Confession

Voice

a/n : I’m so sorry and apologize to the readers. (シ_ _)シ It passed more than 6 months since the last time I’ve update and I’m still alive apparently. Rambling set aside…I will try to update this fic regularly from now on. Thank you in advance (ノ゚▽゚)ノ

 

CHAPTER 45

 

“Mama!” Sungmin called and crushed her into a bear-hug, “I miss you.” she said, snuggling closer to the warmth.

 

Heechul laughed at her sudden affection. It is not like they separated for long. She only went to school and just came back.

 

“I miss you too, baobei.” Heechul said back, patting her cheeks with a wide smile.

 

Sungmin blinked. Somehow, she senses something different in her mama’s eyes. Sparkles. Her eyes are shimmering with sparkles.

 

“Did something good happened, mama?” she asked.

 

“Why? You notice something?” Heechul asked her back.

 

Sungmin nodded eagerly, “You look happier than this morning. That’s what I can say.”

 

Heechul laughed again at her correct remark.

 

“Yes, there is something happened and a happy thing, in fact. You’re really good at sensing this. You are indeed the Lee’s clan sixth sense.” She complimented her.

 

Sungmin laughed at the compliment, feeling contented. She didn’t need to know the reason behind her mama’s happiness. She has learnt over the years to not question much about what happened around her. But, she is happy that her mama is happy. That is all that matter to her.

 

On the next day, Heechul and Hangeng went back to China. She’s already relieved that Sungmin is securely safe with her in-laws and she’s more than just happy to be able to meet her sworn sister again. It makes her trip back to Korea more valuable than ever.

 

“Have you given her our home address?” asked Hangeng.

 

Heechul nodded, “She says she’ll visit us once there’s a break.”

 

“And if she’s not, are you going to drag her?” Hangeng joked.

 

“Of course I will.” She responded with some laughter, “I’m sure unnie will be the happiest if she knew about it.” She said sincerely.

 

Hangeng smiled seeing the happy expression on his wife. He holds her firm by the shoulder and planted a kiss on her forehead.

 

“I’m happy that you are happy too, my baobei.” He told her lovingly and Heechul’s heart flowered to just hear it.

 

It is a new start for her family now. The reunion with Jungsoo will probably change a lot of things she can guess it. But, for the meantime, she’ll just savor the happy moment.

 

 

/////

 

 

A week later, the school celebrates an occasion. It’s the graduation day for the third year student. Everyone is happy especially the one graduating. Among all the third year students, the only one that catches Sungmin’s attention is her beloved oppa, Kim Youngwoon a.k.a. Kangin. She smiled proudly looking at him when the principal presented the certificate holder and patted his back as a congratulatory.

 

Sungmin applauded loudly when the said man turned to her and smirked. Almost every girls fall for his dangerous charm. Not too far from the hall, also there’s someone watching him with a happy smile. Finally, the moment that Kangin been waiting for has arrived. His life as a student ended there and now, he can move on with proud.

 

“Here.” Kangin suddenly said, holding up his fist towards Sungmin.

 

The girl blankly stares at him. Hesitantly, Sungmin reached out her hand. Kangin opened up her fist and a piece of button fall into her hand.

 

“It’s the second button.” He answered Sungmin’s unspoken question, “I’ve read somewhere about how special it is for someone and it’s one of the tradition in Japan. So, since you are from Japan, I thought that you might appreciate it even more.” He explained more.

 

Slow and yet, a bright smile bloomed on Sungmin.

 

“Thank you so much, oppa!” she chirped, “But, are you sure you’re giving it to me? How about unnie?”

 

“I gave her a kiss.” Kangin teased and laughed at it, together with Sungmin, “She’s fine with it, don’t worry.” He added after his laughter subsides.

 

Sungmin nodded affirmatively and keep the present given safely inside her pouch. It’s going to be a special memory for her.

 

“What are you going to do next, hyung?” Kyuhyun asked, since he is there all along.

 

“Well…” Kangin trailed with a frown look, “There’s nothing much to do but to continue with my father’s business. I’m also going to succeed the heritance of the Kim group. I am the fifth heir, you know?”

 

“Fifth? You mean the yakuza group?” Kyuhyun asked more, suddenly feels a tingling of fright to know about the fact.

 

Kangin smirked, “Yes, Kyuhyun. The Yakuza group.”

 

Kyuhyun shivered out of reflex. He turned to Sungmin expecting her to feel the same but he sees a wide smile instead.

 

“That’s great oppa!” Sungmin cheered.

 

Kyuhyun gawked at her reaction.

 

“Youngjin uncle will be really happy, I’m sure. Plus that you’re already a graduate now.” She added happily.

 

Kangin laughed. Instinctively, his hands reached for Sungmin’s head and he ruffled her hair making a mess out of it.

 

“It’s just high school, Sungminie. There’s nothing much to be so proud about. Our family still needs to rely on your family to survive you know.” He rebutted but Sungmin laughed even more by the affection.

 

“I know that.” she agreed.

 

Kyuhyun watched their interaction in awe by Sungmin casualty of talking about Yakuza and everything like it was just a small matter to her. Well, as much he wanted to ask Sungmin, he thought it’s better to not. Sungmin did tell him that her family is different than anyone else he knew. Probably, being in the same kind of family like Kangin, he did understood Sungmin the most.

 

“Come and join us for dinner later, Sungminie.”

 

“Dinner? Us?” Sungmin repeated his words cutely.

 

“Yes, me and Jungsoo. And you too, Kyuhyun.” Kangin added.

 

“Eh?” Kyuhyun was surprised by the sudden invitation, “Me too?” he asked to which Kangin nodded.

 

Kyuhyun and Sungmin looked at each other. Confusion is clearly written on their face.

 

“Why?” they asked in perfect sync.

 

Kangin laughed at their reaction. And yet, he still didn’t give any reason why they were invited to join his and Leeteuk’s dinner. He just reasoned that he wanting to treat them. In fact, he is actually fulfilling his girlfriend’s wish of eating dinner with them. It is a bit awkward for Kyuhyun at first to sit at the same table with Leeteuk and Kangin. Sungmin still didn’t know the truth about Leeteuk’s and his relationship with each other. Leeteuk who noticed it smiles assuring at him.

 

Gladly and unplanned, Leeteuk admitted to Sungmin the truth about her and Kyuhyun’s relationship. Sungmin is astounded to find out but she listened to Leeteuk’s explanation carefully before making any conclusion.

 

“It was me who told Kyuhyun to keep it a secret from everyone. So, I hope that you will understand, Sungminie.” She wished.

 

Sungmin had her eyes blinked few times, processing all the information.

 

“Why?”

 

Leeteuk smiled thinly at her question.

 

“There is a past that I want to keep. And when the time comes, I will tell you everything.” She assured her.

 

Sungmin pouted like a child. She still confuse with the new information.

 

“Don’t think much, Minnie.” Kangin’s hand patted Sungmin’s head, “Isn’t it good enough that you got to know now than later. Teukie has been in mess herself about telling you.”

 

“Really?” Sungmin turned to Leeteuk immediately, as guilt wash through her.

 

Leeteuk smiles and nodded, “But, everything is completely fine now. I am just glad that you willingly to accept my action with open-heart.” She assured her.

 

“I’m sorry for keeping it a secret from you too, Sungminie. It just my aunt…didn’t want anyone else to know.” Kyuhyun apologized for hiding.

 

Sungmin sense the sadness in Kyuhyun’s voice. She smiles.

 

“It’s okay Kyukyu. You are honest with me now, right?”

 

The two teenagers smile at each other. Sungmin’s right. There is no more honesty needed more than they have now. Their dinner continue with more enjoyment then. Sungmin is happy to spend time with her most beloved and so did the others.

 

With that, Kangin is officially graduated from high school. He continued with his family duty as the son of the family but at the same time, he still plays a big brother role to Sungmin. He even entrusted the whistle’s savior to Kyuhyun to replace him at school. Sungmin’s high school life continued normally.

 

 

//////

 

 

“Teukie saeng.”

 

A voice called together with the door slides open. Sungmin turned up from her reading instinctively and her eyes meet up with a boy, holding her book. His eyes widened looking at Sungmin, seems to be surprised in seeing her there. Sungmin smiles at him and instantly makes him blush.

 

He coughed, “Is Teukie saeng available?” he asked, keeping his cold face.

 

“She went to the teacher’s lounge. Someone needs her there.” explained Sungmin.

 

Sungmin’s eyes travelled to the boy’s hand. She noticed a swell.

 

“Want me to take a look at it?” she offered.

 

The boy looks at his hand and Sungmin back forth.

 

“Why not?” and he walks proudly towards her.

 

Sungmin helps by taking a chair for him to sit. They went face-to-face with each other. Voluntarily, Sungmin takes the emergency kit from the cupboard and some bandages. She didn’t realize the boy’s eyes that are following her every move. When Sungmin sits down again, he keeps on looking without a single blink.

 

“Give me your hand.” Ordered Sungmin politely.

 

The boy obeys and Sungmin carefully sprays some antiseptic onto his wound. It swells quite a bit, so Sungmin wants to be careful on treating him. It’s not her first time because she used to treat her uncles’ injuries every time since small. But, the fact that the boy is a stranger makes her being extra careful in doing so.

 

“What happened to your hand?” Sungmin tried to break the tense.

 

He chuckled.

 

“I’m a basketball player. Wrong move in accepting the ball, ends up me with this.” He responded.

 

Sungmin hummed and they fell into another silence. Sungmin started taking out the bandage and applies it on his hand.

 

“You…really are fond of Teukie saeng, right Sungminie?” the boy breaks the silence this time.

 

“Eh?”

 

“I always see you around the infirmary. Apart from your music club friends, that is.” He added.

 

Sungmin nodded, “I like her, so I guess I am very fond of her. It’s not wrong right?” she talked back.

 

“No, not at all. I like the idea of it.” He said casually.

 

After a few round of bandages, Sungmin finished treating the boy’s hand. She fixes the emergency kit back to its place in the box.

 

“But you…” Sungmin trailed her voice softly, “What year are you in?”

 

“First year, class 2. Same as you are. You’re in class 2 too right?”

 

“Em…” Sungmin agreed hesitantly, eyes fixed looking at him, “If you’re in first year, shouldn’t you call me sunbae?” she corrected him.

 

The boy laughed, “I never call someone I like respectably, and so, I don’t care.” He retorted back arrogantly.

 

“Eh?”

 

With a smirk and in a flash, the boy shifted and stopped exactly opposite of Sungmin.

 

“I like you.” he confessed.

 

Sungmin’s eyes widened three times than normal. She blinked in astonishment disbelieve of what he just said. And the corner of the boy’s lips extended into a large smirk.

 

“Why?” the question slipped off Sungmin’s lips out of instinct.

 

“Why? Because I like you obviously.” He said again confidently.

 

A red blush covered Sungmin’s face. It was the first time ever for someone to actually confess to her and a hoobae to be more exact. So, of course she was astounded by the boldness of the boy. She coughed, clearing his throat and thought from the embarrassment.

 

“But, I’ve never see you and I…”

 

“I like everything about you.” the boy speaks up, cutting off Sungmin, “I like your smile. I love to hear you singing. I like the way you talk and I like especially your eyes.” He admitted, ignoring Sungmin’s horrid expression.

 

Sungmin shakes her head to wakes up.

 

“It’s impossible. Please stop joking.”

 

“What impossible? I told you that I like you. I don’t see there’s anything wrong in it.” He continued, strike off Sungmin’s every word.

 

Sungmin blinked again.

 

“Why Sungminie? This is your first time?” he mocked with a smirk.

 

Sungmin tensed.

 

She coughed, “Behave.” Sungmin punished him on his head softly, “I’m still your sunbae no matter what.” She reprimanded.

 

She ignores the large smirk on the boy and averted her attention away with doing something else.

 

“You don’t have any boyfriend yet. So why not become mine?” he offered to which Sungmin glared at him back, “What? I am speaking the truth right? You do don’t have any boyfriend. So, I don’t think it’s wrong for me to confess.”

 

“Perhaps. But I…I…” Sungmin stammered, thinking for any reason to retort against him, “I don’t like young boy.” She reasoned.

 

The boy laughed out loud.

 

“You’re just shy, I know.” he commented

 

“No, I…”

 

“Alright, I gotta go now.” He stands up, cutting off Sungmin, “Remember my name, Sungminie. It’s Daehyun. If you ever feel lonely, just come and find me, I’m always available.” he said confidently and winked for the last before leaving the infirmary.

 

Sungmin was still frozen in her seat. What has just happened was totally unexpected that her head refuse to believe in it.

 

“That’s a very bold confession.”

 

Sungmin’s head quickly turned, “Oppa!”

 

Kangin waved by the window and jumped into the room before he walked closer with a tease smirk pasted on his lips.

 

“I didn’t know that someone is paying attention to you.” he commented with a pat on Sungmin’s head affectionately.

 

Sungmin averted her eyes away, “I didn’t know about it myself.” She mumbles.

 

Kangin laughed seeing her reaction, “Don’t be tense, Sungminie. I’m sure the boy didn’t mean harm. He’s cute.” He teased.

 

“Oppa!!” Sungmin complained.

 

Kangin laughed even more, totally enjoys teasing her. He knew how special Sungmin is, so he isn’t that surprise to know there’s someone else paying attention to her dongsaeng. Furthermore, even without asking much, he knew that Sungmin already has someone attached inside her heart.

 

 

//////

 

 

Later that same afternoon, after school, Kyuhyun is seen walking at the hallway. There’s a solemn auras surrounds him. He dragged his feet lazily towards the music room, unsure what kind of reaction to give if he ever sees Sungmin again. Honestly without anyone knowing, he heard and saw the confession scene in the infirmary. His mind was blank with shock at that time and still by now. After so much thinking, he becomes more and more doubtful about his and Sungmin’s relationship. He didn’t want to admit it, but he did feel hurt by the bold confession. He has always thought that he has a special place in Sungmin’s heart but, with the arrival of a new competitor, he’s unsure whether it is the true or not.

 

Will he keep on being just best friend? He thought, opening the door.

 

“Kyukyu!” Sungmin’s voice chirped through his ears.

 

He sees his smiling angel, Sungmin is already sitting, and waiting by the grand piano.

 

Can he handle Sungmin’s uncles if he confesses?

 

His feet took a step one by one, moving towards Sungmin.

 

“Kyukyu, did you know? Something funny happened just now.” Sungmin told him, excited, “A hoobae confessed to me and he said he loves me. Can you believe it? It’s so funny.” Sungmin told, laughing as she remembered.

 

But strangely, she still got no response from Kyuhyun. She turned up and noticed Kyuhyun already stands exactly in front of her.

 

“Kyukyu?”

 

I love Sungminie.

 

Their eyes locked with each other.

 

I love Lee Sungmin.

 

Chup!

 

Stunned. Their times freeze in that instant. Sungmin’s eyes grew big in astonishment. Kyuhyun’s face is just right in front of her. She could feel his breath on her. She sees Kyuhyun’s eyes closed. And most importantly his lip has touched hers.

 

Slap!

 

Sungmin’s hand instinctively hit Kyuhyun’s face. Kyuhyun was pushed backward by the slap and he falls hard on his . Sungmin’s face blushed madly. She pants as her breathing got heavy out of sudden.

 

“I…I…” Sungmin shuttered, covering her lips.

 

Kyuhyun gulped visibly, finally realized what he just did.

 

“Minnie…I…”

 

“I’m sorry!” Sungmin dashed away from the music room, leaving Kyuhyun all space out on the floor.

 

Sungmin runs as fast as she could. Without turning back. Ryeowook opened the door of the music room and surprised to see Kyuhyun sitting on the floor, still staring into space.

 

“Kyuhyun.”

 

Kyuhyun jerked, intensely shocked by the call and shocked Ryeowook all the same.

 

“Why? What happened to you? Why are you on the floor?” asked Ryeowook confused.

 

Kyuhyun stammered, “I just…did something…really terrible.” He gulped, knowing what he just did will change things drastically.

 

 

/////

 

 

Sungjin got home from his work and opens the door of the house. Strangely, the one greets him is only an empty living room and darkness. He frown thinking, especially since his niece never acts that way before. He walks upstairs towards her bedroom and instinctively sighed in relief seeing the light. He knocks the door few times and waits for a reply. After a ‘come in’ from the other side, he opened the door.

 

His eyes scan around until it reaches the bed. Sungmin waves at him, smiling on the bed.

 

“Jin-chan.”

 

He smiles, out of reflex, “Are you okay?” he asked and walks towards her.

 

“Okay.” Sungmin replied, nodding her head cutely.

 

“What’s wrong? Did you have a fever?” he puts his hand on Sungmin’s forehead checking her temperature, “It doesn’t seem so hot. Have you eaten anything?”

 

“Yun-kun already cooked me porridge.”

 

“Ah, right. Yun did tell me that.” He said and looks back at Sungmin.

 

He notices she seems so absent-minded. Her pet, Kon is on her lap, sleeping perhaps.

 

“Is there something the matter, Sungminie?”

 

“Eh? No, nothing. There’s nothing.” She responded but her eyes obviously averting away from Sungjin.

 

Sungjin frowned by her reaction, “Did something happen at school?”

 

Sungmin tensed by the correct guess and she smiles awkwardly at her uncle.

 

“A little.”

 

“A little? And you can’t tell me what is it about?”

 

Sungmin denied right away, with a blush on her face.

 

“Not even a bit?”

 

Sungmin shakes her head again. Sungjin heaved out a sigh.

 

“Fine, I’m not forcing you anyway. Just take a rest if you’re tired. I’ll be home tonight.” He told the latter, patting her head casually.

 

“How about your work, Jin-chan?”

 

“It’s done for today. Also, because Yun is there to help me. So, it’s okay.” He responded, “Stop worrying about me but focus on you instead. Go to bed.”

 

Sungmin nodded and comfortably lays her head on the bed, obeying his words. Sungjin stayed beside him until he’s sure Sungmin has fallen asleep. After a last on her hair, he leaves the room and goes for refreshment.

 

But, honestly, Sungmin is still awake. After the door closed, once more, her eyes fling open looking at the ceiling. What happened to her and Kyuhyun is still fresh inside her head. She blushed again recalling the kiss. Screaming like a little kid, she hides herself behind her blanket and protested. Her heart hasn’t stop thumping and she couldn’t even figure it out why.

 

I know I like Kyukyu…but this is…am I ready? She questioned herself.

 

Her hand slowly touches her lips. The warmth that she and Kyuhyun shared, she can almost feel it. Sungmin screamed onto her pillow again, totally restless for the rest of the night. What she didn’t know, on the other part of the world, Kyuhyun is also on the same state. He couldn’t even sleep a blink. All his thought filled with Sungmin’s expression only and it scares him if Sungmin hates him.

 

When the next morning comes, Sungmin fakes of having a fever and requested from her uncle to excuse school. She feels tired, she said. Her uncle of course believes in her and agreed to let her stay a rest at home. But honestly, she’s still thinking about what happened yesterday. After her sudden dash away from Kyuhyun, now she’s unsure how is she going to face up with the boy again?

 

Kyuhyun is affected the most when he found out Sungmin is absence. His guilt piled up when his friends asked about Sungmin and he has no answer to that questions. Ryeowook and Donghae on the other hand, are clueless about what is actually happening to him. For sure, they are more worried about Sungmin’s condition. With that, immediately after school, the two girls decided to pay a visit to Sungmin first and foremost. Sungmin is happy by their visit and after contemplating few times, she finally tells them what has happened.

