“What happened, what happened, what happened?” Kyuhyun demanded, looking around the room for any sign of danger.

Sooyoung turned her head to glare at the twins, noting that Yoona and Siwon had entered behind the two. “She had a nightmare and the two of you making so much noise isn’t helping her!”

“We heard her all the way downstairs.” Heechul spoke from his spot by the doorway, rubbing the sleep off his eyes. “What did she dream about?”

“The Julia Han case.” Amber informed them quietly.

He sighed, running a hand down his face. “Damn.”

“Seohyun…” Yoona peered over Sooyoung’s shoulder, noting that Seohyun’s shoulders were terribly shaking. “Can I get you anything?”

Seohyun merely shook her head.

Heechul frowned, finally movie from the doorway. “Water, at least?”

“Thanks for becoming one with the door, hyung.” Kris said wryly as he stepped in with a glass filled with a milky looking substance in hand; Jessica following behind her.

“How is she doing?” Jessica asked first, frowning when Sooyoung merely nodded to the crying form she was holding.

“I made this.” Kris made his way to the bed. “It’s a drink… supposed to help her calm down and have a dreamless sleep.”

Changmin placed a hand on his shoulder. “I don’t think that’s what she needs for now, Kris… but thanks.”

Sooyoung managed to give him a sad yet still grateful smile before she turned her attention back to Seohyun. “Seohyun? Just cry it all out, sweetheart. Let it all out.”

And cry she did. Sooyoung could only wrap her arms tighter around her friend; Yoona settling down beside them to wrap both Sooyoung and Seohyun in a hug while Amber kept running her hand up and down Seohyun’s back as comfortingly as she could. Silently, everyone else rearranged themselves around the room, finding a place to sit or stand. It was silent, except for the broken cries that resounded throughout the room.

For the first time since the case closed, they all mourned.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Following the long night that ended with Seohyun finally drinking what he’d made that caused her to fall in a dreamless sleep within minutes, Kris found himself in the kitchen making a fresh batch of it. Last he checked he was the only one up and about in the entire villa with everyone having gone back to sleep only after Seohyun had done so. It was really fortunate that he’d remembered to bring many of the ingredients and materials he used in healing, knowing that even if it was still a vacation, it was better to be safe than sorry.

A frown marred his handsome face as he thought of Seohyun. Hopefully the nightmares would stop soon. Not that he minded making more of the mixture he was producing should the need arise. But there was only so much a person could take. He could only fervently hope that Sooyoung was right – that all she, and maybe everyone else needed, was a good cry.

The sound of soft, approaching footsteps cut his train of thought; Kris turning toward the door of the kitchen. “Good morning, hyung.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter