Coming Back

Voice

 

CHAPTER 43

 

Donghae walks in fast speed with a magazine in her hands towards the music room. Without knocking, she opens the door and startled Sungmin and Ryeowook who were practicing.

 

“Minnie! Minnie! Is this true?! Please tell me this is TRUE!” Donghae beamed excitedly shoving the magazine to Sungmin’s hand.

 

Sungmin and Ryeowook take the magazine and scan the article written in it.

 

“Infinite H, Jang Dongwoo to star in a new action movie.” Ryeowook reads it out loud.

 

hangs opens, “MOVIE?! Dongwoo oppa is going to act?!”

 

“Yes, Wookie he is!”

 

“Ahhhh!!!!” Ryeowook and Donghae screamed and jumped like a total fan-girl, “This is so great!!”

 

Sungmin laughed to see their reaction.

 

“Is it true, Sungmin?” they repeated in perfect sync.

 

With a nod from Sungmin, another shriek of scream was heard. They are absolutely excited, that is for sure. Sungmin laughed even more, feels so amused with her friends franctic act. After a few more jumps and screaming, finally both girls calm down. They listened tentatively when Sungmin explained clearly about her uncle upcoming movie. They are really so excited with their idol upcoming activities.

 

“Oh…I can’t wait…” they moaned satisfactory, already fantasizing about it.

 

“You are so lucky, Sungminie.” Ryeowook compliments with a pout, “You got two successful businessmen as your uncles. Your other uncle is an idol, and your mama is also a celebrity. You got such a famous family, it must be great.” She added.

 

Sungmin smiles but not a very happy smile, “You are lucky too. You’ve got parents.” She said and her friends turned stiff immediately.

 

Guilt fall upon them by Sungmin’s smiling face. Quickly, they take Sungmin’s hand into theirs and apologized.

 

“We’re sorry, Sungminie.”

 

“Yea, we’re so sorry…we’re not trying to make you sad.” Their lips quivered into a sad pout, holding their guilt.

 

A small chuckle escaped from Sungmin. She flicks on Donghae’s and Ryeowook’s head playfully.

 

“Silly, don’t look so dejected. I’m fine.” She assured.

 

“But…”

 

“Shh…” Sungmin hushed them before they retorted. “If you truly are my friends, never says sorry or thank you. That is all I ask from you.” She gave them a big smile.

 

Donghae and Ryeowook look at each other, and sighed.

 

“We love you, Sungminie.” They crushed Sungmin into a tight hug.

 

The three girls laughed and smiles happily. At the nick of the time, the door creaked open wide surprised them in sync. Kyuhyun frowned upon came across the scene.

 

“What’s with the touching moment?” he mocked.

 

Donghae snickered, “Shut up, cuz. This is not your problem.” She nagged.

 

“Heh, yeah right.” Kyuhyun casually walks inside and take a seat, “What are you doing here, Hae?” he asked.

 

“What? I’m visiting my best friend.”Donghae casually replied.

 

“Eh? Don’t you have a dance practice?”

 

“Ahh!!!” Donghae screamed practically right after Kyuhyun said it, “I forgot!” she dashed out from the room leaving all the spectators inside the music room all in awe.

 

Sungmin and Ryeowook looked at each other and laughed.

 

“You’ve got a funny cousin, Kyu.” Ryeowook commented.

 

Kyuhyun sneered, agreed by the comment. He had to accept the fact no matter what. After that, all three members of music club did what they did best which is composing new songs for the day. When it is finally over, Kyuhyun will volunteer himself to send Sungmin home, plus accompanied by Jongjin. Of course, being the blockade he is, Jongjin will never let Sungmin and Kyuhyun alone, especially not after knowing the feelings they had for each other. Kyuhyun inwardly groaned but for Sungmin either only two or three, she is happy to have both of her loved ones together.

 

Using the opportunity, Sungmin even invite Kyuhyun for dinner but he quickly declined sensing the glare from Sungmin’s uncle, Sungjin.

 

“It’s okay, Ming. I’ll just see you again tomorrow.” He said.

 

Pouting like a kid, Sungmin nodded and bid farewell to her ‘Kyukyu’. She then cooked dinner for her family together with the help from Jongjin (yes, he decided to stay) and have more spend time with her family. The elders in the family smiled satisfyingly listening to every story Sungmin told them about. They are really grateful indeed. Sungmin has changed a lot and become more talkative after she stayed in Korea.

 

But, among all, only one person remained lifeless during Sungmin’s story telling. It is none other than Sungmin’s aunt, Heechul. She tried to act normal when Sungmin ask and lied to her but her husband notice it alright. He’s really worried plus with the condition she is having and yet, Heechul hushed him away.

 

“I’m fine, dear. Stop worrying. I’m not that weak, remember?” she said, and assured the man the best she could.

 

Hangeng sighed but he obliged. He knew that his wife has something going on. Well, judging from the years of living together as a couple, he often understands it is best to give her a time on her own. Heechul never lie to him and he knew sooner or later, he will find out about what had actually happened.

 

Heechul looks far from her sight. The night is getting late but, her mind is still thinking about her meeting of the day with her long lost sworn sister. She bashed onto Sungjin as soon as she got home but that man coolly answered her, wasn’t all affected by what he did.

 

FLASHBACK

 

“You did it on purpose!” Heechul pushed him angrily on chest.

 

She didn’t waste even a minute on attacking her in-law after she stepped inside the house. She felt angry, not only to him but to herself too. The reason for her to come to Korea, the meeting with Jungsoo and everything, she knew was all planned by Sungjin all along. The man does have the power to control someone’s fate under his palm.

 

Sungjin keeps his straight face on.

 

“Why? Why didn’t you just tell me the truth? You knew how much I hate twisted tongue and you still purposely lie to me. Why Sungjin?!”

 

Sungjin sighed, “Because I know you too well. I knew how would react. I even knew you will be angry in either way. So, instead of telling you first, I figured it’s better if you meet her yourself.” He talked back.

 

Heechul groaned at him angrily.

 

“Jerk.” She cursed, didn’t even care about her condition of carrying a baby at all.

 

She just feels angry, that is what she knew.

 

“Come on Heechul, calm down.” Sungjin surrendering, raising his hand up, “You’re pregnant and it’s not good for the baby if you this stressful.” He said, calmly holds Heechul’s hand and pulled her onto the chair to rest.

 

Heechul was still frowning hard. She’s really irritated with her in law’s attitude but she understood that he is right on that stressful part. She sits on the couch. Crossing her hands on the chest, he glares at him and waits for him to continue talking.

 

“So?”

 

Sungjin sighed again.

 

“I’m not trying to lie to you or anything, Heechul. Truthfully, I met her only twice and even now, she still didn’t want to see me. Because of that, I thought maybe, maybe after she met you, you will be able to convince her to ‘come’ back.” He explained.

 

Sungjin looked into Heechul’s eyes.

 

“I’m sorry Chullie.” He apologized, “You can hate me all you want. I’m just really sorry. But, I’m really stuck right now. I’m happy to be able to meet her again but the reaction she gave was too much expected. Though I feint it, it still hurts. I didn’t know what else I should do. I’ve talk to Yun and Dongwoo but they also didn’t expect to meet her again. And more or less as Sungmin’s teacher now. I didn’t mean to lie to you, but of all people, you understood her best. And of all people, I thought that you will be able to understand me more.” he added long.

 

Heechul was silence whilst listening to the explanation. Her eyes already moistened with the talk. After a long of silence, she let out a heavy sigh. Her eyes narrowed looking at Sungjin.

 

“Idiot.” She scolded him, “You should at least notify me, idiot yakuza.”

 

Sungjin chuckled and just grins back at her.

 

“I am an idiot after all.” He admitted.

 

FLASHBACK END

 

###################################################

 

Back to the present time, Heechul was still alone by the lawn, staring into space. Everything said by Sungjin has some points in it. True, being the only sibling of each other family, she and Sungjin does have a lot in common. They are both alone and hurt by the death of Sungmin’s parents. They are both hurt by the betrayal among the people they knew. And also, they are both the main and solely support of Sungmin that she got. That’s why, among any other people around Sungmin, only they each other that understand themselves the best.

 

And yet, it does trouble her heart a bit by the reunion. She has missed Leeteuk for ages, ever since her sister’s death. She longed for her support the most since she was left being the only girl that is alive from Sungmin’s family. She felt betrayed when Leeteuk chose to run away instead of facing the truth about Sungmin’s parents’ death. But seeing her now, all shock and totally unexpected, she’s unsure what kind of feelings she had.

 

Angry? Betray? Love? Which one of it, she isn’t certain. What Sungjin said and did to her is right. It is a good choice to not tell her beforehand and let she met with Leeteuk on her own. The least is, she had no other detour but to just deal with the truth. The truth of their past that they used to bury long time ago. The truth that they lied to Sungmin altogether.

 

“Hey.” A voice suddenly greeted.

 

Heechul jumped a little and makes a quick turn behind.

 

“Dongwoo.” She called the man.

 

Dongwoo flashed his gummy smiles. Without being invited, he voluntarily takes a seat beside Heechul.

 

“Where’s Geng?” he asked.

 

“He went out with Sungjin and Yunho. They got all-nighter again tonight, they said.” Heechul casually answered.

 

Dongwoo grinned, “Ehhh…all-nighter and leaving his pregnant wife alone. That’s quite unusual for him. Does his love for you weaken?” He mocked.

 

“Shut up, idol.” She punched him playfully on the shoulder by the tease.

 

The man laughed followed by a chuckle from Heechul too. After that, they fell into silence. They didn’t say anything but just silence. Both are looking far ahead thinking of something inside. Actually there is not much to be said between the two of them. They already got a hitch about what’s happening around them with just the look of their eyes.

 

“Did you know about it?” Heechul was first to break the silence.

 

Dongwoo replied to her with hum, “Just recently actually.” He added.

 

“Have you seen her?”

 

“I stalk her at school after I found out.” Replied Dongwoo again after a nod, “She looks different, but a good different. Isn’t it great?”

 

Heechul agreed, nodding her head few times, “She has always suited with the color white. It’s her favorite color after all. And seeing she in her white coat, being the one she is now makes me think that she never forget her dream. I’m glad that what happened to us didn’t completely destroy her life.” Heechul confessed.

 

“What happened to us?” Dongwoo repeated, “Yeah…true on that.” he added to which only both of them could understand the meaning behind the words.

 

“So?” Dongwoo turned to Heechul, “What are you going to do next? Are you going to show yourself to her again?”

 

“Show?” Heechul scoffed, “I’m going to drag her home, that’s what I’m going to do. I will tie her down and make sure she will never leave me again.” She determined.

 

Dongwoo chuckled, “Hahaha…it is really just like what you will do. Well, it’s great then. I want her to come back too.”

 

They fell into another silence.

 

“I miss them, Dongwoo.” Heechul confessed out of blue, “I really miss them and our time. I miss the past when we know nothing but just us. I missed everything that we share. And what I miss the most,” she paused and take a breath, “Are time when all five of us were together.” She added.

 

Dongwoo let out a small sigh.

 

“I miss them too, Chul. I do.” Said Dongwoo to her.

 

He shifted closer and put his hand on Heechul’s shoulder, hugging her firmly. Heechul leaned more into the warmth and lays her head on Dongwoo’s shoulder. She’s actually restraining herself from crying again. Talk about being strong, she is actually very vulnerable with the talk about their past.

 

The five people that Heechul referred too were actually the one she sworn as siblings since she’s teenager. They are the one she loved the most. But, everything has changed completely. From five, there are two left which consists of her and Dongwoo only. Her first sworn sister, her real sister, has already forever left her. The other sworn sister, her best friend, decided to run away from the reality and left her. And lastly is the man that said to have betrayed her family, Sungmin’s family but remained special as her brother in heart. Even though many years had passed, there’s not a day went by without her thinking about them. With the unexpected reunion now, she prayed, she wants her family to complete once again. Both of them, she and Dongwoo hoped for the same thing.

 

 

###################################################

 

 

Sungmin greeted Leeteuk with a basket of mandarin oranges on the next morning. Though surprise and still in deep thought about yesterday’s meeting, Leeteuk tried her best to act normal in front Sungmin. She’s been anxious for the whole night after the encounter with Heechul. She’s afraid about what might be Sungmin’s reaction if she knew about their collision past. But, from the way Sungmin treated her that morning, it seems that Heechul still didn’t say anything about her to the girl. Moreover, she’s already aware from someone that Sungmin is completely clueless about her past. It leads more to the reason why Sungmin didn’t recognize her on her first meeting.

 

“My mama chooses these mandarin oranges herself unnie.” Informed Sungmin with the brightest smile, “Mama said, it’s a sign of fortune. And she wants me to share with the people I like the most. So…since I love unnie, I think this basket of oranges belongs to you.” She presented her the gift.

 

Leeteuk chuckles sweetly to hear such reason.

 

“Thank you so much, Sungminie.” She thanked, “You are also whom I love the most.” She said sincerely.

 

Sungmin’s smile widened listening to such praise.

 

“Is this only for me? You’re not being bias of me from your friend right?”

 

“Of course not. All my friends got it. Though yours is a bit differ. I know you will definitely share these oranges with Kangin oppa for sure, right~~” Sungmin teased.

 

“Yes, yes, you’re right.” Leeteuk chuckled, pinching Sungmin’s cheek.

 

Sungmin giggled by the touch feeling glee. After that, Leeteuk went to make some tea to enjoy together with the girl, since it’s their break time.

 

“I…saw your mama yesterday, Sungminie.” Leeteuk speaks up almost inaudibly.

 

“Really? you met up with my mama, unnie? That’s great.” Sungmin’s attention sparked towards her, “I’ve been wanting to introduce you but just didn’t have the time.” She nagged, pouting.

 

“But,” Sungmin’s mood changed again into a happy one, “What do you think about my mama, unnie?” she asked for her opinion.

 

Leeteuk could almost see sparkles in Sungmin’s eyes by the topic. Her expression softened. A small smile formed slowly on Leeteuk.

 

“She’s a beauty.” She praised, sincerely.

 

Sungmin’s smile instantly bloomed hearing the compliment. She’s always glad whenever people praised her mama. It never fails to make her proud of being her ‘daughter’.

 

“Tell me more about her, Sungminie. I heard many students talk about her popularity worldwide. What did she do for living for example?” Leeteuk brave up her courage to ask Sungmin since the topic is already out.

 

She used the opportunity to know further about her long-lost sworn sister. She has been really curious about her (Heechul’s) doing in all those years of their separating. Sungmin hummed while tilting her head to the side cutely, thinking of the best assertion to talk about her mama.

 

“Well…” she starts by trailing, “As you heard, mama is famous. She used to be a model before and still a model now by part-time. But, apart from that, mama’s popularity is actually because of her clothes’ designs.”

 

“Eh? Design? Your mama designed clothes?”

 

Sungmin nodded enthusiastically, “Her full time career is a fashion designer. Most of my clothes were usually designed by her. Also, she’s the one who help me in my fashion sense the most. Mama even had a label of her own.”

 

Sungmin readily explained with Leeteuk by the side, listened to it tentatively.

 

“Mama said, it’s her childhood dream to be involved in the fashion industry. She also said, being a fashion designer is actually in fulfilling both her and my umma’s earnest desire.”

 

Leeteuk’s face transformed into a tense one when Sungmin said the word umma. Guilt that she carried in all the past years slowly overwhelms her. It pained her heart more to see Sungmin innocently talk about her parents especially about something closely related to her sworn sister. She quickly averted her eyes away before spilling any tears. She really isn’t ready yet to let Sungmin know about her real identity.

 

Coughing softly clearing , Leeteuk drink her tea.

 

“You…you must be very proud.” She commented nervously, still didn’t dare to make an eye contact with Sungmin.

 

Sungmin’s zealous nod is enough to answer her statement. She instinctively smiles.

 

“Of course I am proud, unnie.” Sungmin strengthened, “Now that she got a label of her name, I am prouder. My uncles and baba also fully support her all the way.”

 

Leeteuk’s attention instantly focused with a word from Sungmin’s statement, “Baba?” she repeated, “Sungmin…is your mama…”

 

“Yup, she’s married.” Sungmin help finished off Leeteuk’s words, once again leave the elder in a frozen state.

 

“My baba is Chinese so that’s why I called him baba. He and mama married each other after knowing for 3 years and 2 years of pursuing and persistent.” Sungmin explained willingly, “Baba often told me that it’s really difficult to please mama at first, with her unpredictable mood and everything related. But, he challenged himself and he succeeds in capturing mama’s heart. And did you know unnie,” Sungmin grinned wider, “I’m going to get a baby sibling.” She informed gleefully.

 

Leeteuk’s eyes grew big three times than normal. Shock and happy, her eyes glistened with tears once more with the mixed feelings. She heaves a long sigh of relief.

 

She’s married, and going to have a baby. She has move on confidently and happy too. Great. That is just so great. She told her herself mentally.

 

“Congratulations, Sungminie.” She told the latter, patting her head affectionately, “I wish the best for you and your family.” She added.

 

“Em!” Sungmin nodded agreeing.

 

They smile to each other happily.

 

“Anyway, change of subject.” Leeteuk claps her hands once, “Why are you alone actually Sungminie? Where are your friends? Aren’t you worried that they might be looking for you?”

 

Sungmin shook her head left and right, “It’s totally fine, unnie. I’ve already told them I’ll be here. Moreover, I already promised Kangin oppa to keep you company until he finish off his re-test. I am a good dongsaeng, right?” she claimed, raising her eyebrows ups and downs few times.

 

Leeteuk laughed softly, “Proud dongsaeng.” She joked and they laughed at it together.

 

“But, I am telling the truth. Oppa wants me to stay with you and I am more than just willing. Ah, me and my friends planned to go to a café later, wanna join us, unnie?” she invited.

 

“No, thank you for the offer.” She reclined politely, “I don’t want to bother you youngsters’ leisure time.”

 

Sungmin pouted, “But, I really want you to try the café’s tea.”

 

“Why? Is there anything special?”

 

Sungmin replied her with few vigorous nods, “Of course there is. The tea is very delicious, unnie. Its fresh and clear scent that could clear any mind that drink. Its taste that is so unbelievable and mysterious…in other words, it’s good.” She ended her description, “I’m positive, once you try it, you’ll fall in love with it right away.”

 

“Re~ally?” Leeteuk fakes her not trustable face, “Will you treat me then?”

 

“No problem!” Sungmin thumbed up, agreeing, “I’m sure I’ll manage with just tea.” She grinned.

 

A laugh once again escaped from Leeteuk.

 

“Let’s make a pinky promise.” She said, holding out her pinky finger towards her.

 

Leeteuk meekly nodded and they sealed the promise together. Honestly, even without Sungmin’s treat, she will agree to her no matter what. All Sungmin has to do is pout and she’s certain anyone will melt by her cuteness, including and especially herself. And yet, it amused her to see Sungmin’s determination of treating her that makes her immediately agreed by the request.

 

Sungmin’s phone vibrated. The girl quickly looks and read the content of the message.

 

“Your friend?” Leeteuk guessed.

 

“Em! It’s Hae. She said she’s finishing her dance practice in few minutes. So, we’re meeting later together with her boyfriend.” She explained.

 

“Finish up your tea then, before you go. Can’t let your friends waiting, right?” Leeteuk reminded her.

 

But Sungmin, instead of quickly agree, she giggled. Leeteuk frowned confusingly.

 

“Don’t worry about them, unnie. I’m sure they wouldn’t mind waiting for me a bit. Unlike me, Wookie and Hae have their boyfriends to keep them company.” She rebutted, “They knew so much on how to spend their time wisely.”

 

Leeteuk stares with mouth gaping at Sungmin’s reasoning. She laughed softly.

 

“You’re really optimistic. Don’t you ever feel jealous of them?”

 

“Jealous? Who? Them? Why should I?” she questioned back innocently.

 

“Because they have a lover but not you?” Leeteuk answered her with a question back.

 

Sungmin pouted. She took a piece of the oranges and eats it.

 

“I am envy. Hae and Wookie both look so happy whenever they talk about their boyfriend and their relationship. So, there is a tint of jealous there.” She admitted, “But, apart from that, I think I am good this way. I’m happy.” She grinned.

 

Leeteuk smiled back to her, agreed. Sungmin is happy, she told herself.

 

“Furthermore unnie, all my family members are against it.” Sungmin whispered, speaking the truth, “They, especially Jin-chan and mama, warned me about getting a boyfriend during study. They said, I’m still young.” She explained.

 

“And you are.” Leeteuk fast added, “Your mama and uncles are right about that part. The love will come on the right time. And if it is true love, it can also wait, right?”

 

Sungmin nodded enthusiastically, agreeing to Leeteuk’s statement.

 

Still, a smirk suddenly formed on Leeteuk’s lips, “But Sungminie…”

 

“Hm?”

 

“You like Kyuhyun, right?”

 

Slightly jumped by the sudden question, Sungmin’s face turned into a bright red tomato of shyness. Leeteuk laughed, enjoying teasing the girl.

 

“I am right. You do like Kyuhyun.” She teased more.

 

“Unnie!” Sungmin protested, embarrassed by the teasing.

 

“Please don’t tell anyone about it. I don’t really want anyone, especially Kyukyu to know.” Sungmin warned.

 

But, I’m sure Kyuhyun already sense your feelings, dear. Leeteuk replied inside, quite different than what she spoke of.

 

“I promise I’ll keep it a secret.”

 

Sungmin smiled satisfyingly by the promise. She knew that everyone around her might already guess her feelings, but she determined to not telling yet. Despite being afraid of her overprotective family members, she also isn’t yet ready to be in any relationship. For now, it’s good enough that she and Kyuhyun is best friend to each other. Soon after that, Kangin appeared at the door, sighing tiredly. Just as he about to complain of his life, all his stress vanished seeing the smiles of her beloved people.

 

“How’s your test, oppa?” Sungmin asked, eyeing him with her big doe eyes.

 

Kangin huffed a deep breath, “Good I guess. I probably am able to pass the final this year.” He said, full of confidence.

 

“That’s great!” Sungmin cheered, “I know you can do it, oppa. And I’m sure Youngjin uncle will be so proud of you.”

 

Kangin laughed out loud, “Yeah, he must be happy.”

 

Sungmin laughed together with the man and suddenly her phone vibrates again. She looked and read the message.

 

“I gotta go now, unnie.” Claimed Sungmin, standing while getting herself ready.

 

“Your friends have arrived?”

 

Sungmin nodded, answering Leeteuk’s question, “Kyukyu is also there. I’ll see you again tomorrow, unnie. You too, oppa. Bye bye.”

 

Sungmin hastily waved and left the room, vanished behind the closed door. Leeteuk watched her with a big smile, feeling like a proud mother.

 

“She’s always hyper about meeting her friends.” Kangin commented, inviting himself to eat without being asked.

 

Leeteuk softly giggled at his statement, “They are her best friends after all.” she defended.

 

Kangin sighed, but agreed nonetheless. He takes another orange to peel but this time, a piece of paper falls out together with it. Frowning confusingly, he reads it

 

“Teukie, is this yours?” he asked, showing the paper to her.

 

The paper exchanged hand. Leeteuk’s face turned stiff after reading the note. And Kangin obviously notice it.

 

“Teukie?” Leeteuk flinched when Kangin’s hand touch her, “Hey.” Kangin forced her to face up with his eyes, “What’s wrong.” He ordered sternly.

 

Leeteuk’s eyes watered. She gulped bitterly and pushed herself into Kangin’s arms.

 

“It’s nothing.” She mumbled in his hug, but Kangin can feel it clearly that his shirt getting wet.

 

Without saying anything else, Kangin circled his arms around Leeteuk cautiously.

 

Let’s meet, Jungsoo.

 

He recalled the words written on the note. He’s not certain but he knew it has something to do with her past. Leeteuk might deny when he ask but he knew just how to make her talk the truth later. For now, he’ll stay silence and showed her that she’s absolutely not alone.

 

 

 

TBC

 

 

~~Sorry if it’s not to your expectation…readers and comments are always welcome^^ hehehe…~~