 

“HE KISSED YOU?!” Donghae and Ryeowook screamed in perfect sync.

 

Sungmin’s face was already flush in bright red. She nodded faintly. Donghae and Ryeowook look at each other, disbelief with what they heard.

 

“Seriously, Haehae? Your cousin is that brave to do something like that?” Ryeowook whispers to Donghae’s ears.

 

“I don’t know…” replied Donghae, while they’re reading Sungmin’s expression about that matter.

 

Sungmin’s eyes watered. Maybe because of embarrassment of shyness but they can see that restless state Sungmin is in. They looked at each other, pitied Sungmin’s situation.

 

“Are you okay, Sungminie?” Ryeowook hugged Sungmin.

 

Sungmin nodded in her embrace.

 

“I’m okay. I just feel weird I guess.”

 

“Weird? Why?”

 

Sungmin pouted, “I…I don’t know.” She sighed.

 

“Do you hate Kyuhyun?”

 

“No!” Sungmin fast reclined and flushed immediately upon realizing her reaction, “I… I never hate Kyukyu… But…” she whispered.

 

Her two friends smirked.

 

“You really like Cho Kyuhyun aren’t you?” Ryeowook teased.

 

Sungmin closed her eyes tight and nodded.

 

“Yay!!!” suddenly she was crushed into a bear hug, “Welcome to the couple club!!” they cheered and laughed happily.

 

“Wookie! Haehae!” Sungmin protested but her friends still continue laughing.

 

In the end, Sungmin couldn’t even argue back against her friends. They continue teasing her and assured her to confess. Sungmin reasoned that she’s not yet ready but they retorted back saying it’s the right the time. Donghae helped and explained for Sungmin to calm down.

 

“It’s okay if you’re not ready. Give Kyuhyun time and you, a reason to think. We’re still in high school, you know. There’s no need to rush.”

 

Donghae’s reasoning did make sense in that part. Sungmin is glad that she has her friends and consulted about it with them. Her shoulder feels lighter. Even though, she’s still not ready to face up with Kyuhyun, the least is…she’s calm.

 

 

/////

 

 

“Apologize to Sungmin!” Donghae and Ryeowook demanded, acting like a strict sergeant.

 

Well, they are strict alright. Kyuhyun is practically on his knees with both of his hand raised up above his head. After meeting up with Sungmin yesterday, the girls decided that they are going to punish Kyuhyun using their own way. And Kyuhyun, feeling guilty much with his action accepted the punishment wholeheartedly. Eunhyuk and Yesung laughed at him, amused.

 

“But, how?” he whined, “Sungmin even refuse to pick up my call. How am I supposed to apologize?”

 

“Have you tried her uncle?”

 

“And get kill.” Yesung added to Ryeowook’s suggestion, “I don’t think that’s a good idea, Wookie.”

 

Kyuhyun nodded eagerly. He was threatened once and seen a scary scene. He really is not ready to die at young age.

 

“Then, what should he do?”

 

“Go to her house.” Eunhyuk suggested.

 

The others narrowed their eyes by it, unsatisfied.

 

“What? I’m just saying. Sungmin’s uncles are very busy men right? They are not home all the time. If you go to her house, I don’t think Sungmin will chase you away.” He explained long, suddenly making a sense.

 

“Well…Eunhyuk is right. You can just go right after school.” Yesung added.

 

Kyuhyun keenly agreed. But, Donghae and Eunhyuk suddenly smirk. They have another idea instead. In perfect sync, they put their hand on Kyuhyun’s shoulder and gave him an evil smile.

 

“W…what?” asked Kyuhyun, nervously.

 

“Just skip school, Cho Kyuhyun.”

 

Yesung gaped. He can’t believe that his dongsaengs are actually dared to suggest such absurd idea in front of him, President of Student Council. He protested alright. That is absolutely such a bad idea. But, after much arguing with the younger, in the end, he helped Kyuhyun by lying to his teacher for Kyuhyun to leave early that day. He wanted to help too.

 

 

TBC